Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Vanson America jacket

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
After a way too long wait, this one finally arrived last week. The Vanson America jacket, styled after the iconic jacket worn by Peter Fonda in Easy Rider and I love it.

I'll keep it short on this one due to a lack of time, but I'll answer any questions you come up with.

Fits: Regular, tighter than expected though. Haven't measured it up yet but it feels more like 21.5"-22" pit to pit than the 22.5-23" I expected judging from the numbers I have seen around here in the Model B. I have a 40" chest and it fits well, shouldn't be any tighter though and I had to abandon my plans to have a tailor make me a buttoned winter lining to button in.

Pros:

-Nearly everything

Cons:

-Only one inside pocket

-leather is a bit off. Feels thin, very different to the leather on both my Vanson Stadium and even more so compared to my Vanson CHP2. Vanson claims their competition weight is 1.4-1.6mm which is 3.5-4 oz and this jacket is noticably lighter than my SB Roadster in 3.5 oz bison, so yeah, no way. Not this batch of leather, not this jacket. Don't think it is more than 3 oz. On the bright side, this hide will probably break in much faster than anticipated.

Don't get me wrong here, I love it! It's just not what I expected weight-wise.

Fit pictures:

Thanks for looking. And as always, any questions welcome.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Have you thought about emailing them regarding the leather. It seems a little strange.

Looks great and great fit though and it's going to get better and better with wear.

The US flag is a little over the top for me but then again, I'm not American [emoji13]

Jägernaut

Practically Family
My vanson comet plu3 was competition weight but way lighter in weight and thickness feel compared to a model b I had.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
@ProteinNerd I am from Germany, not America either. I considered getting this or a model B which is nearly identical except for stripes and flag but I felt the coloured pieces add to the overall look of the jacket, stylisticly. No political message in the flag. I like the jacket a lot and there's no way I'm sending it back because it is 1-2 pounds lighter than expected. It's still fairly substancial leather. It would be interesting to see whether others notice the same thing with future jackets bought new from Vanson, though.

@TREEMAN It is a size 40. I have a 40" chest, 180 pounds.

Okay JJ, looking at this, I'm thinking you could've spent two, three grands on another maker and still not get a jacket that fits and looks nearly as good as this. You've nailed it. Don't let go of it. Perfect CR fit. And otherwise. The flag really lifts it!

I've had a Model B in a size 38 and it was too small for me. Well, too tight. But the jacket worked. Ultimately, I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it but I promised myself I'd get another one some day. I've bought a 42 the other day but that one ended up being waaay too big.

As for the leather, I hear you. There's something about this newer Vanson leather they're using that gives the impressing it's... well, not as heavy as what you'd expect from hearing all this talk about the weight of a Vanson Comp. weight and it's certainly different when compared to any older Vanson jacket. But things change. Try wearing this jacket in the rain, it's impossible to get it damp, let alone soaked. I think this new stuff is more sturdy than ever.
I'm sure that the first Vanson I got, the Model A from 2003 was considerably heavier than any other Vanson I've handled afterwards. Even my Model B which was relatively recent was a really tough jacket. But the last Model A that I had, bought brand new, seemed noticeably lighter. But it wasn't. I think? I don't know if that makes any sense but the leather was just different. Seemed not as thick yet tougher.

I see they've stopped using plastic zipper pin.

This is the jacket that made me love leather jackets. I'll never forget watching easy rider and wishing I was Wyatt.
You've got this thing slayed man. Perfect fit. Looks absolutely spot on. It couldn't be better. It's the original and best leather jacket ever and it fits you to the ground.
Haven't bought a new comp weight since 2011...interesting to hear about the weight. My Vanson jackets have always varied in weight and thickness. The 80's era jackets, second tag being the absolute heaviest. Anyway, I love it man!!
IMG_2499.JPG

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I had one of those once. Neat jacket but decided to go for something a bit different while in Seattle at Insurrection, so it stayed there and a Steerhide 30's HB followed me home. I do miss that jacket sometimes!

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
@Monitor , @ton312 Thank you! I'm very happy with the fit, too! And don't worry Monitor, not letting go of this one! I have been wearing it constantly the past days and will continue to do so. I believe the stripes and flag will look even greater once the jacket is worn in and the whites are not as clean anymore. Will probably wear only this one the entire year to achieve that look.

I will have a tailor sew in a 2nd inside pocket though. One is not enough to carry all my stuff that I don't want to put in my jeans pockets.

Last edited:
@Monitor , @ton312
I will have a tailor sew in a 2nd inside pocket though. One is not enough to carry all my stuff that I don't want to put in my jeans pockets.

How do you plan on getting that done?? I've asked a local leather jacket tailor to sew in two inside pockets on my Aero CR and they said they'd have to open the sides of the jacket to do it. I just want it done Schott style and DON'T want them to open the jacket.

s-l1600.jpg

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I have had that done before with my now retired Aero HWM; the tailor just put square shirt style pockets onto the lining, similar to the one in your pic, just smaller and two of them, one at chest height and one below it close to the hem. Don't see why you would have to open the jacket for that..?

edit:
Just like on this SB Roadster; this very jacket is actually where I got the idea back then. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ll-tan-steer-roadster-with-zip-sleeves.71938/

Huh! Yeah, that's exactly what I was after. I really don't understand why would they say they'd have to open the jacket for that but... They would need to somehow go inside the lining, I think? Those pockets would really make my jacket a lot more useful.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Huh! Yeah, that's exactly what I was after. I really don't understand why would they say they'd have to open the jacket for that but... They would need to somehow go inside the lining, I think? Those pockets would really make my jacket a lot more useful.
Well, if they didn't tear the lining open then they'd have to stitch the pocket to both the lining and the leather. You could see the seams on the outside. That's why sheepskin jackets don' t have internal pockets

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
How do you plan on getting that done?? I've asked a local leather jacket tailor to sew in two inside pockets on my Aero CR and they said they'd have to open the sides of the jacket to do it. I just want it done Schott style and DON'T want them to open the jacket.

s-l1600.jpg
seems like requires hand sewing a bit. I imagine cut the lining where the pocket is planned, make a pocket bag but left the bottom unsewn partially, turn the pocket bag good side out, join the pocket bag with the cut of the lining (maybe with a strip of leather for the edges, I guess this can be machine sewn, but then the unfinished bottom of the pocket bag has to be hand sewn (or machine sewn but perhaps hand sewn look neater), and then tucked in.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Great looking fit. Vanson would certainly be on my list to consider if I was after a cafe racer. I'm only disappointed by how few of the jackets in their line have armour pockets provided.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Haven't tried a thick winter sweater yet, but t-shirt + thin wool sweater do fit. I measured the other day btw and unlike my initial statement, it is 22.5" pit to pit, even though it feels tighter. Maybe because it is slightly waisted, I believe?

edit; further clarification about getting the fit right:

I have a 40" chest, 180 pounds and it fits comfortably tight. I would recommend you to order this in your true size unless you are very skinny. If very skinny, you may want to size down, as for example Mendelboaz (spelling?) did in his model B, I believe. He is my height and same chest width but only 150 pounds orso and he fits into the 38, looking great.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy