Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Resignation

RIOT

Practically Family
I am hereby officially tendering my
resignation as an adult. I have decided
I would like to accept the responsibilities
of an 8 year-old.

I want to go to McDonald's and
think that it's a four star restaurant
and not have to worry about fat and calories.

I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud
puddle and make a sidewalk with rocks.

I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them.

I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer's day.

I want to return to a time when life was simple; When all you knew were colors, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care.

All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of all the things that should make you worried or upset.

I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest and good.

I want to believe that anything is possible. I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.

I want to live simple again. I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness, and loss of loved ones.

I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.

So... here's my checkbook and my car-keys, my credit card bills and my 401K statements. I am officially resigning from adulthood.

Author: Unknown

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Somebody needs a long nap.

If that doesn't work, there are plenty of people who would be glad to confiscate your car keys, house keys and accounts and tell you what to do.

RIOT

Practically Family
Yes, please. A full week with no responsibilities is all I ask. Just enough to charge my batteries. No more taking orders would be nice as well. :confused:

be_lovely

One of the Regulars
I have given up on being an adult a long long time ago!!!! I guess thats part of my charm. Stay innocent and act naieve, and wear pig tails as much as possible, get excited to see a cartoon, or if someone gives you candy. Thats my theory. Save the adulthood for the tedius parts of life, but live each day like a kid, and never ever give up on the simpleness of life from your childhood.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heck, go for it. Call in for the week, get a bottle of tequilla (better make it two bottles) and vanish. If you're married, tell the wife some half-hysterical lie, if you have kids (and you live in the US), tell them Daddy's driving to France.

Then make your way out to some California biker bar, makes some friends, get a tattoo, remortgage your house with a guy named Vinnie and blow your savings on junk bonds.

Sounds fun to me!

panamag8or

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
...I was just going to say....Bad day???
I loved the poem...I was checking some of them off that I still do.
heehee

Me, too.:D

I think someone else was having the bad day.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
My fave line:
Quote:
"I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow."

Loved the poem!

RIOT

Practically Family
It is a nice poem isn't it? :)

Not mine but whoever is "Unknown" got me wishing for a carefree life.

matei

One Too Many
I'm already on my way. I have neither a car, nor a 401K. I can't remember the last time I actually wrote a cheque either... :p

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Some of my best memories go back to when I was about ten-twelve; off for the summer, not a care in the world, pure freedom.

RIOT

Practically Family
I wish I could be one of the Lost Boys, especially on a nice Summer day like today. That's it! I'm booking my next flight to Neverland! And I don't mean the Ranch.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
RIOT said:
I am hereby officially tendering my
resignation as an adult. I have decided
I would like to accept the responsibilities
of an 8 year-old.

I want to go to McDonald's and
think that it's a four star restaurant
and not have to worry about fat and calories.

I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud
puddle and make a sidewalk with rocks.

I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them.

I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer's day.

I want to return to a time when life was simple; When all you knew were colors, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care.

All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of all the things that should make you worried or upset.

I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest and good.

I want to believe that anything is possible. I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.

I want to live simple again. I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness, and loss of loved ones.

I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.

So... here's my checkbook and my car-keys, my credit card bills and my 401K statements. I am officially resigning from adulthood.

Author: Unknown

But obviously a baby boomer.

Edward

Bartender
Mmmn. I dunno.... returning to childhood sounds all very well, but there's so much fun stuff here in adult world I'd miss. And there's nothing I'd loathe more than to have to go through my teens again. I'm even enjoying my thirties a lot more than I did my 20s.

griffer

Practically Family
Rose tinted glasses aid 20/20 hindsight.

It was never, nor will it ever be as good as your self edited memory makes it seem appear.

I miss the innocence and carefree aspects of child hood, too, but I also remember how I chafed at the yoke of 'youth'.

I couldn't wait to be 'older' and self-determining.

You can't have your childhood without surrendering your autonomy, and at my core I am the same individual.

Put me back in my rose colored memories, and I would be miserable and chained, waiting.

But that doesn't mean I don't get misty eyed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy