Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mustard's no good without roast beef

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I'll put it out there right now - this is a completely dorky thread and perhaps too narrow of a niche for this board(?).

I don't really care, though. I LOVE mustard. I think it's the finest condiment on earth (except maybe horseradish). Fine mustard with a strong bite - on steak, potatoes, with cornichons, in sauces, in vinagrette.... some things like steak I absolutely can't eat without it.

I am a fan of Dijon in particular. Dijon mustard originated in 1856, when Jean Naigeon of Dijon substituted verjuice, the acidic "green" juice of not-quite-ripe grapes, for vinegar in the traditional mustard recipe. Maille mustards are my favorite and are one of the most widely available fine Dijon mustards. Founded in 1747, Maille produced vinegars for the King of France. My favorite is their green peppercorn mustard (Moutarde au Poivre Vert), which I've unfortunately never found in the US. I settle instead for their Dijon Originale.

I also really love Edmond Fallot mustard from Beaune in Burgundy, which has a greenish tinge and a mellower flavor and isn't too easy to come by in the US.

Are you a fan? Do you have a favorite mustard (French, German, English, Chinese, Irish mixed with whiskey, flavored mustards?)? A favorite dish that uses mustard as a primary flavor? Please share.

Feraud

Bartender
Near and dear to my heart will always be hot sauce.
Coming in a close second are mustards/horseradish/wasabi.

I don't have a particular favorite right now but we have around three varieties in the fridge. My mustards have got to have a decent bite to it. The mellow yellow stuff is a good entry level condiment for the young kids.. or a ball game. :)
Mustard goes with just about everything. When chowing down on a pastrami sandwich or grillled knockwurst with the boys at Sarge's I need plenty of mustard to go with my meal.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
I Like Mustard!

I'm a Gulden's man myself. It's the only thing I will put on my pastrami. Other mustard tend to overwhelm the taste of fine deli meat. I do use other mustards for sauces or condiments, but Gulden's is just right for sandwiches.

This actually reminds me of a story. A few years ago my friend was working at a deli in Chicago. Being traditional, they did not serve mayonnaise on their cut meat sandwiches. When a customer asked for mayo on their ham or roast beef, it was policy to call the manager over to the table. The manager would patiently listen to the request and then say "Mayo on a sandwich? Man, that ain't right!" and walk away lol

BTW-
I also believe that French's Yellow Mustard is a crime against humanity and I die a little inside when it's the only thing available at a restaurant. Just saying.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mahagonny Bill said:
I also believe that French's Yellow Mustard is a crime against humanity and I die a little inside when it's the only thing available at a restaurant. Just saying.

I think any yellow mustard is a crime against humanity. I don't even like Gulden's, though I know it's a good sandwich mustard. Maybe I don't like it because I'm not really a sandwich gal. I wouldn't even give Grey Poupon a second look until I was forced to buy some recently.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another Gulden's enthusiast here -- a very vintage and honored name in American mustard, and winner of the Gold Medal at the 1900 Paris Exposition. It's also *the* mustard served at Fenway Park, which is about as vintage as you can get.

For cooking, though, I use Colman's dry mustard. A little bit goes a very long way -- and there's no beating the flavor it gives sauces and cheese dishes. Welsh rabbit made with Colman's is about as close to the Perfect Snack as you can get.

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
What's the name?
Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the deli. If I find out, I'll follow up here.

LizzieMaine said:
For cooking, though, I use Colman's dry mustard. A little bit goes a very long way --
Speaking of spicy dry mustard, in my wild days I would make a mustard dip by getting dry mustard power and mixing it with gin! I would put it out with vegetables and BBQ pork slices at a party just to see what would happen. It really was very fierce mustard, more of a dare than a food.

Although, now that I think of it, I'm almost tempted to try it again. Maybe with right mixture it would be more palatable.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Moutarde

If you ever get to Brooklyn, try Restaurant Moutarde. It's a nice little Parision Bistro with every dish somehow based on mustard. Cute, fun, not great but very good. It's in 5th Ave in Park Slppe.

rumblefish

One Too Many
I've eaten mustard sandwiches, mustard on crackers, made my own mustard from powder, seeds and turmeric, and I'm sure I've finished off a few jars (spoon to mouth) that didn't have enough to put back in the refrigerator.

A couple of my recipes using mustard:

Coating for baking fish, like salmon, bluefish, mackerel.

1/4 cup of dijon mustard.
2 teaspoons of fresh dill
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.
Salt and pepper.

Combine all and spread over fillets before baking.

Mustard Salad Dressing

1 Tablespoon each of whole yellow mustard and cracked brown mustard seed.
3/4 cup of olive oil.
1 Tablespoon of honey.
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard.
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar.
Salt and pepper.

On medium/low heat toast the mustard seeds in the olive oil for 7 minutes or so.
Let cool to just warm then put the olive oil, seeds, and the honey into a dressing cruet to slightly warm the honey so it mixes well. Add the remaining ingredients and shake.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
If you ever get to Brooklyn, try Restaurant Moutarde. It's a nice little Parision Bistro with every dish somehow based on mustard. Cute, fun, not great but very good. It's in 5th Ave in Park Slppe.

Thanks for the recommendation! I have been making it to Brooklyn regularly lately.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the recipes, Rumblefish!

For vinaigrette, I mix a couple of spoonfuls of good dijon mustard, then red wine vinegar and EVOO in the ratio of 1:3. Add sea salt and fresh ground pepper and shake until creamy. For a little something extra, add chopped shallots.

This is the kind of vinaigrette that pretty much every family I knew in France made. It's especially good over vine riped tomatoes, olives, basil and fresh mozzarella. The juicier the tomatoes the better - the sweet juice mixes with the mustard vinaigrette and makes the most heavenly concoction to dip your French bread into.

I also have a recipe for seasoning popcorn with dry mustard that's amazing. I'll find it later when I get home.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Roaring Hot Mustard Popcorn

2 quarts popped popcorn (popped in olive oil)
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp ground black papper
dash cayenne
salt to taste

If you have an air popper, just add some olive oil to make everything stick. I always up the spice content of this. I double the dry mustard and add up to 2 tsp or more of thyme, plus extra cayenne.

Haversack

One Too Many
Many different mustards. Many different uses. All good. (Yes, even the French's style. Use white vinegar and ground tumeric when grinding your own own to approximate it.)

Let's see. Edmond Fallot, when I can get it, for general use. Trader Joe's Dijon when I cannot. Plochmann's for when whole-grain mustard is wanted or when I eat weisswurst. Mendicino Mustard for when a hot sweet mustard is needed. Coleman's powdered mustard for cooking with and for corned beef. Different parts of Germany have differrent types. Munich's is mild while that in the Rheinland will scour your sinuses.

Haversack.
"War without fire is like sausage without mustard" Henry V of England. (the real one, not Shakespeare's)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
KittyT said:
2 quarts popped popcorn (popped in olive oil)
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp ground black papper
dash cayenne
salt to taste

If you have an air popper, just add some olive oil to make everything stick. I always up the spice content of this. I double the dry mustard and add up to 2 tsp or more of thyme, plus extra cayenne.

I'm going to try this at work -- nothing like a little spice to get them hopping at the concession stand!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I'm going to try this at work -- nothing like a little spice to get them hopping at the concession stand!

Let me know if you want more! I have a whole recipe book full of great popcorn seasoning recipes.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Always has to be hot English for me. Usually have Colman's mustard powder in the cupboard and a jar of Colman's in the fridge.

Always horseradish cream with roast beef, although the joint often gets a good slather of Colman's before going in the oven.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Always thought horseradish went with roast beef. But, for the summer BBQ hot dog, I recommend "Stadium Mustard," yes, it's actually the brand name.

"Served and enjoyed at Cleveland Stadium for more than 50 years, this mustard now also has the honor of being requested on three space shuttle missions."

http://www.stadiummustard.com/

It's good on a bratwurst too, but it's very hard to find a decent brat in the States. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff