Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first vintage purchase and I'm nervous as a cat!!!!

aoriii

New in Town
I just bought my first vintage hat!! I'm both thrilled and terrified. I bought it on ebay this afternoon. It's a new old stock Resistol (reportedly from the 50's 60's). The description pegs it as a dark grey, but I've looked at the photos on 3 different computers and the color is different all three times (gotta love digital photos). It looks like it may need to be brushed/cleaned a little, and I may undertake re-bashing it, but...

When I get it I'll post photos.

aoriii

New in Town
Here's the images from the auction

Rather than a link, I stripped the best of the pics from the auction page. Some of the pics were kinda blurry, but these are the best of the crop.

Also, here is the description from the seller (as with all ebay lore - take with a grain of salt):
Here's an outstanding opportunity to Own Both a Wonderful Vintage Fedora Style Hat & a Box in which to store it, for a Single Bid! The Box is the same Brand as the hat, but, is not Original to it. The Hat is by RESISTOL "Self-Conforming" A Byer-Rolnick Product. It's Beaver 5X, the 990 Model, has the Kitten Finish, is a size 7 1/4 & has Never Been Worn, New Old Stock. The Hat is in MINT Condition inside & out. The rest of the measurements are: Crown 4 3/4~Brim 1 3/4"~Gros-Grain Band 1 3/4"~Front to Back 11 3/4"~Side to Side 9 3/4". The Box measures 14 1/2"x 13 1/2" x 6 1/2". It's condition is Pretty Good, The E is peeled off to one side, there is some handwriting onto it & a bit of age on the lid. The cardboard form is still inside for easy and careful storage. The Hat is most likely late 1950's, early 60's in a dark rich Chocolate Brown.

5b_1.JPG

11_1.JPG

53_1.JPG

There appears to be a little discoloration on the front right portion of the crown, but we'll just call those 'character marks'...it may just need a good brushing.

This will probably be more of a semi-dress hat, but I'm still Jonesing for a good Indy hat. Just saving my pennies for an Akubra ;)

When I was a kid in high school, I had a canvas hat that was very similar to this one. I always wore it when I went to shoot pool. I just got rid of it recently at the behest of my wife (it was WAY TOO SMALL to wear anymore), and I already miss it. It still had the blue chalk marks on the inside where it had spent time resting on the tip of a pool cue.

:cool2:

And BTW: JohnnySan....I love your sig statement, as I am rapidly approaching the 'no-hair' zone (payback for years of bald jokes at the expense of my mother's 2nd husband) :rolleyes:

Johnnysan

One Too Many
aoriii said:
And BTW: JohnnySan....I love your sig statement, as I am rapidly approaching the 'no-hair' zone (payback for years of bald jokes at the expense of my mother's 2nd husband) :rolleyes:

Too funny, but don't sweat it...the last laugh is on us! Think of all that money you'll be saving on shampoo and haircuts AND (as an extra bonus) - no "hat hair!"

Looks like you scored a great fedora straight away! Post photos after the cleaning & blocking and don't foregt to fill in your profile so we know where to come to pinch, er, admire this very nice hat!

:cheers1:

aoriii

New in Town
gettin hairless

JohnnySan: I love the release from the world of hat hair. I just cut my hair to a 1/4" crop. First haircut I've had in 3yrs... Finally got tired of the ponytail and heavy metal look :cool: .

I don't have to worry about any of that anymore...actually, it's about time to cut it again...My wife now sees cutting my hair as recreation ;)

Very nice hat in a nice finish. I especially like the Kitten Finish hats by Byer Rolnick.
As to age, we know that it was made before 1968 because Resistol was bought out by Hatco in 1968 and they discontinued dress hats. Resistol became only a "cowboy hat" brand after that. The upper limit would probably be the early 1960s. The hat kind of reminds me of the one Sean Connery wore in the early 60s Bond films.

Regards to all,

J

Aquia33

One of the Regulars

aoriii

New in Town
It's Here!! - No Pics, yet, but soon!

My Resistol arrived yesterday!! I was out of the office, so I didn't pick it up until I came back to my office after 5. I resisted the urge to tear into the box right then and there. After I got home and went through all the familial pleasentries, I unbound my new treasure.

The hat box that it came it was almost as interesting as the hat (at least initially). The discoloration I noted in an earlier post is NOT there...just poor photography. The fit was a little loose, but I'm working on that. I've begun inserting folded paper strips in the headband to get it to hold my melon better. It's a fairly big change from the all leather cowboy hat that I'm used to wearing...MUCH LIGHTER!!! Although the brim is MUCH narrower that I thought it would feel. Gonna take some getting used to.

So far, I really like the hat, but I need some more time to get to know it, and find my comfort zone in it. You guys can help with that, because I kinda need to reshape it. :cool:

I'll post some more specific questions details after I get the photos online, but basically I want to shape it to a tight front pinch (almost Indy-esque).

Now, I'm over the nervous and just excited.

thanks,

Trey

aoriii

New in Town
As promised - pics are big..sorry

As promised, here are the pics of my new hat. Sorry for the poor photo quality, these are 'self-photos', and I've not had any time to resize them.

Hat only.
hatonly.jpg

Profile shot.
side.jpg

Full frontal
frontal.jpg

Three-quarter view.
three-quarter.jpg

Hat Liner.
liner.jpg

Sweatband - left.
inside-left.jpg

Sweatband - right
inside-right.jpg

Inside - front.
inside-front.jpg

Now, what about reshaping the hat. If I steam it to reshape the pinch on the front, do I need to steam it to an open crown first, then re-steam later to shape, or do it all at once? Mostly I'm just looking for a little tighter pinch. Or should I forego the steaming all together and just wear the tighter pinch into it?

:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany