Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new pet hate in the city

koopkooper

Practically Family
I have gotta say I am sick of people who walk whilst talking on their cell phones and have no idea who is around them, they bump into people, signs and sometimes even cars.

Here in Australia cell phones (or mobiles as we call them) are banned from use in vehicles whilst driving unless you have hands free, I can see why.

I know they are a handy and necessary tool these days, but surely people could try and stand still when talking, I must add that there is nothing worse
than hearing someone pant down the phone as they haul their fat bottom up a hill.

Working on a University campus, and living just over the river from the campus, i can say that i see this every day. I have come to the conclusion that it's merely a part of the fact that most people exist in a state of oblivion. They have no idea that anything else exists, and have no interest in things outside their own sphere.

This is particularly evident when they are almost run over. Me, i get wide eyed, sharp intake of breath, swear, and jump backwards. These people: Not a reaction to almost being killed! I was shocked when i first saw it; i am now used to this reaction. Thes people are oblivious to the world around them. They are invariably on the phone or text messaging.

I must be the last person on the planet without a mobile phone. I shall continue to resist.

bk

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
I must be the last person on the planet without a mobile phone. I shall continue to resist.

bk

Every so often I get the urge to save up and by myself a nice cell phone with all of the trimmings. Then I remember how much I hate cell phones and the idea of being leashed to one all day.

Elaina

One Too Many
We have a cell phone that is never on, in use or carried. I figure if I wanted you to know where I am 24 hours a day I would tell you.

That said, I almost got arrested a few weeks ago. Lady was on a cell, I jerked my son out of the way, threw him back a few feet into another car, and slammed my hand so hard into the back of her car I broke a tail light.

That said, she never saw my son, was going too fast in a parking lot, and had I not of reacted, my son would have been seriously hurt. I attempted to knock her lights out. Someone called the cops...and well, I think most people should leave them at home. I've been hit by a car as a pedestrian because of them, and all 2 of my accidents since I've been driving were because someone was talking.

I need to get the shut up and drive bumper sticker.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I only have a cell phone. If any of my friends want me, they can reach me anytime.

That being said, cell phones, like most things, need to be used responsibly and, perhaps more importantly, courteously. ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
People in general now a days have no concept of the space around them or that other people may be near them in public areas. Case in point;
I was walking on the sidewalk (crowded) and this family just stopped right in front of me to chat! %(@$))!!!! People had to filter past them and the family paid no mind or consideration as to "Oh, we are in the middle of a busy walk way, maybe we should filter to the side to conduct our family affairs." No such consideration, they just yammered as usual.

Cell phones as well, it all cheeses me off.
My mobile rarely leaves my house. Its a homebody.

LD

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
It tees me off when someone comes into the store chatting away on their cell phones, discouraging any salutations/assistance. Then, when they get to the register and they're asked if they've been helped by anyone, they respond flatly, "No." To our managers it comes off looking like the sales associates aren't doing our jobs.

Instead try, "No, but to be fair, I've been rudely talking to my imaginary friend on my bluetooth since the moment I entered the store. Oh, but the girl in the vintage dress did clean all my crap out of the fitting room, why don't you give her the credit?"

Oh...and Elaina...I would have gone to prison if I had been in your situation. I need to learn to control my temper.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I'm also cellphoneless.

Never had much of an urge to get one. It would be okay for emergency use, but 99 percent of the people I see are seemingly engaged in just small talk about nothing. [huh]
Every third driver or so that I see on the road is talking on their phone, and dangerously distracted.
I would rather talk face to face anyway, I think there is much more communication that way.
The rampant cellphone use I see is mostly, I think, just for effect.
People use it as a status symbol in order to say to the world,..."Look. I'm important! People want to talk to me all the time."

Feraud

Bartender
The next time some news story tries to sell you how "The Government" is trying to invade your private life and curtail your "Civil Rights" look around the street.
With every idiot having inappropriate conversations in public does a government really need to break laws to invade our privacy? We willing disclose everything about ourselves in public.
I overheard a woman's phone conversation to her credit card company. Her name, social security, and account number were announced in a coffee shop.
This is not the exception but the norm.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
The next time some news story tries to sell you how "The Government" is trying to invade your private life and curtail your "Civil Rights" look around the street.
With every idiot having inappropriate conversations in public does a government really need to break laws to invade our privacy? We willing disclose everything about ourselves in public.
I overheard a woman's phone conversation to her credit card company. Her name, social security, and account number were announced in a coffee shop.

Oh, she deserves identity theft.

LD

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cell phone madness

Bizarre but true: I guess it would have been a couple of years ago that this strange event occurred. I was in a large shopping centre and needed to pay a visit to the public amenities. Whilst there the cell phone of a fellow in the cubicle next to mine rang, and not only did he answer it, he continued the conversation, bathroom echo and all! He even flushed the commode and walked out still yapping on the phone. I didn't know whether to be in shock or laugh!

Is no place private any more?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:

Yes,...as it was said before, people are completely oblivious to their surroundings. It's as if they think they are all alone at home!
Is it some effect that habitual cellphone use has on the habitual user's mind? :eek:

koopkooper

Practically Family
phone use in toilet

Ha Benny I love it....I had a similar thing happen in LA airport. This Clyde's phone rang while he was in the cubicle and I heard him say to the guy that he was in the Bar waiting for his flight. I couldn't help myself, I walked into both cubicles either side and flushed the toilets....man did he look like a liar.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Feraud said:

That's a brilliant point, Feraud! Well put!:eusa_clap

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
koopkooper said:
Ha Benny I love it....I had a similar thing happen in LA airport. This Clyde's phone rang while he was in the cubicle and I heard him say to the guy that he was in the Bar waiting for his flight. I couldn't help myself, I walked into both cubicles either side and flushed the toilets....man did he look like a liar.

lol lol lol lol lol

I guess that there is a small positive to being around those rude people on cell phones!

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I have to carry a cell phone for my job, but wish I could get around it. I do my best to be considerate. It is ALWAYS on vibrate mode and I leave the room (or go outside if in a restaurant, etc) to talk. And this is for business. I can't imagine advertising my personal affairs to the world.

I must agree, cell phones are becoming a huge pet "hate" of mine. I have no desire to hear other peoples' gimicky ring tones or conversations that are just as obnoxious. And I won't even get into talking while driving. My blood pressure is already starting to rise just thinking about it. :rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80