Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My hair is breaking :(

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
And why is that Jovan? I see you as welcome. As long as you have info to give, you can always gab with the gals :)

LD

I don't see why you would feel unwelcome either Jovan.. I didn't reply earlier because I thought perhaps I missed something??

Just chime in and have fun!

Nikki

BitterEpiphany

Familiar Face
The best thing you can do for easily damaged hair is eat well.

My hair has been awful - really. I don't even know what my natural color looks like any more i've been treating it for so long (half of my life, actually) and, after a traumatic hair cut, I let it grow out and didn't cut it for a few yeas so I had this awful, long, color treated hair. The concept being, I would grow out past the damage, then slice the damage off and still have enough hair left not to look like an idiot. Well, that never happened so i started cutting it off in little bits and that improved it a lot - just taking off that bottom three inches can do wonders for the way your hair looks, feels and behaves but anyway, i ran into some health problems (my diet is dangerously low in the protein department as i have a pathological gross-out reaction to meat in most cases) but, because i needed to bite the proverbial bullet and just do it, I did.

Since then, the condition of new growth has improved DRAMATICALLY. I suspect if you're a smoker, or a chronic soda drinker who doesn't get enough water, or even someone who is simply a carboholic, changing your diet could have a huge impact on the quality of your hair. It won't solve the problem you currently have, but it could make your future a lot brighter.

EDIT: And, Jovan, you could always just do like me and insert yourself into any old conversation until people realize how endearing your neurosis can be :p

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I'm sorry that you are having a hair crisis. I kind of agree with some of the ladies here and think that it might be an idea to go easy on the chemical treatments for a while. You could try wearing it up for a while if you are worried about any roots showing.

I have lots of dry, fragile hair problems and have found that pure cold-pressed Jojoba oil left in overnight really does the trick. It just washes out with regular shampoo and leaves your hair mega shiny and soft it's apparently also great for removing other residue on your scalp and hair (styling products etc) so leaves everything in tip top condition. It also is the closest natural mimic of your own natural hair oils. You could try wrapping your head in a plastic shower cap as the heat would help it work.

You can order it off the internet or most health food shops will sell it.
(I usually mix in some essential oils to make it smell lovely too):)

Jovan

Suspended
ohairas said:
I don't see why you would feel unwelcome either Jovan.. I didn't reply earlier because I thought perhaps I missed something??

Just chime in and have fun!

Nikki
I guess because I felt my post was ignored.

Figured I'd offer some advice, since I have hair that goes down to the end of my neck now and I take pretty good care of it. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
I get the feeling I wasn't welcome here. -_-
Ah, don't think that! as long as the subject isn't about the 'unmentionables', guys are perfectly fine!
back to topic; also, don't wash your hair daily, wait at least a day, two is optimal when trying to get your hair back in shape. Also with the conditioning, I would use deep conditioning products in replacement of your normal conditioner for awhile as well.
diet; I also agree with this. They say eating more essential oils is really great for your skin. A couple of examples of these is , cod liver oil (which is found in tablets), olive oil, and avocados.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
I guess because I felt my post was ignored.

Figured I'd offer some advice, since I have hair that goes down to the end of my neck now and I take pretty good care of it. :)

Nah... not ignored, there are just too many posts to acknowledge each and every one. I'm a hairdresser and have offered tons of advice in most hair topic threads, but I can't expect replies from everyone on suge a huge message board. Doesn't stop me from posting because I understand. Especially since I belong to other numerous boards... there's just not enough time in the day for everyone on the WWW! ;)

Nikki

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
I've damaged my hair from bleaching out years worth of blue-black hair dye. That stuff is murder on the hair, (the bleach that is). I used the stuff the other ladies suggested from Sallys and it helped. I did go to a stylist and get layers put in to cut as much of the frizzy damage off as possible with-out sacrificing too much length.

I also only was my hair when it's really dirty. Washing it too much strips it of some of it's natural oil, (so I've been told). Plus sometimes my hair is easier to style the day after washing.

Good luck, and remember, the great thing about hair is it grows back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic