Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My nailpolish bubbles up!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Hmfr.. okay I am pretty tired of bubbles in my polish after I have painted my nails, I have tried a lot, with base coat, without, waiting up to 30 minutes between the two color coats, switching nail polish etc..

any tips??

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
Do you clean your nails with polish remover to remove excess oil before you polish them? That helps with adhesion.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
It might have to do with the fact that we all have the habit of shaking our nail polish to mix it up, which creates tiny bubbles. If you roll it in between your palms, like when you are trying to make fire with a stick I know weird example, or slowing tip it one way then the other way you wont get mini bubbles in your polish and those wont transfer over to your nails. Hopefully that will help!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Ms. McGraw said:
Do you clean your nails with polish remover to remove excess oil before you polish them? That helps with adhesion.

yes - they also get a good scrub with a brush and water..

bakinginparadise - i never shake my polish..

i just hate throwing away good polish that is only months old, because brand new ones don't bubble up so much. my polishes are always tightly closed and kept in a drawer, so they are kept dark..

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Hmm normally the mixing techinques work. I looked at some nail sites and they are saying it's caused by a couple reasons, the coats are too thick, the environment could have extra dust/debree in the air, or even though you keep you nail polish cool the environment you are painting in is to warm. Those all sound weird though maybe if you get one of those quick dry sprays and do that only for the top coat it may dry before the bubbles get a chance.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I clean my nails beforehand, don't shake my polish, and sometimes it bubbles and sometimes not. But, the longer I wait between coats the less it seems to bubble. And OPI rarely bubbles on me.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I clean my nails beforehand, don't shake my polish, and sometimes it bubbles and sometimes not. But, the longer I wait between coats the less it seems to bubble. And OPI rarely bubbles on me.

Miss Bella - I like OPI as well, but none of the shops here have testers, can you recommend a color that is a bit darker red, but absolutely NOT brownish?

Miss_Bella_Hell

Darhling said:
Miss Bella - I like OPI as well, but none of the shops here have testers, can you recommend a color that is a bit darker red, but absolutely NOT brownish?

Sure! For a matte, try Malaga Wine, or for shimmer, try I'm Not Really a Waitress.

I have sooooo many shades of OPI, it's really silly. Lots of brights for summer, and I just got navy, a preppy green, and a coral/orange! lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Sure! For a matte, try Malaga Wine, or for shimmer, try I'm Not Really a Waitress.

I have sooooo many shades of OPI, it's really silly. Lots of brights for summer, and I just got navy, a preppy green, and a coral/orange! lol

I just want a finish that is super glossy without shimmer.. I'll see if I can find Malaga Wine!!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Yeah, it's my favorite dark red by OPI. I think Sephora carries OPI, don' t they? Then at least you can return it if you don't like it.

We don't have Sephora here in Sweden :( so it is pretty much buy it and it's yours.. and those pesky painted nailtesters they have never match the true color when it gets painted on.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Darhling said:
We don't have Sephora here in Sweden :( so it is pretty much buy it and it's yours.. and those pesky painted nailtesters they have never match the true color when it gets painted on.

NO SEPHORA! A fate worse than death!

Midgetqueen

New in Town
Hm, *scratches head* I haven't ever had quite that much trouble with bubbling... I can second the comment on applying thinner coats, though. Bubbles only happen to me when I get in a hurry and apply polish too thickly. Thin layers, plenty of drying time in between. Hopefully that helps!

Miss 1929

TEMPERATURE!!!

I think it has to do with it being warm - it bubbles more when warm than it does when cold. Try keeping it in the refrigerator!
I can never get an even coat in the summer if I don't chill it first.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Well now I just had this problem for the first time ever when I went see my manicurist about a week back. She had just switched from Jessica to OPI and within hours of leaving the salon my nails were covered, (and I mean covered) with tiny little horrible bubbles :( .

When I went back she said that some other customers had experienced the same problem and that they had identified the culprit as being the fast drying oil. Apparently bubbles occur when your layers are all drying at different speeds so you may find that switching your base coat or top coat might make a difference.

Personally I wouldn't use OPI again as I thought it behaved more like latex than a traditional polish as it didn't have the glass like finish I hanker for and took AGES to dry, I could still push a dent into it with a sharp object 24 hours after application.

I'm sure that everyone has a different opinion but I would recommend Chanel for speed of drying, and Jessica or Essie for ultra smooth application and range of colours. Not sure if they are available worldwide but I swear by them.

Here is the link for Essiehttp://www.essie.com/products/

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
AllaboutEve said:
Personally I wouldn't use OPI again as I thought it behaved more like latex than a traditional polish as it didn't have the glass like finish I hanker for and took AGES to dry, I could still push a dent into it with a sharp object 24 hours after application

OPI is some of the best quality polish there is out there. The glass-like finish will usually come from your top coat anyway. If you were able to dent your polish that long after applying it, it means that the coats were applied too thick. This is a mistake that I find many manicurists make. This can also happen if there is high heat and/or humidity. During the summer months, my polish takes much, much longer to dry.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
KittyT said:
OPI is some of the best quality polish there is out there. The glass-like finish will usually come from your top coat anyway. If you were able to dent your polish that long after applying it, it means that the coats were applied too thick. This is a mistake that I find many manicurists make.

I love my nails super super shiny and I just didn't find the OPI top coat lived up to the mark, but that's just my opinion.
Maybe I'll have better luck next time, if I use it again[huh]

Like you say maybe the hot weather had something to do with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn