Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new (old) G1 jacket

PerryJ

New in Town
Greetings !! (first post) I've been a private pilot for 20 years and have never owed a leather flight jacket. My nephew who is a Naval Aviator was talking about them to me the other day and I pulled the trigger on this one on the "bay". Any thoughts?
Basically it'll be my beater until I save up for a nicer more modern one eyeing the cockpits at the moment?

Attachments

• IMG_9983.PNG
    IMG_9983.PNG
    811.6 KB · Views: 213

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Neat! Welcome to Fedora Lounge, if you like money in your pocket RUN Away!!! You may get way too many ideas for jacket (especially pilot's jackets) that you never knew you liked. Seems we're good at enabling. :)

PerryJ

New in Town
I emailed San Diego leather and they replied that it's in the 15-20 year old or older range.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Nice jacket. At one time I also owned a G-1 made by San Diego Leather Company probably same era as yours and recall it was a decent representation of the G-1. Welcome to the Lounge.

Last edited:

Marv

A-List Customer
once you're in, I'm afraid you're in....the wanting and spending begins :)

if you like the G1, there are always great condition originals to be had on ebay and for reasonable prices too. my last G1 I purchased was a 1971 Brill Bros, goatskin with dynal collar (fake fur) in super condition for around $150 shipped, if you keep your eyes peeled there are always bargins to be had.

PerryJ

New in Town
My goals would be a vintage G1 (my fam is naval aviators) and a new G1 (main jacket that I'm the one the puts the scars , scratches, and stories on and then same with a a2 a vintage and a new. (Really just a new a2) and then beater (maybe this G1) after I get a new one) 8"I may turn this on into my painted aviation jacket and put patches from all the different aircraft I've flown and things like that on it. ;-)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge Perry. If I could make a recommendation, I'd go with a Cooper if you can find one on the Bay. These were an issue jacket maker and the one I have is easily better than the one I was given in the 90s.

If you can find a nice '60s era G-1, even better. Cockpit's are OK. Check out US Wings for some nice alternatives as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PerryJ

New in Town
Little large but comfy, going keep it until I order a new one, then I'll turn it into a patch jacket i guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 126

PerryJ

New in Town
I wish the collar was a little smaller, were they all this size or were some suppliers smaller?

Edward

Bartender
I personally cannot stand people who refuse to watch a movie based purely on the fact that it was made before they were born. I once encountered a person who refused to watch any movie made before the year 1995, simply because she refuses to watch any movie older than 20 years. In bewilderment, I asked her if she realized that over 90% of films, including most of the greatest films ever made, were made over 20 years ago. She instantly became indignant and evaded my question.

Sounds like the sort of weird rule an undergrad figuring themselves ouyt would make. I remember ionce trying to convince myself that the only worthwhile length in duration terms was 30 minutes for television and 90 minutes-2 hours for a film. Insane, of course, but I was nineteen...

Simple reply: You eat YOUR steak YOUR way and I'll eat MY steak MY way PERIOD, END of subject! Now GO AWAY!

I understand the arguments about destroying the taste and all, but it's all so personal and after all who's eating it? You or the person cooking it? All my life I've been a rare/medium-rare steak person, I 've even been known to eat some raw, but any more I prefer med to medium-well. Especially when it comes to burgers. I think it's pretty much a texture thing. Being a little more done gives a better bite to a piece of meat rather that chewiness of under, or lesser done steak.

I'm convinced that people who really demand that others modify their tastes to suit the former's preferences, claimed as objective fact, are actually deeply insecure. There are two restaurants I can think off off the top of my head I've been in where they snootily refused to cook my steak properly because of some pretentious nonsense about it being better half raw; I ordered something other than the beef, and will never return to either.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I wish the collar was a little smaller, were they all this size or were some suppliers smaller?

Many of the late model G-1s had relatively small collars. When I first went looking for an older G-1 or an M-422 I was surprised how big, fluffy, and pointy some of the collars were. But I don't think the collars were ever universally big.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joel Ross

New in Town
So correct me if I'm wrong. The original all volunteer Flying Tigers wore the G1 and not the A2. The A2 came into play once the Army / Air Force took over?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou