Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new heavier weight jacket

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
My guess is that the jacket is part of a custom made, English suit. When you receive the jacket, check the inside of the lapel that has the boutonniere (buttonhole) on it. You'll probably find a thread that runs horizontally about an inch. That thread is meant to hold the stem of a flower that you put through the boutonniere. Also, check the sleeve cuffs to see if the buttons can be unbuttoned.

Something about the lining, the lapels and the boutonniere in the photos tells me that this suit was made in London, possibly on Savile Row. I'll even hazard a guess as to the tailor: "Henry Poole & Co." Poole's lapels are very distinctive.

We'll see!

Zach R.

Practically Family
I have a similar lining in a custom made suit I found at a charity shop(luckily the guy who got rid of it was my clone), are those types of lining common where it isn't the same color or pattern all throughout the jacket? I must confess I am a newbie when it comes to suits.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It's typical for pre-1980 Savile Row suits to have body linings that are not "satiny", but more like shantung silk: a bit rough, even. "Tarnished" silver grey seems to have been popular.Sleeve linings are almost always striped.

Unlike fine Italian suits -- which have always been luxurious in feel -- fine British bespoke suits avoided being too "prissy". There was a rough-hewn quality to their linings that belied their excellent cut.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Well Marc no thread, one of the first things I looked for , even before reading your post. Turned it inside out and upside down not a tag on it. Non function button holes on sleeve, and only two buttons there. Everything else is pretty nice, but I have to have the collar lowered its bunching.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Hopefully I can after the weekend. I went to the tailor with Havershaw and it is supposed to be ready tomorrow. The collar was too high and causing a pucker across the shoulders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner