Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Multiple things I would like to say

MattR

New in Town
First off I am new to this site, so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Matt, I live in Colorado and I am 20 years old. I work at the local movie theater and play paintball in my spare time.

Now onto my next thing, I am new to buying fedora's and am not really sure what to look for in one, I would like to find one in my price range $30-$40. color is of no real importance to me. would prefer wide brim though.

I do already own one crushable brown fur felt fedora made by Bailey, I found it at an ARC for $20 seems to be in good condition besides the leather band on the inside of the hat is a little bit messed up. Will try to get some pics of it up. Unsure of how to fix the inside band or where I could take it to get it cleaned ect...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome Matt.
For that price range & depending on your head size ebay & vintage are the way to go.
I've got a couple of Stetson crushers that give me good service but mainly wear felt lids = equal mix of new factory, custom, & vintage.
I ship mine out for cleaning & repair work = Buckaroo Hatters & South Street Hats.

MattR

New in Town
Yeh I've searched through ebay, Found a couple things, but always backed off afraid that when I got it, it wouldn't fit...

Also, could you tell me how I upload pictures into a post?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MattR said:
First off I am new to this site, so I would like to introduce myself. My name is Matt, I live in Colorado and I am 20 years old. I work at the local movie theater and play paintball in my spare time.

Now onto my next thing, I am new to buying fedora's and am not really sure what to look for in one, I would like to find one in my price range $30-$40. color is of no real importance to me. would prefer wide brim though.

I do already own one crushable brown fur felt fedora made by Bailey, I found it at an ARC for $20 seems to be in good condition besides the leather band on the inside of the hat is a little bit messed up. Will try to get some pics of it up. Unsure of how to fix the inside band or where I could take it to get it cleaned ect...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would also think EBay. A new hat in that price range is likely to be low in quality. Ebay has a wide range of choices, and some of them you can snag for what you want to pay. Plus you get the look of an era gone by.

Matt,

Get an idea from trying on some hats, or use a tape measure to measure your head. From there you can go online to check a size chart to see about what size you would be. Most vintage hats are fairly accurate to size, and if it's slightly large, you can always put something in the band to make it fit. If you're on a limited budget, Ebay, your local antique, vintage clothing or Goodwill store is a good bet.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome, MattR, you've come to the right place. I don't know what kind of experience you have with men's hats, but I strongly suggest you look at the stickies regarding this subject. They will assist you with care, terminology, fitting, etc.

If you're looking for wool felt, you may as well get what you can for under $50 and don't worry too much about repairs unless it's something you can do yourself. You'll have luck at Burlington Coat Factory, some Dilliards and even some Jos. A Banks. Because hats have returned to being fashionable again, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding wool and cotton variants. Hold off on repairs because wool tends to be of lower quality and not typically worth the trouble. If you're bent on wool, you might try online for some Stetson Cashmere hats, which are around $80.

If you're looking for fur felt, you should try various antique shops that will likely get their hands on estate sales. Otherwise, eBay is a good source - but as always caveat emptor. Fur felt in your price range will be hard to find, and most definitely used. Burlington Coat Factory actually sells 100% fur felt hats for $30 or under, but they're nothing to shake a stick at. If a fur felt needs fixing or cleaning, you should read over the board for tips to see if you can do it yourself. If ever there is a question, I would send a nicer hat away and leave it to the professionals.

Overall, I suggest saving your money and waiting for a fur felt Akubra or Stetson. Or, if you're lucky, finding a vintage Dobbs, etc.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm . . . . welcome . . . Matt . . . .
Yeah, we'll put out the welcome mat for you.
Everything you wanna know on the subject you'll find here. You're in the right place.

MattR

New in Town
dsc00344vz.jpg

dsc00342wz.jpg

donnc

One of the Regulars
Just from the picture, and "crushable", if you hadn't said it was fur felt, I would have guessed wool. At any rate, it's a casual style, and if it suits you, for $20 it's a deal. For more of a "dress" style, that's where it gets difficult.

It might be a good idea to look for something with a relatively narrow brim. That gives you a chance be kind of stylin' without being super weird, as narrow brim fedoras have been somewhat fashionable in recent years, and since hats have been moving in that direction for decades, you can find lots of fine narrow brim fedoras for auction for cheap, and in good condition, while the collectors fight over older hats with crumbling sweatbands etc.

MattR

New in Town
donnc said:
Just from the picture, and "crushable", if you hadn't said it was fur felt, I would have guessed wool. At any rate, it's a casual style, and if it suits you, for $20 it's a deal. For more of a "dress" style, that's where it gets difficult.

It might be a good idea to look for something with a relatively narrow brim. That gives you a chance be kind of stylin' without being super weird, as narrow brim fedoras have been somewhat fashionable in recent years, and since hats have been moving in that direction for decades, you can find lots of fine narrow brim fedoras for auction for cheap, and in good condition, while the collectors fight over older hats with crumbling sweatbands etc.

Yeah, when I bought it, it still had tags, original price was $59 says its water repellent.
I do own 2 narrow brim, which I wear for everyday use one is gray with black band and the other is black with white/black stripe band.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Matt

You're young and agile ...

Start making the rounds of the thrift shops, antique shops, even junk stores.

Several years ago, I stopped in a little junk store that had the whole front filled up with old plumbing supplies and on a table were two mint condition Knox dress hats priced right.

You just never know what's going to turn up, but it takes a lot of searching.

Regarding new hats ... you might be happier with one $120 fur felt hat than with three $40 wool felt ones.

Just a thought ...

Good luck,

Sam

Hey gtdean, where did you get that cool open road jacket and is it leather?

Steve, it is leather, a commercial A-2 style. The artwork was done by HarpPlayerGene. More examples of his work are over in the Outwear thread. I told him I wanted a vintage Harley on the open road after seeing the Stratoliner jacket for RBH. I sent him photos of my 1978 ElectraGlide & of some 1958 DuoGlides. He came up with all the rest. I provided him the jacket.

laotou

One of the Regulars
Welcome to The Lounge Matt from a fellow highlander.
The fella's are right about thrift stores, it just takes patience, persistence and a little luck.
Try to get to The Greeley Hat Works They can help you find your size and do repair. Nice folks and GREAT workmanship.
If your in the 7--71/4 range I know of a vintage stash in a store in northern CO., but don't tell anyone;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart