Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Dog Chewed My Heels!

jayem

A-List Customer
Today I woke up and saw my lovely, baby puppy gnawing away on my brand new red patent pumps. Needless to say, I freaked. Does anyone have an idea on how to remove bite indents out of patent leather? These are maybe one of the cutest pairs of shoes I've bought, and I'd hate to pitch them over something superficial.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, as far as I know, there's not really any way to get them out. Maybe try taking them to a cobbler to see, but it may be a lost cause. And treat it as a lesson learned to keep your shoes up off the floor. I learned this lesson the hard way after one of my cats left lots of little teeth marks in a pair of Via Spiga pumps I own.

crwritt

One Too Many
You might try steaming them out. Wrap the area in a damp cloth and warm it wit a hair dryer. I would do this briefly on a small section, see if there is any improvement.

Rockapin-up

A-List Customer
I have a pit bull mix and she's destroyed at least 5 pairs of my shoes. Serves me right, you'de think that I would have learned the first time around to put all my shoes safely away :p

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the other ladies here, I can't think of any way to save them :( My boxer used to do this when he was a pup, then I got told to put vicks vaporub on them. It made my shoes a bit smelly, but it stopped him from chewing them!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Phosphoria said:
What is it with pets and shoes?
Unfortunately, I don't know any way to save them.
I've got a dog that does the same, and I've been guessing that they do it because shoes smell like the owners... (ew!) so maybe they are trying to relieve stress and feel closer to the owner by chewing them. [huh]

I have actually been able to save several pairs that met the Jaws. Salvageability depends on what the heel is made of and where the bite marks are because any damage can really only be covered or filled in, and sometimes requires a little ingenuity. I once stuck wood putty on a wood-veneered clog with a savaged heel because it was a pair only worn about the house, so I didn't much care for looks.

The best example of salvaging was a nearly new set of wedge sandals- the dog nearly chewed off one whole heel and stacked cover! You could see the white inner plastic "bone" from way too many places. It was tougher b/c I still wanted to wear them in public, but I had an eureka! moment when I found an old calendar with map pictures. I sanded off the many rough snags and put 4-6 layers of elmers glue on all the holes. I then cut up a page (a Johannes van Loon world map) from the calendar, and pasted them on with a solution of water and elmers glue to cover the entire heel. It worked pretty well, and gave me an excuse to get map fabric for a future dress to match :D

Here's a pic as inspiration for anyone who needs it. You can't tell which shoe was chewed unless you look at the back of the footbed... there's still a small tear in the suede back of one that I couldn't cover up!

shoez.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
JupitersDarling said:
The best example of salvaging was a nearly new set of wedge sandals- the dog nearly chewed off one whole heel and stacked cover! You could see the white inner plastic "bone" from way too many places. It was tougher b/c I still wanted to wear them in public, but I had an eureka! moment when I found an old calendar with map pictures. I sanded off the many rough snags and put 4-6 layers of elmers glue on all the holes. I then cut up a page (a Johannes van Loon world map) from the calendar, and pasted them on with a solution of water and elmers glue to cover the entire heel. It worked pretty well, and gave me an excuse to get map fabric for a future dress to match :D

Wow, that is just downright brilliant!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I did something similar to JupitersDarling with a pair of my shoes- unfortunately no pic though. I had gotten my heel stuck inside of a grate I was forced to walk over and it took a small chunk of leather off of my heel. I found a couple other small pulls in the leather as well. I bought a few swarovski crystals and "randomly" spiced up the heel of my shoe. I made sure to add in just a few more to make it look intentional.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My cat played with my silver lame dance shoes and I couldn't believe it when my cobbler said he could repair them. They looked like a horror movie - claw marks all through the silver multiple times.

He fixed them up and did a brilliant job. Take your shoes to your cobbler (preferably one of the older men who've been doing this for 20+ years) and ask them if they can repair it for you.

Vintage Betty

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
haven't read through the entire thread here yet, but the title caught my attention! My bf adopted a rescue dog, and it chewed the plastic heel protector and an entire heel of a new $130.00 pair of ballroom dance shoes off! The dog also chewed up the bottom of a pocket on his pool table... The shoes were replaced, the pool table is still in the same condition. The dog didn't work out for many other reasons, and it finally ended up going back at the rescue agency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass