Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Old Real McCoy's x Harley-Davidson 1930s Aviator

d4nimal

Familiar Face
Hey guys,

I wanted to share with you the Real McCoy's x Harley-Davidson 1930s aviator I picked up on Yahoo Japan Auctions a little while back that many of you were nice enough to educate me about and give me pointers on (especially Blackadder and Ace. I actually was bidding AGAINST Blackadder, it turns out). It got here a few weeks ago, though it's been too hot to wear it in Philly.

I've written a longer post on my personal blog not aimed at TFL-level enthusiasts with some more pictures as well which I'd love if you give your opinions/corrections on, but I'm going to try and focus it a bit more here.

Specs:

Manufacturer: The Real McCoy's x Harley-Davidson (produced by RM New Zealand)
Style: 1930s Aviator
Material: Black overdye tea core horsehide, semi-aniline
Approximate Dating: Late 1990s
Origin: New Zealand
Size: 36
Features:
-Asymmetric zip double rider
-Hidden snap-down W collar
-No epaulets
-D-pocket, single slash pocket
-Main brass Conmar zip with leather pull, D-pocket brass Talon diamond chain pull
-Half beltback
-D-ring side adjusters
-Center back inverted pleat
-Buttoning sleeves

IMG_8962.jpg

IMG_8963.jpg

IMG_8976.jpg

Background:

The Real McCoy's, prior to the breakup and change of ownership in 2001-2002, is referred to as the "Old" Real McCoy's on many Japanese sites and auctions. During this time, they collaborated with Harley-Davidson on recreating several vintage jackets. The early 1990s saw more of the colorful 1960s-1970s models with a white HD label, and later 1990s production focused on older models of the Sport Jacket and Golden Age eras. This RM x HD jacket is typical of 1930s aviators in the Sport Jacket era, as compared to references in Rin Tanaka's Century of Leather Design and Lightning Archives' motorcycle jacket book.

The jacket, and I presume all of the leather jackets made by RM prior to 2001-2002, was made in New Zealand by RMNZ aka The Few. The Few actually ended up producing a jacket later on called The Hurricane, which I surmise might be a direct descendant of this jacket, though it's hard to say. There have been several modern reproductions of the same style made by a few companies, and the style was very common for the era.

Leather:

IMG_8889.jpg

I had no idea what to expect, honestly. Present day RM Buco's are made with Shinki horsehide, which is a semi aniline veg-tanned hide. I don't own any Shink HH, nor do I have much experience w/ horsehide jackets aside from a few vintage jackets I've handled in the past. So I wish I knew where this horsehide was from, but I can only wager a huge guess of Italy (Badalassi?) based on some leather The Few sourced in later years. If anyone has more information on this I'd love to know more about it.

What I can say is it's a fairly midweight leather, semi aniline, black tea-core, remarkably pliant and in excellent shape. There's just a touch of tea-core showing through at the cuffs, the back of the collar, etc. There's also very little creasing on the sleeves as well as throughout the jacket. Seems like it's seen very little wear over the past 20-odd years.

I'm hoping to get the type of fading out of it eventually seen on stuff like member @A-1 's Diamond Dave jacket (I hope he doesn't mind me putting some pictures of it in my review showing how amazing tea core can look), but I have to psych myself up to wear my leather in the rain, etc.

Construction:

IMG_8767.jpg

IMG_9333.jpg

Construction and attention to detail are very good. Ever so slightly better than my Schott Hand Oiled Perfecto 619, which in itself is very good. I can't find fault with any stitching, allowances, etc.

Some stitching comparison below.

IMG_9330.jpg

Fit:

IMG_9288.jpg

Some of you might be familiar with buying Japanese clothes, but they have a tendency to fit a size smaller than US sizing and have less vanity sizing in general. That's evidenced by their current line of Buco jackets and what I hear about Flathead jackets, for example. So you can imagine my extreme trepidation with ordering a size 36 Japanese jacket when I'm a 36-38R normally in suiting. I dropped about 10 pounds over the past couple of months, so that helps, but general fear and doubt ruled the day until it showed up.

When it finally showed up, I actually set it on the table and measured it, too scared to just put it on at first. It matched the measurements, phew! So I put it on slowwwwwly. Sleeves were long enough - check. Shoulders - check. I finally worked up the nerve to zip the Conmar up and breathed my last sigh of relief. It zipped, and didn't feel like a corset. It also doesn't pull significantly when standing.

That's not to say it's not smaller in the chest and shoulders than my 619 Perfecto, as well as a bit shorter - though the 619 is built longer than most Perfectos. But I'm hoping it actually relaxes just slightly as time goes on. The RM hits at the belt line, which has a slightly low rise usually (it's hard to get away from low rise jeans/pants in the modern age). I think it hits all the right critical points for fit, though it's not something I could layer under.

IMG_9221.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

Some issues I noticed, though - my right shoulder doesn't always lie flat even with the shoulder width matching my own. It's not super noticeable, but I notice it sometimes. And when worn open, there's a portion of the bottom left of the back of the jacket that flares out a little, and looks funny - dare I say a little feminine. Zipped up that doesn't happen at all. I tried dampening a paper towel and pressing the area flat for a day under a book so it wouldn't do that to no avail. As I said, not huge stuff, but not perfect.

Summary:

Current Real McCoy's Buco jackets retail ~ $2000 USD. I'm not saying they're not worth it - I think value to every person is a difficult thing to judge in blanket statements. I am saying I couldn't afford that type of price, though. I think the relatively unknown RM x HD line and maybe distrust of an unknown entity may have helped me out tremendously with the price as I can't find much fault with the jacket, though I've seen several listings for used RM x HD around the $1000 mark and above as well. In any regard, it's still early and I need time to digest how I feel about it in the end, but on first impressions I'm digging it overall. Can't wait til the weather isn't punishingly hot so I can wear it out.

Please let me know what you think - about the jacket styling, fit, info above. TFL is where I got a ton of the information that helped me research this purchase, and I'm always open to more education.

Mark

Practically Family
Wow that is one beautiful jacket, looks spot on to fit wise. Congratulations.

Americanaaa Mark

A-List Customer
Amazing jacket

I want them to bring back these old harley models

Does anyone else make repro harley jackets or just these older RMCs?

d4nimal

Familiar Face
Hey thanks guys. Really appreciate the kind words, though I would also appreciate any criticisms equally.

Amazing jacket

I want them to bring back these old harley models

Does anyone else make repro harley jackets or just these older RMCs?

As far as I know this exact design isn't attributed to Harley. I've heard Trojan before, and there's some Simmons Bilt and Bilt Works jackets I've seen that are also quite similar, but the latter RMC x HD repros included Buco styles as well, like the J-24.

As an aside, I love your recent jacket pickup, if I remember correctly. Your fit intimidates the crap out of me in the best way possible. Takes a certain kind of person to pull off studs and jewels.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would also appreciate any criticisms equally.

Whats to criticise? That's a really, REALLY nice jacket. Very cool vibe, especially the back! Those back details are insane...definitely puts it a step above. Great fit as well.

I wouldn't worry about the shoulder or side flare out. My DD Buco shoulders were similar but over time they flattened and moulded to my shoulder shape. I would think some solid wear time will sort out those "issues".

BobJ

Practically Family
THAT... post... is a masterpiece. You had me hanging on every word and studying every picture.

It's an amazing jacket, and looks great on you.

I think your issues with the right shoulder and the wrinkle/flair in the lower left back, will go away with wear, especially if you wear it in the rain a few times.

You will have to stay slender, or we're going to see Blackadder wearing it around here! :D

I. Can't. Even. Make. A. Sentence. Too ******** cool to be real.
Duuuuuuuuuuude. I mean duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. That is so insanely cool it's disgusting. Couldn't fit or look any better. I can't see anything but pure cross zip PERFECTION here.
Truly excellent write up and great photos. This was a pleasure to read and a feast for the eyes to view. Stellar man. Truly just too good.

Last edited:

d4nimal

Familiar Face
Whats to criticise? That's a really, REALLY nice jacket. Very cool vibe, especially the back! Those back details are insane...definitely puts it a step above. Great fit as well.

I wouldn't worry about the shoulder or side flare out. My DD Buco shoulders were similar but over time they flattened and moulded to my shoulder shape. I would think some solid wear time will sort out those "issues".

Thanks man. Glad to hear from experience. I'm wearing it right now on the couch. No pants on. Not sorry.

THAT... post... is a masterpiece. You had me hanging on every word and studying every picture.

It's an amazing jacket, and looks great on you.

I think your issues with the right shoulder and the wrinkle/flair in the lower left back, will go away with wear, especially if you wear it in the rain a few times.

You will have to stay slender, or we're going to see Blackadder wearing it around here! :D

Thanks man. So nice of you to say. I've always considered myself too long-winded, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I dropped about 10 lbs over the past few months, so this is motivation to keep the gut away. I'm hoping @Blackadder is enjoying the Levi's jacket he bought in place of this after he lost it to me :p

I. Can't. Even. Make. A. Sentence. Too ******** cool to be real.
Duuuuuuuuuuude. I mean duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. That is so insanely cool it's disgusting. Couldn't fit or look any better. I can't see anything but pure cross zip PERFECTION here.
Truly excellent write up and great photos. This was a pleasure to read and a feast for the eyes to view. Stellar man. Truly just too good.

That's so nice of you to say, duuuuuuuuude. I really appreciate it, though.

That is absolutely beautiful- it's called "Winning"

Ha, some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant. I was trying to become zen with the idea of having to sell it immediately if it didn't pan out, but I'm glad this one worked out in my favor :D

As Paulie Walnuts in the Sopranos would say, "Ohhh!" The only issue with your jacket my friend is it ain't mine! lol There's nothing not to be crazy about with there. The style, the fit, just superb!
Thanks, man!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a fantastic jacket!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!

I hate to revive a controversial discussion point, but the difference in stitching depicted in these two photos is palpable -- I am not saying one is better, stronger or will last longer -- that said, I personally much prefer the visual appearance of the tighter stitching and high stitch count -- IMHO, it looks like better craftsmanship (even if it is not) -- just my 2 cents:

img_9333-jpg.81067

img_9330-jpg.81068

Woodyear

Familiar Face
Congratulations, this is easily one of the best fitting and most stunning jackets on the forum. Some guys will probably say the sleeves are too short etc, those guys prefer a sloppier fit and that's cool too but in my opinion you nailed this to perfection. This is what happens when obsessive measurements pay off with second hand purchases, which is very difficult to accomplish. Truly, hats off.

d4nimal

Familiar Face
It looks amazing, but if you want us to nit-pick, the sleeves could use some length.(sell it to @Blackadder ;))
These jackets were continued by The FEW, or RMNZ under the moniker "precision" this model was the Hurricane.
http://www.thefewmfg.com/details.cgi?no=PM14-003&name=PRECISION_#
Again, you are a very lucky guy to get a hold of one of these- beautiful jacket.
Congratulations!

Yeah, that was my guess as well re: The Few Hurricane. I'm surprised their site is still up - my understanding is that they close. Zippers are different and the Hurricane is made from buffalo I think, but otherwise they're remarkably similar.

I love to nit-pick, so thanks for the comment. My Schott has slightly longer sleeves, which I've always considered more practical for riding purposes but otherwise I prefer the fit of the slightly shorter for daily wear.

What a fantastic jacket!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!

I hate to revive a controversial discussion point, but the difference in stitching depicted in these two photos is palpable -- I am not saying one is better, stronger or will last longer -- that said, I personally much prefer the visual appearance of the tighter stitching and high stitch count -- IMHO, it looks like better craftsmanship (even if it is not) -- just my 2 cents:

I totally agree. I doubt it makes a shred of actual practical difference, but it's just finer work. A lot (maybe most) of fine craftsmanship doesn't necessarily translate into real world gains, but that doesn't stop me from admiring it and wanting it when it's available. I'm not sure how controversial that statement is, but I'll stand by it.

bill kelso makes something similar to this
wildboy_01.jpg

Ha, yeah man. I have every angle of the 360 degree view of the Bill Kelso Wild Boy saved as pictures in a folder on my desktop. Some other similar modern day repros:

Norshor NS1:

Norshor NS1.jpg

Levi's Japan (not LVC):

Levi's Japan.jpg

Block Bilt (probably my least favorite):

01biker01_pri_f.jpg

That's one of the coolest jackets and best fitting ones I've ever seen. You totally nailed it.

Thanks, man!

Congratulations, this is easily one of the best fitting and most stunning jackets on the forum. Some guys will probably say the sleeves are too short etc, those guys prefer a sloppier fit and that's cool too but in my opinion you nailed this to perfection. This is what happens when obsessive measurements pay off with second hand purchases, which is very difficult to accomplish. Truly, hats off.

It certainly fits you well and the jacket is amazing!
And your review was a lot of fun to read :D

Thanks so much. I was very lucky, though I think all the preparation put me at better odds to succeed.

I've been following your jacket painting thread as well. I'm not gonna lie, when I was looking for this jacket I originally had plans to buy an old vintage plain back jacket and paint it with something. I'm still not 100% against doing something similar with this jacket on the top yoke w/ something Japan related (I love Japan, and the jacket is from there), but I both can't come up with a design I think would do add to the jacket's look and the confidence not to ruin a perfectly good jacket experimenting. Not like I can just buy another one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner