Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music videos displaying vintage fashion

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
Janet Jackson's "Alright" (1990)
200px-Alrightvid1.jpg

This music video resembles a 1930's musical and features Cyd Charisse, The Nicholas Brothers and Cab Calloway in one of his last on-screen appearances.

The video begins with Jackson and two dancers in zoot suits sitting on a bench. A paperboy throws newspapers on them. They wake up and read the frontpage of the newspaper. They find out Cab Calloway is in town. Jackson and her dancers take a cross town journey to Cab Calloway's movie premiere "Alright."

At the premiere, Jackson, her dancers, and Calloway fans wait for Calloway to make his entrance. Jackson imagines herself as Calloway's guest and gets pushed on to the red carpet. Calloway takes her hand and helps her up. Jackson and her dancers get in Calloway's limo.

They arrive at large dance out in the middle of a street. Jackson and her dancers climb on the back of a car and Jackson notices her watch is missing. They get off the car and are sprayed by a street cleaning truck. They sit on the bench. Later that night, Jackson and her dancers are homeless people asleep on the bench—revealing the video to have been a dream. Cab Calloway, in the meantime, walks to the bench and places Jackson's watch in her hand. He sneeks away saying, "Alright."

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
gluegungeisha said:
I suppose this is really stretching it, but...
some of these muppets are lookin' pretty classy!

Heehee! I miss the Muppets.

:eek:fftopic:

From that video, I found the two Muppet versions of the song, Mahna Mahna. It's a fun song and I've loved it since the first time I heard it on Sesame Street. Everytime I watch Benny Hill and that song is played, I think about the Muppets. :D

There's also a very beautiful song on his show that I've only heard in French. I remember Louise English singing it on his show on at least one occasion. I've never known what it's called. Can anyone tell me?

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo