Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new (to me) Vanson Model B in brown!!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Hey all -

It's been too long since I've posted here! I just recently got a very fair deal on a Vanson model B in brown Competition Weight Cowhide. It is used but it's in great shape.

It's a size 44 and the fit is on the snug side, but not overly tight. The sleeves are 26" long, but they are still just a bit shorter than I like, but I can live with them. I really like the narrow 1" windflap in this jacket - it's full length and much nicer than the wide trapezoidal windflap in the Enfield. The cuff zip up snug, and despite being a little short, I think this will make a great riding jacket.

The leather is thick and supple with some lovely grain. It is nice and thick with a dry (not oily) finish and just enough shine. It's good and heavy, but not anywhere near the weight of my Steerhide Aero Highwayman (which is almost too thick and stiff). The jacket appears to be pretty new and included the leather key fob with matching serial number. Perhaps I will give Vanson a call to see how old it is.

The pics don't do it justice, but I am pretty happy with it. Without any further ado, here they are:

Front, Unzipped
VansonModelBBrown01.jpg

Front, Zipped
VansonModelBBrown03.jpg

Back (it looks about the same zipped or unzipped)
VansonModelBBrown04.jpg

Side, Unzipped
VansonModelBBrown05.jpg

imported_Hungry_J0e

New in Town
Wow great jacket! Thanks for posting. I agree the sleeves look a tad short, but hopefully hold in place well with the zips down.

I like the color... if you do end up contacting Vanson could you please find out what color that is? They have odd names for their browns, and I think I'll end up ordering a brown Model B as well with a few custom options...

Cheers,

- HJ

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Very Nice!

Great looking jacket, and the fit looks great... everywhere except the sleeves (which appear a little short for a riding jacket). Sometimes photos can be misleading, though... I have a Vanson where the sleeves fall no longer than that with the cuffs zipped, but are actually just the right length with my arms extended on the bike. Do the sleeves work for you while riding?

In any event, the leather looks great, and a beautiful fit otherwise. Enjoy!

jimmer_5

Practically Family
TheSnark said:
Great looking jacket, and the fit looks great... everywhere except the sleeves (which appear a little short for a riding jacket). Sometimes photos can be misleading, though... I have a Vanson where the sleeves fall no longer than that with the cuffs zipped, but are actually just the right length with my arms extended on the bike. Do the sleeves work for you while riding?

In any event, the leather looks great, and a beautiful fit otherwise. Enjoy!

I need to go for a ride with the jacket and see - I haven't had a chance yet. The sleeves are definitely borderline - in reality, I woud like another inch in length. Do you think they are short enough that they look funny?

Being that this is a snug fit when zipped, I think what is happening that the shoulders are narrower than my other jackets, so even though the sleeves are a good length (26" from shoulder edge to cuff) they still come up a bit short.

However, it's a Vanson (rare color even), so if I decide I can't live with it, I should be able to sell it.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
No, the sleeves don't look funny at all... but to anyone familiar with riding jackets, they would appear to be a little short when your arms are extended for riding. In other words, the appearance is just fine, if the fit is good on the bike. I certainly didn't mean to put you off on the jacket... just wondered if riding were a problem.

BTW, the color did look unusual, but given all the combinations of color, cameras, and computer monitors (not to mention "color balance" software for digital photos), colors in online photos can be deceptive. Looks good from where I'm sitting, though.

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great jacket! The sleeves look great! Right below the wrist bone! That's how you'd be fit custom! Perfect sleeve length!!! Your gloves protect you when you're extended on the bike, just like when you're wearing a race suit (your jacket or race suit isn't expected to protect your wrists). I ride a GSXR and your pictures show where my jacket hits me on the wrists...in short, how my custom Vanson fits, sleeve wise. I underlap with street gloves (Olympia gloves can be good for this) for street riding (a bit more sleek that way), but I go with a gauntlet race glove with my race suit while at the track.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
TheSnark said:
No, the sleeves don't look funny at all... but to anyone familiar with riding jackets, they would appear to be a little short when your arms are extended for riding. In other words, the appearance is just fine, if the fit is good on the bike. I certainly didn't mean to put you off on the jacket... just wondered if riding were a problem.

BTW, the color did look unusual, but given all the combinations of color, cameras, and computer monitors (not to mention "color balance" software for digital photos), colors in online photos can be deceptive. Looks good from where I'm sitting, though.

I get what you're saying - I am thinking about taking a ride tomorrow, so I will see how the sleeves feel. If it doesn't work out, I might just use it for casual wear.

Color is hard to accurately represent, although my pictures are pretty close to reality (and much closer than the pics the seller provided). It is a reddish brown to my eye, and significantly lighter in color than my Brown FQHH Aero.

One of the Regulars
Fantastic jacket Jimmer!
Its a perfect fit for a cafe racer if you ride a motorcycle like you said.
I agree with Wade about the sleeves length, they are perfect.
Enjoy it!

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Mojo1975 said:
Great jacket! The sleeves look great! Right below the wrist bone! That's how you'd be fit custom! Perfect sleeve length!!! Your gloves protect you when you're extended on the bike, just like when you're wearing a race suit (your jacket or race suit isn't expected to protect your wrists).

OK, just to clarify the whole issue of sleeve length for riding jackets... just for anyone wondering about this...

MAYBE the fit is perfect... or MAYBE the sleeves are too short. It depends on the rider's position on the bike. Sport bikes do not require anywhere near the same arm extension as cruiser or (especially) chopper-style bikes. I ride both, but instead of having jackets specific to riding position, I always order longer sleeves appropriate for an upright, cruiser rider position. The point is, longer sleeves work well enough on a sport bike, but shorter sleeves don't work so well when arm extension is required. Either way, the PERFECT fit is whatever provides adequate protection and the rider finds comfortable.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Great jacket! Looks made to measure to me. Even if the sleeves do feel a bit short when riding, I wouldn't let the jacket go - as a casual jackets fit it's spot on. Great find, Enjoy!

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
TheSnark said:
OK, just to clarify the whole issue of sleeve length for riding jackets... just for anyone wondering about this...

MAYBE the fit is perfect... or MAYBE the sleeves are too short. It depends on the rider's position on the bike. Sport bikes do not require anywhere near the same arm extension as cruiser or (especially) chopper-style bikes. I ride both, but instead of having jackets specific to riding position, I always order longer sleeves appropriate for an upright, cruiser rider position. The point is, longer sleeves work well enough on a sport bike, but shorter sleeves don't work so well when arm extension is required. Either way, the PERFECT fit is whatever provides adequate protection and the rider finds comfortable.
:arated: ^^^...the best sleeve length is what you're comfortable with!!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The sleeve length looks fine.

What will determine how long they are, in addition to what has been mentioned above, is how the sleeve is set into the jacket. A couple of my leathers have the sleeves set in rotated slightly forward from what would be considered normal. That way, when your arms are reaching forward to the grips, the sleeves are already in a more natural position for what youre doing, and wont ride up too high on your arms.

Rotated forward sleeves feel a little weird when your arms are at your sides, but they get more comfortable and natural-feeling with break-in.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
Older style cafe brun. Gawd I love 'em. So bloody hard to find vintage in larger sizes. Were I in the market for a new right now thissy here example would pull th' trigger. Asides from computer color interpretation I'd say this brown is without a doubt bloody rich! Niiice!

thsiao1

New in Town
I just purchased a Model B in Black.... I'm usually a 44r and ended up purchasing a size 40. It's on the snug side, but fits like a glove. I would have gone with a 42 if I were planning on wearing a sweater underneath.

norton123

New in Town
jimmer_5 said:
Hey all -

It's been too long since I've posted here! I just recently got a very fair deal on a Vanson model B in brown Competition Weight Cowhide. It is used but it's in great shape.

It's a size 44 and the fit is on the snug side, but not overly tight. The sleeves are 26" long, but they are still just a bit shorter than I like, but I can live with them. I really like the narrow 1" windflap in this jacket - it's full length and much nicer than the wide trapezoidal windflap in the Enfield. The cuff zip up snug, and despite being a little short, I think this will make a great riding jacket.

The leather is thick and supple with some lovely grain. It is nice and thick with a dry (not oily) finish and just enough shine. It's good and heavy, but not anywhere near the weight of my Steerhide Aero Highwayman (which is almost too thick and stiff). The jacket appears to be pretty new and included the leather key fob with matching serial number. Perhaps I will give Vanson a call to see how old it is.

The pics don't do it justice, but I am pretty happy with it. Without any further ado, here they are:

Front, Unzipped
VansonModelBBrown01.jpg

Front, Zipped
VansonModelBBrown03.jpg

Back (it looks about the same zipped or unzipped)
VansonModelBBrown04.jpg

Side, Unzipped
VansonModelBBrown05.jpg
If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering about your size. I'm thinking about ordering a Vanson like that but don't know whether to go with a 42 or 44.

I'm short but fairly stocky so I have the opposite problem. Usually if the jackets fits me around the chest then the sleeves are too long.

BTW, my very first motorcycle jacket I bought was a model B or close, it had a quilted lining, way back in 76' size 36 (man I must been skinny back then) and that jacket was either worn or strapped on the bike every summer up until a few years ago. Miss it and would like to have another.

I love yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo