Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My G&B Mark 41 Historical Horsehide A-2

jschare

New in Town
Here are photos of my Gibson & Barnes Mark 41 A-2. It's russet brown. I sent my jacket to J.M. Charbin in California to have a squadron patch and an 8th AF patch put on. I got my jacket back about a week or so ago and here are the photos. The 570th Bomb Squadron was one of my grandfather's squadrons from WWII. I think J.M. did an excellent job. The patches are painted on leather. J.M. Charbin's web site is: http://www.artbysky.org/aaf.html

S7300731a.jpg

S7300733a.jpg

S7300734a.jpg

S7300735a.jpg

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Nice jacket, but why is is all G&B A-2s have such a short waistband? It makes the jacket look freakishly bunched up around the waist no matter what the size. This is not how they are supposed to look. You should have a relaxed waistband, not one that looks like it will cut off your circulation.

CIMG5097.jpg

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
jschare said:
Yeah... It was a little tight when I first got it but, since wearing around the house a few times, it's loosening up quite nicely.

It may loosen up a but it still shouldn't look all bunched up. I can't for the life of me understand why they continue to do this to their jackets, they are supposed to be authentic but they look anything but. They continue to try but never quite get there. They do in fact charge quite a bit for their jackets, right up there with other high-end repro companies, this being the case it's time they looked at an original A-2 and try to come up with a reasonable facsimile.

fishmeok

Vendor
Great Jacket! Love the patches:eusa_clap Lets see some pics of you wearing the thing, that's what really matters...

The knits will loosen up, and they will last- and for the money I think they are the best deal available in the US, the historical knits are what I have been using on several jackets (repaired and the ones I have made)I think the G&B A-2 is a good deal for what it is, a better cut than lost worlds and Eastman. Not as WWII accurate as I would like, but 99% of the people out there won't care. The rest of us just need medication:)

I don't know why they make them tight like that though, going to have to remember to ask next time I order more knits. Maybe that's what people expect these days?
Cheers
Mark

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
Very nice jacket and I agree that considering the quality of materials and workmanship G&B jackets are the best bang for the buck. I recommend JM Charbin also for jacket art. He painted patches on a couple of A-2's for me and I was very satisfied.

Ray

jschare

New in Town
Senicko_Spain said:
Nice jacket, but why is is all G&B A-2s have such a short waistband? It makes the jacket look freakishly bunched up around the waist no matter what the size. This is not how they are supposed to look. You should have a relaxed waistband, not one that looks like it will cut off your circulation.

CIMG5097.jpg

I would think, since the G&B jackets are cut for the "Modern Man" with more room in the chest and stomach, the knits are tighter so the jacket doesn't look too wide at the bottom when worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff