Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first real hat:

Lorne

One of the Regulars
At the end of the day

At the end of the day, its what you think looks good on you. No one here is going to say you didn't do good if you are happy.

Lorne

Bob Loblaw

New in Town
I am not even quite sure what a good hat really is - much less what a stingy would be. My guess is the shorter, sharp downturned brim? Are there other alternatives I should consider is shape?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
there are so many variations on the fedora.
stingy refers to the brim. It's short (less than 2 inches or so). you can snap it down or leave it up.

if that's the kind of brim you like- go for it!
look around on the site. what do you like? Just find a thread or picture of something else you like and we'd be happy to tell you exactly what it is.

Your hat is fur felt, which is good quality. Stay away from wool on the most part.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
As a wearer of stingy brim hats exclusively, I must say that is a mighty fine hat! My preferred crown style too, the homburg bash (I have 8 of those, one porkpie, and possibly a c-crown soon). Wow, check the detailing on the nice narrow ribbon! You will find there is a general preference for wider brims on the Lounge. There are a few of us in the stingy crowd (oddly, I'm not stingy at all personally), as evidenced by the recent brim-width poll. I find that my stingy brims get a rise out of young folks more often than not, though a number of older black men have made positive comments too. Women don't seem to notice as much I don't think--either you've got a nice hat on, and that's the kind of guy you are, or not. And that is one fine hat you got yourself, especially for a first one. Here's to many more.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I agree with the others;
  • Looks like it's a 60's vintage from the brim
  • Felt quality should be good - probably better than most $100 hats of today
  • If YOU like the look, you got a good value!

Since you're evidently a 7.5, you might do very well scanning Ebay. The stingy brims are a bit less popular than the wider brims, so if that's your style, you can find some very nice hats at good prices!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis