Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musical Parodies.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Indiana Jones is a huge favorite here on the Fedora Lounge, and for good reason. But with this thread I'm honoring the other Jones, the one actually of days gone by - SPIKE!!

Pure Comedic Genius!

Spike Jones has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, with his version of William Tell Overture being a particular favorite. I've enjoyed his musical parodies since about the same time that I discovered another, later parody favorite, Alan Sherman. One of my favorites of his is Good Advice. I can listen to that one over and over. (I have that vinyl album shown at the end of this video, as well as a couple others.)

(While typing this, I clicked on another Spike Jones video and found this single-scene gem, Nutcracker Suite Pt. 1. Check out the beautiful Victrola! ;))

Tell us about your favorite parody musicians.

Lee

Other actual Spike Jones shorts:
Cocktails for Two. Ladies, check out the vintage dresses near the end. ;)
Blacksmith Song.
Spike Jones featuring Mickey Katz. (Is that Star Trek's Dr. McCoy at the beginning?) What's the movie? Is that Katherine Grayson singing?
And a Short Documentary: Spike Jones, the Legend, with Wierd Al.

Rachael

A-List Customer
I grew up listening to Spike and Yogi Yorgesson on my dad's old Victrola. He loved to tell us how he had purchased it at a garage sale for a dollar when he was ten (1946); that's why I hate to throw out old technology now; you never know what you will wish you had kept! Because needles are hard to come by, we would only get out the 78's during the holidays.

A few years back I bought Dad a CD compiliation of Spike Jones music, and was sent two copies in error. I gave the extra copy to my son who loves the music. That and his love for suits gives me hope for the future.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Anna Russell Sings (?)

Anna Russell was a British soprano who developed vocal problems some time in the late 1940's. Instead of giving up her career, she became one of the most hilarious mockers of classical music ever. Think, the opera equivalent of Victor Borge. She did a bit called "How to write your own Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta", another one called "Hamletto", but by far her most famous creation was her 20 minute complete (and completely accurate) condensed version of Wagner's Ring Cycle. She summed up about 19 hours worth of opera in so many minutes. She's completely hilarious.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran