Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My beautiful new briefcase...STINKS!

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I was fondling a Johnston & Murphy lawyer case the other day at the mall. My wife told me to buy it, but I talked myself out of it. When I got home I decided I SHOULD have it. That night I did an Amazon search and found the same case for about $55 less than the store was selling at. It arrived this week and it is GORGEOUS. I love it. The nicest case I've ever owned. But... it stinks like ... mothballs... or something like that inside! I don't want to return it b/c it's otherwise perfect. Any way I can get the stank out?

Stick a box of Baking Soda in there with the top open. Close it up. Let it sit a week. Then, just air it out. I've got rid of that smell fairly quickly before with other items using that process.

hyhats

New in Town
I saw this online, in case the other approaches don't work:

Fill an old nylon stocking with fresh, dry coffee grounds (straight from the can). Place this inside of the [leather object] and allow it to set until the odor is gone. Coffee grounds absorb odors quickly and effectively.

Now I sort of want to find a stinky leather bag somewhere, just so I can try this out! :D

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Stick a box of Baking Soda in there with the top open. Close it up. Let it sit a week. Then, just air it out. I've got rid of that smell fairly quickly before with other items using that process.

I've found this works really well too. Don't skimp on airing it out either, fresh air tends to be underrated as a cure for nasty pongs.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
For really strong cases, if other suggestions don't work: Cat litter. (decent brand, no walmart generic)

In that case (no pun intended) take a fresh box of baking soda and put it in an open container like Tupperware, etc. That way, it has more surface area to absorb odors. Then, let the good old fresh air have a whack at it. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo