Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My cheerful discussion...

Tin Pan Sally

Back to the top

I just wanted to bring this one back up, because I like it.
I'll add the contagious laughter of 3-4 year old children, sparkly things, the way it feels to walk barefoot on soft carpet, dancing on a hardwood floor.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Taking a walk around the lake near my home with my wife and watching the ground squirrels standing on their back legs...watching us...

Movies:
watching a movie that I've seen countless times that still takes me out of "reality" and brings me into its world. Still finding the Marx Brothers and the Three Stooges to be just as funny now as when I first saw them as a child...

When Kong falls from the Empire State building and I find myself getting choked up...every time...

Slim Pickens whooping and hollering as he rides the bomb in "Dr.Strangelove.."

Seeing the orginal "Mothra" (1961) with subtitles on the big screen of the Castro Theater Theater San Francisco (A beautiful 1930s movie palace with a pipe organ)

Walking with my wife through the streets of Tokyo hunting for treasures in the labyrinthian maze of streets and finally finding some tiny shop we've been searching for...

CharlieH.

One Too Many
- Tex Avery cartoons
- Aging photos on the ole "photo-shoppe"
- The sight of a young lady in full 30's or 40's fashion (or at least in a classic hair-do)
- Wearing my double brasted suit and fedora without getting called a gangster
- The USO scenes from the film 1941
- Benny Goodman's music
- Vintage advertising
- 1920's Jazz
- The "Bojangles Of Harlem" number from Swing Time
- Monty Python (Haven't seen the flying circus in ages)
- My tabletop Philco
- Lionel Trains catalogues
- Sights from the 1939 World's Fair
- The look of a 1939 Ford Convertible Coupe
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- The Marx Brothers

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Wow, I can't believe I just stumbled across this thread - I hadn't seen it before.

:D

I love listening to the CD soundtrack to the motion picture "LA Confidential". It includes somegreat hits such as "Accentuate the Positive" and my favorite "Wheel of Fortune". I've been listening to that CD about twenty times a week for the last few weeks!

I also recieved in the post this week a great CD of the Boswell Sisters following an expert recommedation from Wildroot. It is excellent. It is so soothing.

I also recieved my very first Life magazines (two of them) last Friday. They really are great. They're dated '44 and '46. I never really buy magazines here but for the money I've spent, these Life magazines are worth a hundred modern magazines. I just love the way the ads are so informative and educational.

I also have the love and support of my wife which makes my life so much better. It's so nice knowing that there are "two of you in it"!

One other thing is when I do a good deed or someone does a good deed for me. I undertook some time ago to do one good deed a day, but I haven't been making a specific effort as of late. I shall re-commence effective tomorrow. So Wildroot: who'd of thought that your thread could change people's behaviour over here in Ireland?

I recently was the beneficiary of a good deed / altruistic act from another member here on the lounge who sent me a gift. I couldn't believe it - it really cheered me up so much. I hope I can reciprocate to him or another FL member some day in the future (thank you Peter).

One other thing: I am really greatful to Wildroot for taking the time and effort to get threads like this and other vintage-interest threads going here.

:arated:

I think his threads are the most enjoyable, well thought-out and informative of any member here - and that's saying something! I always perk up when I see there is a new posting from "=WR=".

Thank you all!

Best Regards,

Mr. 'H'.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
A few things that make me happy are...
Playing with my dogs or snuggling with them.
Putting on a great Burlesque performance.
Chain reading my Nancy Drew books.
Being creative...

I know there are more things, but this is just a small list for now... :)

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The FL is a Nice Place!

I like the FL because:

1. Nice people (Thank you Brian!)

2. Great threads 1940's color photos & visiting Howard Hughes place!

3. A welcoming atmosphere.

4. Time travel back to the 1940's, great music & threads!

SC :fing28:

PS Thank you MK for this web site!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
A bunch of cheerful folk!

...With an international dimension....

LONDON
LondonFedoraLoungeGathering026.jpg

L.A.
LAwithRootandMatt008.jpg

...AND EVEN...
IRELAND
DSC_0170.jpg

Hehehe, you never know, I may be able to organize a little get-together over here someday!

jackiemanni

New in Town
I had one of those super-delightful days full of things I love yesterday (I work at a University and they give us off for two days of the student's spring break) - what a great time for this thread!

Drinking huge cups of coffee when I first wake up whilst daydreaming (usually I have to gulp my coffee down and get ready for work!).

Filling up the slow cooker with yummy and nutritious soup ingredients and letting it cook all day as I do other things - at the end of the day I have quarts and quarts of soup!! (yesterday was a great northern bean and kale vegetable soup which you add a little cooked italian sausage and freshly grated parmesan cheese right before serving - it was soooooo good!! and I have a huge container for later in the week and put up another container in the freezer!!)

My neighborhood bargain shopping route! I went out and walked my route (2 thrift/vintage stores and (of all places) ROSS! I love ROSS!). I only take $20 and see what sort of treasures I can find whilst getting some fresh air! Yesterday I came home with a black silk blouse with 3/4 sleeves, frog closures along the front, fitted waistcoat styling, 4 vintage inspired print kitchen towels, and a great mug (my husband had just dropped and shattered his favorite mug so I replaced it as a surprise!). I also came home with $10!! Heh!

Getting books that I place on hold online from the Free Library! I just picked up the John Keegan WWII book yesterday after reading about it on one of the threads here - utterly fascinating book so far!

My dogs. They make me laugh everyday. We gave them a bath - hoo boy were they wild afterwards and looked like fuzzy little bears!

Watching DVDs - we have one of those digital projectors and watch dvds projected onto the wall. The image is very clear and HUGE and it feels like we are in a little art house :) We almost never go to the movies out because we enjoy watching them on the wall so much (and the fact that you can wear your pajamas doesn't hurt either!). This machine is one thing I like about modern times :)

Makin' stuff. Whether it is working on a painting, some needlework, my knitting, etc. - I am totally absorbed and forget about all of the troubles of the world/life/etc! I try and make time to work on something each day - it is sort of like my meditation practice. I did get a tiny bit of needlework in yesterday morning and it made me feel calm and centered.

Jackie.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
jackiemanni said:
Watching DVDs - we have one of those digital projectors and watch dvds projected onto the wall. The image is very clear and HUGE and it feels like we are in a little art house :) We almost never go to the movies out because we enjoy watching them on the wall so much (and the fact that you can wear your pajamas doesn't hurt either!). This machine is one thing I like about modern times :)Jackie.

Cool - where can I get one?

jackiemanni

New in Town
Mr. 'H' said:
Cool - where can I get one?

We got ours at Best Buy or Circut City - I think it was Best Buy - one of those big electronics stores. The brand we have is "InFocus" and we've had it for a little over 3 years and have not any trouble with it :) It makes movie nites very fun too - I usually make food that fits the theme of the film and friends come over to watch BIG on the wall!

Jackie.

matei

One Too Many
I'll chime in with my two cents... emm, pence worth and say that this is a wonderful thread. So often we accentuate the negative and never appreciate the things that make life worth living. Good on ya WR for starting an uplifting, thought-provoking thread!

I initally thought that I'd put in some things that I like or consider fun... and then I realised that there are soooo many that they would never all fit here! This thread made me realise that life isn't so bad after all! ;-)

Hey Mr. H - is that last pic yer new hat? Nice indeed - it suits you!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Getting in the car;

With absolutely no destination planned. Popping in some Sinatra, Cugat, and Martin in the CD and driving until the road ends. Hopefully the road ends at the beach or in Las Vegas. Then it's either lieing on the beach or playing craps.

Lincsong said:
Hopefully the road ends at the beach or in Las Vegas. Then it's either lieing on the beach or playing craps.

Hopefully you don't do too much "Lieing" on the beach. Women tend to find out those things. :p I like lying on the beach better. It never gets me in trouble. ;)
I hope you are not crazy enough to play the same bet five times at the craps table like a friend of mine, who then wonders why he loses or has "bad luck." Duh! :p

Regards,

J

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Great thread idea!

Ditto music & good deeds.

Also, finding you have the courage to take the first steps towards a total complete career change (i.e. possibly starting all over in school again)...

And that terminally cute German young lady who's started even asking other folks to move their stuff to sit next to me every night class in human anatomy & physiology! :fing28:

And finding that I might actually have some aptitude in this potential new career... (funny, highest exam grade is the latest & most difficult, covering low-level molecular organic chemistry processes of the
nervous system & neuron-muscle interaction - definitely more intriguing
than software development!)

grades_so_far.jpg

HEY, anyone who's thinking of a career change to something you know you'll like much better... DONT waste any more time, GO for it!

And a couple years back, finding "The Once In a Lifetime Find" of a quarter million 78s in a warehouse... what a sweeet moment, and a GREAT smell... (thats me after 3 days and 3 nights with minimal sleep, constantly flipping through 78s)

temp_78s_01.jpg
temp_78s_02.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran