Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Akubra's Too Big

Gibson

New in Town
I wet the leather sweat band once and it shrunk noticeably. I've worn it a good bit too and it's almost perfect now. Thanks again for all the great advice.

panama jack

One of the Regulars
I posted this in the new hat section but it probably should have been posted here instead.

Yesterday I finally received my long awaited Stylemaster. I purchased a medium grey with a black ribbon in a size 60. I only have a few hats so I was a little uncertain on what size to buy.

Just a little history:
Prior to purchasing the Stylemaster I tried on a Borsalino in a 7 1/2 at a local hatter and it fit fine. The 7 3/8 was too tight. I won a Stetson Mallory on e-bay in a size 7 3/8 and it was just a little too loose.
I recently purchased an Optiom from one of our lounge members in a size 7 1/2 and this one came very close to fitting like the Borsalino but was just a little loose as well.
A little felt under the sweatband of each hat and they fit perfect.

The Stylemaster seems to be the largest of the three. It almost make me wish I purchased a 59. I had to go with more felt under the sweatband of this one too. I know that I have read somewhere in someones post that the hat will shrink in time.

My question is, do you think this hat will shrink down to a 59? If not this one might be up for sale soon. My other problem is it's slightly darker that I was hoping for but I thought the moonstone might be too light. If the hat does shrink to fit my head I can live with the color.

Thank you in advance for your comments.
pj

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Old Thread , but ... my Stetson OR 59 , 7 3/8 after the foam is still too large , it's brand new , I've never worn it (looks too goofy) , but it's the water , or a trip to the Hatters for sizing down . I used to wear a 7 1/4 , then bought my first Resistol , a 7 3/8 LO , after a soaking rain it fits like a glove . But my Akubra Bushman was just a little too large , sizing strips helped , but eventually took that out , it's okay now . But that Stetson is crazy large compared to the Akubra and Resistol ! ... ideas and advice ... welcome ... . Thanks !

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Old Thread , but ... my Stetson OR 59 , 7 3/8 after the foam is still too large , it's brand new , I've never worn it (looks too goofy) , but it's the water , or a trip to the Hatters for sizing down . I used to wear a 7 1/4 , then bought my first Resistol , a 7 3/8 LO , after a soaking rain it fits like a glove . But my Akubra Bushman was just a little too large , sizing strips helped , but eventually took that out , it's okay now . But that Stetson is crazy large compared to the Akubra and Resistol ! ... ideas and advice ... welcome ... . Thanks !
The shrinking sweat band trick. Invert the sweat. Saturate with water. Leave inverted Let dry overnight. If more xtreme measures are required re saturate and dry overnight over a light bulb. No responsibility is otherwise assumed or intended...

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Bob , just the hat sweat right ? Turned out ? ... I've been think about it , or Mike Moore , but I can always try . That Resistol , after the soaking Rain , conformed like a custom job . I always heard fill the hat with water , let it soak , dump it , stick it on your noggin and let it dry naturally and slowly . But it's a Silver Belly , don't want it discolored . Capishe' ?
The shrinking sweat band trick. Invert the sweat. Saturate with water. Leave inverted Let dry overnight. If more xtreme measures are required re saturate and dry overnight over a light bulb. No responsibility is otherwise assumed or intended...

Nice Tawny Stetson today , by the way ! Could you give me your observations on sizes between Companies ? Borsalino , Stetson , etc , size variations , charts some say 7 1/4 , others 7 3/8 , I'm 58.5 cm , as far as my measurements , give or take a cm , I guess .

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bob , just the hat sweat right ? Turned out ? ... I've been think about it , or Mike Moore , but I can always try . That Resistol , after the soaking Rain , conformed like a custom job . I always heard fill the hat with water , let it soak , dump it , stick it on your noggin and let it dry naturally and slowly . But it's a Silver Belly , don't want it discolored . Capishe' ?

Nice Tawny Stetson today , by the way ! Could you give me your observations on sizes between Companies ? Borsalino , Stetson , etc , size variations , charts some say 7 1/4 , others 7 3/8 , I'm 58.5 cm , as far as my measurements , give or take a cm , I guess .
Yes. Just the sweat. I'm not into drowning hats. Just me. And thx for the likes. I find slight variations in size from style to style within the same brand and more so from manufacturer to manufacturer. I usually order a size up if I'm unsure and shrink down but if your a tru 59.5 order a 60. I'm a tru 58 and generally order up to 59 when in doubt...unless the vendor tells me it's very tru to size. Stetsons are a bit irregular. I have 58's that are TIGHT and 58's that are roomy... I can't speak for Borsalino as I don't own one.
:(

RJR

Yes. Just the sweat. I'm not into drowning hats. Just me. And thx for the likes. I find slight variations in size from style to style within the same brand and more so from manufacturer to manufacturer. I usually order a size up if I'm unsure and shrink down but if your a tru 59.5 order a 60. I'm a tru 58 and generally order up to 59 when in doubt...unless the vendor tells me it's very tru to size. Stetsons are a bit irregular. I have 58's that are TIGHT and 58's that are roomy... I can't speak for Borsalino as I don't own one.
:(
I have the same experience with slight size variations.Order up if in doubt,imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace