Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first fedora...

justified_hat_wearer

New in Town
got my first fedora today, a wool felt stetson yutan, brown in colour. Shirt and jeans (501 only) are my usual attire, was wondering if its acceptable to have the brim more "down" to keep the winter sun out of the eyes, and if say a barbour stockman jacket fits the look?

TallCrownDave

New in Town
stetson-yutan-fedora.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a good hat. Let your mirror be the guide as to how to wear it, and what to wear it with. If you don't know right away, you'll have a better idea after trying it out on the street.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Nice hat. It usually does feel odd when you first wear it. Some people may even make a comment you don't like. Don't let that deter you. Because someday you'll have happen what I experienced today. Went to a shop to have the car aligned. After waiting an hour, they were done and I was waiting to pay when the owner of the shop came up and gave me an odd look before asking where my hat was. I lifted it up (since obviously I wasn't going to wear it inside) and he smiled telling me how nice it looked. Once you get comfortable with it, you'll be known as the hat guy! Of course by then your bank account will be dwindling from buying Akubra's, Stetson's, Borsalino's, a few vintage, then customs etc etc.

Have Fun!
:cool:

Dan Cav

New in Town
Nice choice for a first Fedora......I bought a similar WOOL felt for my first and loved it to bits.........but,might I suggest you try a FUR felt next, the soft smooth texture will seem vastly different to the wool, and dare I say once you go furfelt, there is no going back!! ;)

Enjoy.

@MCrider

I too have experienced that situation around my town, to the point that some people debate at the local coffee shop as to which hat I will be wearing next time I come in. ( as a Fedoraphille, I have quite a few :D) I have even had some stop me in the street and inquire about the vintage hat on my head, and are surprised when I tell them its genuine vintage over 60-80 years old etc.

Last edited:

JAVIER

Practically Family
The evolution of the local hat guy!

Don't get upset if you hear the typical "Indiana Jones" comments some say it in bad taste others mean it as a compliment (even if your not wearing an Indy) enjoy the ride and beware of the hat bug, once you get it its over.

You'll grow to love the "hat guy" comment or the "guy with style", "class", or even the Mafia references as they mean it as compliment. ;)

Again enjoy, and welcome to the board.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
The evolution of the local hat guy!

Don't get upset if you hear the typical "Indiana Jones" comments some say it in bad taste others mean it as a compliment (even if your not wearing an Indy) enjoy the ride and beware of the hat bug, once you get it its over.

You'll grow to love the "hat guy" comment or the "guy with style", "class", or even the Mafia references as they mean it as compliment. ;)

Again enjoy, and welcome to the board.

As long as he stays away from ball caps hey Javier(haha)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
****Thou shalt get thee to a fur felt****

You might forever be soured on hats if you do not soon get a fur felt on your head.

Wool is costume.
The exceptions I can think of (off the top of my head) might be tweed & Tyrolean.

Vintage is The way to go (& if you apply yourself a bit, not difficult to find for usually FAR cheaper than modern factory hats) but top secret hats in London has been good to me, their Adventurer & Swerford resemble most of all we've seen of your tastes. Both super hats for the coin, IMO. But WHO wants to pay VAT?

Bottom line; wool has never done anything other than let me down, my own judgement.

In your' clime you would likely get a great deal of use out of a fur felt, a worthy investment in quality, comfort & authenticity. I would urge you to pursue vintage, ultimately.

.......my .02p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24