Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies that had Great Initial Success and, then, Chirp, Chirp, Chirp

skydog757

A-List Customer
That was my favorite movie when I was a kid, especially the soundtrack.

I knew even before I posted that that would most likely be your response, Ms. Maine. That's why I tried to qualify my statement as much as I could. I, as always, respect your opinion greatly but Moon really was one of the first films that I remember being over-hyped. The whole real-life father/daughter relationship and this being Tatum's very first acting bit seemed to overshadow the film itself. Pretty Baby (1978) falls into the same category, but for vastly different reasons.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
.... But even then I noticed that Tatum O'Neil seemed to have one, and only one, facial expression.

That's the one. I resented her because I could make that face too, and I even had the same haircut. And I did it first.

I cannot imagine Our Miss Lizzie, even at that tender age, hollering out in a sheriff's office, "I HAVE TA GO TO THE S***HOUSE !!"

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I respectfully disagree. That, to me, is Lizzie - straightforward, honest, absolutely no sugar coating and no interest in euphemism. Also, if she had to go, she'd let you know.

Honesty as to the sentiment, of course, but sans the maledicta employed by the nine year old Miss Addie Loggins (the Tatum O'Neal character) in the scene. At least if her mom or grandmother was within arm's length. Although if she was accompanied by the legendary longshoreman aunt... maybe not so much. Am I correct, Lizzie?

Honesty as to the sentiment, of course, but sans the maledicta employed by the nine year old Miss Addie Loggins (the Tatum O'Neal character) in the scene. At least if her mom or grandmother was within arm's length. Although if she was accompanied by the legendary longshoreman aunt... maybe not so much. Am I correct, Lizzie?

First and most importantly, I know all of us mean all of this only in good fun.

My impression is that depending on the supervising relative and the mood of the day, the profanity might have been acceptable or might have been subject to a physical rebuke, but either way - my guess - our Lizzie, even at 10, would have fired it out if frustrated enough.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was two years old, my mother was pushing me thru a store in grocery carriage. I pointed at every item, object, and person in the store and said "That's sh*t."

My mother just smiled at everyone and said "I'm babysitting. Ain't she a brat?"

We didn't call it the sh*thouse. We were refined and elegant and called it "the can."

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
When I was two years old, my mother was pushing me thru a store in grocery carriage. I pointed at every item, object, and person in the store and said "That's sh*t."

My mother just smiled at everyone and said "I'm babysitting. Ain't she a brat?"

We didn't call it the sh*thouse. We were refined and elegant and called it "the can."
Reminds me of myself when I was a kid. When I was 3, I called a preschool teacher an a**hole. My grandfather, whom to this day I find may have rubbed off on my a little more than anybody had realized, thought it was the funniest thing he ever heard.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Reminds me of myself when I was a kid. When I was 3, I called a preschool teacher an a**hole. My grandfather, whom to this day I find may have rubbed off on my a little more than anybody had realized, thought it was the funniest thing he ever heard.

I was at a family at age three when my dad threatened to spank me for running into the street. I turned to my dad, shook my crooked little index finger at him and exclaimed, "Daddy.. you're an a**hole!!" He said years later that he wanted to crack me, but my grandfather was laughing so hard, he didn't dare.

After re-watching it, I think "On Golden Pond" stinks. Sorry... don't know what I was thinking when I first saw this.

Worf

Haven't seen it in (I think) twenty or more years, but remember thinking it was a good not great (and overhyped - it got a lot of press in its day) movie. I'm almost tempted too watch it now to see if "stinks" would be my impression.

skydog757

A-List Customer
After re-watching it, I think "On Golden Pond" stinks. Sorry... don't know what I was thinking when I first saw this.

Worf

Like Paper Moon, most of the noise was about the real life father/daughter connection. Some movies have a "hook" that has nothing to do with what's on the screen. I remember watching Pond way too many times when HBO first got the rights, but I have not seen it since which means that I really haven't chosen to revisit it. The two best things I remember about it were Hepburn and that Cris Craft boat. A pleasant film, nothing more to me.

Like Paper Moon, most of the noise was about the real life father/daughter connection. Some movies have a "hook" that has nothing to do with what's on the screen. I remember watching Pond way too many times when HBO first got the rights, but I have not seen it since which means that I really haven't chosen to revisit it. The two best things I remember about it were Hepburn and that Cris Craft boat. A pleasant film, nothing more to me.

I seem to remember a bikini, a dock and a dive - but I also remember the Cris Craft, a beautiful boat.

skydog757

A-List Customer
I actually did consider mentioning that scene, but I thought it might undermine the high-minded approach I was striving for. But, yeah, that was pretty great . . .

I actually did consider mentioning that scene, but I thought it might undermine the high-minded approach I was striving for. But, yeah, that was pretty great . . .

After 5000+ posts, FL member are well aware that I am not high-minded, so I had nothing to loose. In truth, the comment about the loons, as Lizzie mentioned, is probably the first thing that comes to mind when I think of that movie as Hepburn's voice burned it into my brain synapses.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

Worf
I always remember the Playboy magazine parody, in which they suggested classic or modern movies that could be remade with a science-fiction slant. This one, they said, could feature multiple generations of people who incubate in cocoons. Title: On Golden Pod.

skydog757

A-List Customer
The Artist (2011) drew a lot of attention upon release, but I don't hear it named-checked very often nowadays. A black and white silent film in 2011 was a pretty unique item so there was plenty of attention, but there are Chaplin films (among others) that worked much better within that format that are still available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner