Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Capricorn made it! Sort of...

MCrider

A-List Customer
I got home from a hard day at work and what do I find in my mail box? A note saying that a registered box from Australia is waiting for me at the Post Office... which of course was already closed! Finally my Capricorn from EA is here... and now I have to wait until Monday to pick it up! :mad:
But on the positive side, at least it's here waiting for me... in a mailroom. Of course I'll post pics when it's finally in my sweaty hands. And no it's not hot here yet, I'm just excited. :p

Daoud

One of the Regulars
What a co-inky-dinky! I got mine today as well- they just left it on the front porch. I posted a picture on the Akubra Overload.....it was unfortunately hot enough here to wear it a bit (I am in no hurry for summer) and I like it a lot. It isn't a terribly lightweight hat- it weighs 5 oz. and my Fed IV weighs 4.8 oz. on my postal scale- but so far it's very comfortable. My only complaint is the ribbon-It's pretty dull. I'll probably make or buy something jazzier eventually.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Miller has a few....there is another hat retailer whose name escapes me who sell silk solid-color numbers, that seem nice if not really jazzy......but as I said, I might make one. That sort of band, not ribbon, is pretty easy and you can use any kind of cool fabric scraps or even, as I have done in the past, old neckties.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
When did you guys get the shipping notice for these? I have been trying to track mine, but the only tracking update is that it was recieved in LA a week ago. Still waiting to see it...

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I got a notice on 24 Feb. that it would be shipped on "the next post." I don't think the tracking system works once the package is turned over to U.S. Control at L.A. Customs. I know my last one took way longer than it should have to get from L.A. to N.C. That's why I won't ever pay for EMS again- it's meaningless once it gets into the U.S. system, apparently. Best thing to do is not look at the calendar while you're awaiting your new hat. Easier said than done!

MCrider

A-List Customer
It's here! It's here!

So now I'm an owner of a fawn colored Capricorn! Having owned several straw hats that were of so-so quality, I can say this hat is the best looking summer hat I've owned. Unlike most summer straws and Panama's I've seen, the brim isn't too wide which I like. It also seems to be a sturdy hat, but hey it's an Akubra so I expect nothing less. A few nits: the ribbon is pretty lifeless looking so I may also be looking to replace it. And the binding on the brim is slightly frayed in the back. On the positive side it has that flow through section just above the ribbon, so it shouldn't be hot in the summer. Plus it has the absolute softest leather sweatband I've ever felt. I wish I could put one of these on every hat I own. Probably the best part (besides the fit) is the price: $43 including the shipping.

S5030563.jpg

And a view from the side

S5030569.jpg

If anyone is looking for a really good warm/hot weather hat, then I would suggest they gives the Capricorn a look.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Bound Brim

Personally RBH, I've never been a fan of bound brims, at least on felt hats. It makes them too formal looking in my eyes. But on this hat it does add a little flair while at the same time keeping the brim from damage. Now the problem will be to find a different ribbon that's more stylish that also won't look so different from that bound edge.

jec

One of the Regulars
Daoud said:
Just about the time I was getting ready to order a hat band from Miller-$10.00 PLUS $7.00 SHIPPING CHARGE!- I found this site:http://www.e4hats.com/_e/gdept/61/Hat_Band.htm A great selection and much better prices!

THanks for posting that link. Nice selection there - but if you read their description of the hat bands carefully, it sounds as though they are intended to be worn without a hat! Am I reading that correctly?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
jec said:
THanks for posting that link. Nice selection there - but if you read their description of the hat bands carefully, it sounds as though they are intended to be worn without a hat! Am I reading that correctly?

Yes and no. On the page I gave the link to, it reads: e4Hats carries wide variety of hat bands. We have 100% cotton twill head bands. We have Cotton Twill Hat Band-Blue, and Pleated Palm Tree And Flower Hat Band-Yellow to decorate your hats in the summer.

"Decorate your hats-" OK, so far, so good. On the description page, however, it reads:
Product Detail
Try a simple and classic way to stay cool and dry this summer season in our pleated cotton twill hat band. Made from 100% cotton, this red hat features a unique double pleat around the entire band, visually creating three panels from which the hat band looks to be constructed from. An ideal accessory while out working or at play, offering you a great look and versatility as well. Measuring 2 ¼” wide and 27” long, this hat was designed to keep you feeling and looking cool. Get one for yourself or the active person in your life.

So there it does sound like they're describing some sort of sweat-rag.....perhaps people do buy them for that, or perhaps the person who wrote that copy was chemically impaired. But I do know they ARE for hats because finally it reads: Nail on both sides. Available in White, Black, Khaki, Navy, Red and Royal Blue.

So I think that probably refers to the hooks on the bands......unless most of their clientele are masochists.

We will know soon enough- I ordered a couple of bands, whether they be hat, sweat or whatever.........

jec

One of the Regulars
Did your hatbands arrive?

Daoud said:
Yes and no. On the page I gave the link to, it reads: e4Hats carries wide variety of hat bands. We have 100% cotton twill head bands. We have Cotton Twill Hat Band-Blue, and Pleated Palm Tree And Flower Hat Band-Yellow to decorate your hats in the summer.

"Decorate your hats-" OK, so far, so good. On the description page, however, it reads:
Product Detail
Try a simple and classic way to stay cool and dry this summer season in our pleated cotton twill hat band. Made from 100% cotton, this red hat features a unique double pleat around the entire band, visually creating three panels from which the hat band looks to be constructed from. An ideal accessory while out working or at play, offering you a great look and versatility as well. Measuring 2 ¼” wide and 27” long, this hat was designed to keep you feeling and looking cool. Get one for yourself or the active person in your life.

So there it does sound like they're describing some sort of sweat-rag.....perhaps people do buy them for that, or perhaps the person who wrote that copy was chemically impaired. But I do know they ARE for hats because finally it reads: Nail on both sides. Available in White, Black, Khaki, Navy, Red and Royal Blue.

So I think that probably refers to the hooks on the bands......unless most of their clientele are masochists.

We will know soon enough- I ordered a couple of bands, whether they be hat, sweat or whatever.........

Daoud -
Did the bands you ordered from this place arrive yet? If so, how are they? Are you pleased?

Perhaps a photo?

Daoud

One of the Regulars
I have had a heck of a week at work- haven't had much time to post. Yes and yes! I got a couple of bands -didn't like one, and anyway they sent unpleated- so instead of a refund they just shipped the replacement free- it evened out. SO I will post photos tomorrow- perhaps on a new thread.....many of the bands this place stocks are perfect for Panamas. I recommend them- very prompt service -http://e4hats.com/-I will post more later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR