Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first hat! A few Q's

Boxytheboxed

New in Town
Bought my first hat, have some questions

I recently purchased my first fedora, and have a few questions.
1- I have both a baseball cap hanger (the hat needs to go over 2 of the metal balls to fit), and a towel hangar that I dont use and was wondering which would be better to hang my hat on
p9210046.jpg

or
p9210060n.jpg

and of course me in the hat:
p9210053.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I'll second that opinion... on one condition.

I can't see the towel hanger too well, or judge it's size, but it looks like it has a sort of edge to it, if you know what I mean. If it does, or if it's pointy, check to see if that part touches the felt, or just the sweatband. Basically, you don't want the felt of the hat resting on a thin, narrow, or small point. The hat might seem light, but the felt will disagree with you over time.

jpbales

Practically Family
i guess it's up to you to figure out whichever it fits on best [huh] but one thing I did in my room was get a 3-prong coat hook (1 long prong and two little ones beneath it, like something you see in bathroom stalls) for less than $10 at Lowes. It's easy to install with an electric screwdriver and they have different sizes and finishes. I got the one with the longest prong which seemed best for a hat (which I assume is why there is indeed a long prong). Here's a pic of it with just a coat:
DSC02614.jpg

and here's a pic of it with a hat as well:
DSC02616.jpg

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
jpbales said:
i guess it's up to you to figure out whichever it fits on best [huh] but one thing I did in my room was get a 3-prong coat hook (1 long prong and two little ones beneath it, like something you see in bathroom stalls) for less than $10 at Lowes. It's easy to install with an electric screwdriver and they have different sizes and finishes. I got the one with the longest prong which seemed best for a hat (which I assume is why there is indeed a long prong). Here's a pic of it with just a coat:
DSC02614.jpg

and here's a pic of it with a hat as well:
DSC02616.jpg

And what hat is that?

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome Boxy! I have a bit of a different idea. I would alternate between the two. In so doing, you will spread the pressure on the hat in different ways allowing the hat to "recover" after being hung. If both hangars are acceptable, I think you should use both. Best, Sam

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I dont hang my hats. I dont like what does to the shape of them. Too much pressure on one point. And the brim often gets distorted, usually from resting on something like the brim of the pictured one is resting on that jacket.

I put them either upside down on a flat surface, or right side up on something like a fez. In the latter way, its sort of like sitting on my head (except for the flat part :) ).

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not use hooks I have several rows of them in my house. No real reason. I prefer to use a hat stand or something similar. If none are available I have a clean handkerchief I use only to rest the crown of my hat.

IMG_0762_edited-1.jpg

I'd go with the first one, looks most benign. Mine are on hooks, hat/coat trees, in boxes, etc. Main suggestion & with 1 hat shouldn't be too much bother = don't let it sit in 1 position for long periods of time. Handle it, move it around on whatever you chose, brush it, wear it (even sitting at a computer posting on a Fedora website :D ). These things are pretty tough, felt is durable...

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Hmm, I'm not really sure on your two hooks. I use a standard two pronged coat hook that I bought at Wal-Mart with a slight modification: my wife made a yarn ball to put on the large prong so that the hook isn't pressing in to the fedora.

This also allows the hat to angle away from the wall rather than towards it so the brim doesn't rest against anything.

Hurray for yarn balls on hooks!

Some people put a tennis ball over the hook.

Mulceber

Practically Family
scottyrocks said:
I dont hang my hats. I dont like what does to the shape of them. Too much pressure on one point. And the brim often gets distorted, usually from resting on something like the brim of the pictured one is resting on that jacket.

I put them either upside down on a flat surface, or right side up on something like a fez. In the latter way, its sort of like sitting on my head (except for the flat part :) ).

You do realize that if hanging them will distort them, then resting them on the crown will DEFINITELY distort them, right?

I bought a coat tree and use it as my hat rack - nothing "edgy" and all the hats get a fair amount of wear, so none of them stay on it for too long. -M

Subvet642

A-List Customer
I bought one of those shelf kits that you see in all the stores, white man-made laminate, a foot and a half wide, and installed it in my closet. I turn up the brims and rest them upright. The white laminate is quite clean and non-reactive.

SaikyoShayne

New in Town
First of all, my apologies if there is a big thread for this sort of stuff or if it has been covered - Google/searches are not my friend. And also the large images.

A few weeks ago I was in Sydney on holiday and I ended up in The Strand - I saw Strand Hatters and decided to grab myself a souvenir, an Akubra.

si_6791696_7l9jp2sb8v_lr.jpg

I ended up buying a black Silver Spur which I have fallen in love with! The only problem is I am back in Perth and terrified that my Akubra is going to go flying whenever a wind picks up. So after trawling through Google I found out about 'Wind trolleys' and also this great site. I couldn't actually find any to buy in Sydney so I ended up just throwing one together with some leather cord & a button I bought at a craft store;

si_6982265_z4w2jyhnaa_lr.jpg

The leather cord is through the ribbon, with a button and some stopper knots holding it there, then a loop at the other end which I put my necklace/chain through. In the first photo you can see the leather cord.

I have no problem with the look, but if I want to take my hat off and can't just rest it on my lap then I have to undo my necklace which you can imagine is pretty annoying! And I keep thinking that the leather cord will just snap if the hat is blown off.

Is there a more elegant way to do it in that style, using the bow? Or should I just stay with this? I should add that it hasn't blown off yet - even in the middle of a storm in Canberra which was pretty amazing! So this is more for peace of mind.

And one last quick question, how long should I keep the padding in the band? It has started to conform to my head but I don't know if I should just leave it in there for a few months or if a fortnight has been long enough.

Cheers!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Hats are everywhere here in China. But quality hats are not so easy to find. I bought a Stetson in Shanghai--for about double the US price.

Your best bet, when you're ready for a high-quality hat, is Hats Direct. I ordered a moonstone-colored Federation IV from them and it arrived (from Australia to Shanghai) in just about 3 days! However, it was considerably more than 120 RMB.

In Kunming you'll probably be wanting a straw hat soon, as spring is coming on.

hatmatt

New in Town
Hats are everywhere here in China. But quality hats are not so easy to find. I bought a Stetson in Shanghai--for about double the US price.

Your best bet, when you're ready for a high-quality hat, is Hats Direct. I ordered a moonstone-colored Federation IV from them and it arrived (from Australia to Shanghai) in just about 3 days! However, it was considerably more than 120 RMB.

In Kunming you'll probably be wanting a straw hat soon, as spring is coming on.

Ah, hi Shanghai friend! I want to order a nice hat, but I do not use credit cards so it is very difficult. I might go shop around Kunming's nicer stores. And yes, Spring is on the way!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I replied with the same info to your post on another thread, so sorry for repeating myself.

It is hard to do mail order without a credit card.

I don't know if there are any real hat stores in Kunming. Here in Shanghai, there's really only one. It's called Futoshi Hats. The owners are a couple from Japan and are very nice. But their hats don't come cheap. You will get great service and the ability to try things on. However, a Stetson costs about twice the US price. If you visit Shanghai, it might be worth checking the store out.

If you have any visitors coming from overseas, you could always make an arrangement for them to bring you a hat and you could reimburse them. I've certainly had my visitors bring me things that were hard to get in China (especially Western-size socks and underwear).

Good luck with your hat search!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw