Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "Popeye Doyle" porkpie conversion

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

After seeing how fellow lounger D. H. Suratt did a most succesful porkpie conversion taking as inspiration the one worn by Gene Hackman, as detective "Popeye" Doyle, in the movie French Connection...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=30234&page=7

...I decided to try my hand at it, too.

As a subject for the experiment, I selected a Knox fedora, which happened to be of the appropriate coffee colour and have the adequate dimensions, like a 2'' brim.

Popeye1.jpg

Popeye2.jpg

I turned it "open crown", by smoothing the former pinched center dent crease:

Popeye4.jpg

Then, I "dry-shaped" the new crease. This being good quality felt, it adapted esasily to the new shape...

Popeye5.jpg

But I further defined the porkpie crease with my usual method, distilled water modelling.

Popeye6.jpg

popeye8.jpg

Popeye7.jpg

I made sure to add the distinctive feature of the "Popeye Doyle" porkpie, the pinch at the front.

It is a little taller than the inspirational model; mine had a wider ribbon, and I believe a correspondingly taller crown gives more harmony to the whole. I prefer taller crowns, also. ;)

I was very pleased with the result. This was my first porkpie attempt, and it was not as difficult as I imagined... which is precisely what several porkpie aficionadoes here told me to begin with, when I asked about it: gentlemen, you were right. :D Thanks to you all for the encouragement, and to Suratt for the ultimate motivation.

I have posted a photo of me wearing it at the "What hat are you wearing today" thread.

What do you think?

(Specially you, Gene... the subject is the Knox you so kindly sent my way... I hope you will not find the above conversion too sacrilegious! ;) )

Regards!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I thought that was the Knox I sent you but couldn't be absolutely sure since it really changed over to the porkpie so dramatically.

Very, very good job on that. Sacrilegious? NO WAY. You chose a good platform for the idea and saw it through with great skill.

If that hat had different proportions, I'd have kept it, but I never could warm up to it so I'm glad it's yours and you're having fun. It is some of the best felt I've felt though...

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff