• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Musician's hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AEH, Jan 14, 2009.

1. AEH

AEH One of the Regulars

It seems obvious that there is a higher frequency of hat wearers among musicians than among the average population. Of my own favourite artists people like Dr. John, Van Morrison, Doug Sahm and Willy DeVille comes to mind as long time hat users, and I understand that there are a few active musicians among the members of this forum too.
    Yesterday I stumbled over this web page, and must say that this is an artist that is serious about his hats :eusa_clap

http://www.adrianraso.net/musichats.cfm?mpf=frame

And he is not a bad guitar player too!

2. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues My Mail is Forwarded Here

Gotta get me some o' those.;)

Thanks for the post:eusa_clap

3. Good observation, AEH, about prevalence of hatwearing musicians; you might well be right. I guess it does have to do with the fact that musicians are usually the contrary of being meek, and the wearing of a hat is "out-standing". Interesting "Adrian Raso" link, too. Obviously into hats...

4. I wonder if he knows about this site?...All of his hats look like off the shelf types...I bet he would really gush over a work of ART or one of the many custom hatters here!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

5. Leonard Cohen, one of my favorite artists of all time, is often seen in nice headgear:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Firstly, I own his album Cest La Vie, and it's really good. Reminiscent of Django Reinhart. Second, I dig the hats!

7. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

There are days when I think that you and I are related.

8. Haha. Seriously.

P.S. - Take a look at Ticketmaster.

9. kiltie

kiltie Practically Family

Tom Waits

Went to this show in Houston back in May. The show was the impetus for my totally misinterpreted, tongue-in-cheek "I Hate Hats" thread. Oh well...

[​IMG]

The guy who took these pics had a really great series from the concert.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. GoneSolo

GoneSolo One of the Regulars

:eek:fftopic: I am currently listening to some of his songs (Rhapsody is a great thing). I've never heard of him before but I like what I hear so far. His voice is pretty unique.

11. dschonn

dschonn Familiar Face

I really like the gypsy jazz guitar, and clearly I enjoy hats, or I wouldn't spend much time on this forum, but this Adrian Raso fellow seems to have taken too much of his style from Johnny Depp. The fedora atop a long-haired head, accompanied by a van dyke, screams Johnny Depp wannabe to me. That's my only gripe about him, though, because his music really swings.

I also like Johnny Depp, by the way, at least on screen (I've never met him). I just think that it's important to borrow from many styles to create a look, rather than copy one person.

12. His album New Skin For The Old Ceremony is absolute perfection.

13. A few more musicians and their choice of headwear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

He's also a favorite, and that's a killer shot.

15. For shame I didn't wear a hat at the open mic I went to last night... there weren't a lot of bright stage lights to cut though... still the guy after me had his fedora on.

Putting my Akubra salesman's hat on:

Edie of Edie hats in Vancouver BC talks up the White Stripe's visit to her store in a blog post with a video clip here.

She writes that Jack White bought an Akubra Sydney, mentioning Elvis Costello had earlier chosen the same style.

Some nice Musicians-with-hats photos mixed in with other Edie Hat photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ediehats/tags/ediehats/

16. Octavius

Octavius New in Town

Very good guitarist with a few nice hats. It seems that he's from the Guelph area. That probably explains all the Biltmores. I live about half an hour from Guelph, so I think I'll have to see if he's playing around here any time soon.

17. The Great Merle Haggard wears a fedora often. Plus he looks fantastic in them!

[​IMG]

18. funneman

funneman Practically Family

Speaking of Jack White...

[​IMG]

Love that picture of "The Hag."

19. This is a great thread.

I can't believe I forgot one of my most favorite bands, The Decemberists. I've seen these folks live six times, and there's always at least two band members in hats on stage, not to mention their press photographs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

safetyfast likes this.
  20. ...and James Taylor....

[​IMG]