Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My hair is breaking :(

Naama

Practically Family
My hair is heavily breaking from bleaching...... But I don't really want to stop bleaching, because, I don't know, I like my hair blonde.... And it suits me pretty good....
Anyway, I thought about cutting it a bit, but the problem is, if I don't curl it and stuff, I don't have any volume in my hair. And my hair is only shoulder lenght so I can't cut that much off..... Do you think there is a possability to cut it like a bob and get at least a bit of volume without going too short, so that I can still curl it?

Naam

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Are you bleaching all of your hair each time, or just touching up the roots?

You can certainly have it cut into a layered bob, which should curl nicely (my hair behaves much better when shorter, regardless of its overall condition.) I also find that cold setting my hair once every couple of days is easier on it then hot setting it every day. Also, using a good conditioner can help smooth out your hair as you grow out the damage. My friend, who was also having trouble with her hair breaking and falling out due to chemical treatments, was told to use Nexxus Humectress as a leave-in conditioner by her dermatologist. I recently tried this and find it does make my hair much softer and more pliable.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sorry to hear that you're having this problem. From my experience with all sorts of lengths of hair, I find that I actually get better volume the shorter my hair is. I keep it a bit past my shoulders at the moment, but I get much better curl and volume when I have it shorter than my shoulders. My hair is actually thin in texture, but I have a lot of it, so that adds weight. Lightening my hair weight by trimming it and having the ends brushed with a straight razor really helps with volume.

So, cutting your ends making your hair a bit shorter might actually help with your volume issues.
I'm sure you've tried different treatments before for moisturizing. But, I find that doing a Vo5 hot oil treatment once a week really helps a lot. I also use a leave in conditioner, such as Potion9 by Sebastian, and a heavy duty moisturizing shampoo. I prefer Bumble and Bumble's moisturizing line, but Burts Bees actually makes a great product too and their prices are really good, especially for what you get. I have used their shine enhancing line, and after about a week of using it my hair was a lot healthier looking, healthier hair leads to more bounce.

Well, taking off a bit of length will get rid of those breaking ends, and you might get more volume out of it too. Also, I find that my hair grows faster if I get a regular trim every 6 weeks or so. So getting those ends cut off now might leave you with shorter hair right now, but if you start getting regular small trims, you might end up with longer hair faster. Long layers also add volume, as well as volumizing mousse. I hope you find some of this useful:)

Grace

Vendor
I've heard awesome things about cholesterol.

You get it Sally Beauty, and it's only $2.99 for this big tub of it.

My husband used to train horses, and they used to use it on the horses before a show. He swears by it. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Deep condition it!!!!!!! You're hair is REALLY thirsty right now and it will just keep on breaking off if it's not dealt with!
I love Sally beauty supplies stuff as well. Cholesterol works great as well as this stuff called 'bone marrow' Leave this stuff on for as long as 30min. You'll see dramatic results even after just one use.
You don't necessarily have to trim your hair, but I highly recommend 'babying' it for awhile. Maybe wait a month or two before bleaching your hair again.
bounce/lift; layered cuts are great if this is what you hope to achieve.

Jovan

Suspended
I'd try using Aussie Three Minute Miracle once a week, along with the best conditioner you can afford. My second suggestion is to just leave your hair alone for a while! I've bleached my hair before and touched up the roots a lot. It can really wreak havoc if you're not careful.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I would recommend from now on only doing the roots each time. Hair bleach can be deadly. I know from experience. Anyway, I cut my hair super short over Christmastime. It has grown out to be just below my chin. I had no problem curling it when I first cut it and no problem now. Good luck!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll second the V05 hot oil -- it really does make a difference with dried out hair, especially at this time of year when everything's so dried out anyway.

Another thing that can help is not washing as often -- if you shampoo every day, try doing it every other day for a while and see if that helps.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
I'll second the V05 hot oil -- it really does make a difference with dried out hair, especially at this time of year when everything's so dried out anyway.

Another thing that can help is not washing as often -- if you shampoo every day, try doing it every other day for a while and see if that helps.

I'll third that V05 is great.

Also, I have a friend who swears her hair looks better if she doesn't wash it everyday.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:

My Mama used that stuff (very sparingly), but it makes my hair totally brittle. But then again, I have different hair than most ladies here, so I cant really offer much advice. Hope all works out! :D

LD

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Sorry you're having troubles! Your hair needs protein and moisture.. yet I will say that nothing can really *cure* breaking hair once it's to that point, but there are products that will help. I suggest Redken Anti-snap
http://www.beautyorigins.com/ranti_snap.htm
Biolage treatments, Cera-Repair Pro4‚Ñ¢ - hydrath?©rapie in-salon treatment
and hydrath?©rapie Cera-Repair¬Æ at-home treatment
http://www.biolage.com/products/biolage/Biolage_TheraWallchart.pdf
Also, Porosity Control from Sally's.

As for the cut, most likely a lot of the damage is on the outer parts of your hair.. meaning, if you just bob it you'll be cutting off "underneath length". The underneath may not be as damaged as the outer stuff. So, you may want to just keep your length and add more layers to get off some of the dry bits. Depends on the overall look you want, just a suggestion! Either way would be great and get you back to softer locks quicker.

From my experience, products such as the hot oil treatments will make the hair look better, but they don't really penetrate the hair and repair it.

Just to enforce what others have said.. only put bleach on the regrowth! ;)

Nikki

Photomuse

Familiar Face

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I was having some breakage problems and my stylist told me I needed protein. She recommended Redken's Anti-Snap (it's in a blue bottle and says "leave-in treatment for distressed hair"). I'm really bad about remembering to put it in but it seems to have helped even the times I do remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy