Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New 'Vintage' A2

ldmax

Familiar Face
I just got my new US Authentic A2. It is their vintage goatskin. It is a nice shade of medium brown with a subtle russet tint. The goatskin is a little thicker and stiffer than their stock medium brown goatskin, but nowhere near as heavy as their horsehide. It is full aniline drum dyed, no dye sprayed on. There is a real variation in the color and grain in different areas of the jacket. The knits are a darker contrasting brown. The stitching has a clearly handmade imperfection to it. The jacket looks like it was built by a contractor trying to meet wartime demand. It doesn't have the subtle details of the premium reproductions, but is a very nice A2 for just under $500.
newjacket009yg1.jpg

newjacket011ha7.jpg

newjacket012zu6.jpg

newjacket013of7.jpg

This will do nicely until I can get a Good Wear.
Regards,

Tony

kojax

Practically Family
tony nice looking jacket. the color is nice to.....nice to hear the goatskin is a little thicker......i got a stock medium brown goatskin. the leather was way to thin....................i was wondering if there seal brown goatskin is a little heavy to ..............i still might get your color looks real nice........i was thinking about there horsehide to heavy for every day use. i called saul he told me the vintage horsehide is a little thinner.......good luck tony thank you for the pictures .............

rainguy

New in Town
VERY nice, Tony! I own the standard USAuthentic goatskin A-2 which I like a lot, though it is a darker, seal(esque) brown. Your new A-2 seems to be to have the best of both worlds: the suppleness of goat, the period-authentic russet brown of horsehide. Great choice.

Razor

New in Town
US Authentic

Nice looking jacket. I have a US Authentic Russet Horsehide A-2 that I have been wearing for 3 weeks and absolutely love the jacket.

I like the quality-fit and am not a collector of "Authentic A-2s". The thickness does not bother me and look forward to buying a goatskin from them. There quality is outstanding.

Razor

kojax

Practically Family
hello how heavy is your a2 horsehide......i am thinking of getting the a2 vintage goatskin from u.s mfg......i want a every day jacket. i think the horsehide will be to heavy for me my size is a 38 thanks..

Edward

Bartender
Looks good.... by the time I included shipping and customs it probably wouldn't save anything on buying a "real deal" Aero, but if I was in the US and looking for a jacket at a lower price, or a second one to have some nose art done on (I'd be unlikely to wear that so often), that would be a serious option.

ldmax

Familiar Face
Thanks for the comments, gents. Edward, with the current weak US dollar, a US Authentic might still be cheaper than an Aero. It works the other way for US buyers. I was considering an Aero Real Deal which I could have bought for $600 about a year ago. Now they are around $700 due to the weak US dollar. My US A A2 was $502 including shipping. Here are a couple pictures of me wearing it.
Inside, from the back:

newjacket0072ww0.jpg

Outside, from the front:

newjacket0152zt2.jpg

Sorry its a little blurry. My ladyfriend couldn't hold the camera steady!

Tony

Edward

Bartender
Good looking jacket! Perchance it gives you such an edge that your ladyfriend has gone weak at the knees, hence the blur? ;)

Razor

New in Town
Horsehide A-2

The thickness of the horsehide does not bother me since it is becoming more supple and taking on "character" everyday. I own goatskin A-2s but love the horsehide for my everyday cold weather wear.

I would not discount horsehide because of the thickness but instead ask yourself what environment will I wear the jacket. The jacket is warmer and blocks the wind better than goatskin.

Hope this helps you out. I am ordering the dark seal goatskin A-2 from US Authentic after the holiday for my "warmer" jacket wear. I am impressed with the quality of their jackets.

Regards,

Razor:p

kojax

Practically Family
hello i have a a2 seal brown goatskin from flight suites very nice jacket......i am thinking of getting a a2 vintage goatskin from u.s......i was thinking dark seal. i want to get a different color......

MKL

A-List Customer
Idmax, your jacket looks great. I have the horsehide from them and like it very much. Breaking it in nicely. Enjoy yours, I know you will.

ldmax said:
I just got my new US Authentic A2. It is their vintage goatskin. It is a nice shade of medium brown with a subtle russet tint. The goatskin is a little thicker and stiffer than their stock medium brown goatskin, but nowhere near as heavy as their horsehide. It is full aniline drum dyed, no dye sprayed on. There is a real variation in the color and grain in different areas of the jacket. The knits are a darker contrasting brown. The stitching has a clearly handmade imperfection to it. The jacket looks like it was built by a contractor trying to meet wartime demand. It doesn't have the subtle details of the premium reproductions, but is a very nice A2 for just under $500.
newjacket009yg1.jpg

newjacket011ha7.jpg

newjacket012zu6.jpg

newjacket013of7.jpg

This will do nicely until I can get a Good Wear.
Regards,

Tony

kojax

Practically Family
mkl i was just wondering how is the a2 horsehide i sold you holding up.....is it breaking in well......i know the horeshide is tough stuff.............lol

MKL

A-List Customer
Hi Kojax, the jacket is breaking in quite nicely. Still a bit stiff, but we haven't had a lot of cold weather since I purchased it last year (it is cold now). I think you must be mistaken about me purchasing the jacket from you. I got it from U.S. Authentic Manufacturing.

Thanks for asking.

kojax said:
mkl i was just wondering how is the a2 horsehide i sold you holding up.....is it breaking in well......i know the horeshide is tough stuff.............lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24