Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Son Left for the Air Force today...

dostacos

Practically Family
As I understand it, the Eagle actually bumps him up one rank, and I believe there is a device for eagle that can be worn on the uniform [the only non military award] They were doing the same with the amount of college completed.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
nubsnubs said:
So long as he keeps his reporting statement straight and steers clear of the snake pit (where the instructors sit during chow) then the rest will blow by without a problem. By the way, what job did he originally sign up for?

My son was fortunate that his recruiter used to be a TI (Training Instructor) at Lackland. Actually, he's the one that came up with the physical fitness program that's posted on the Air Force website. His recruiter filled him in before he left for basic about all the neat little "tricks" that TIs like to do and how to avoid the "snake pit".

John signed up for SERE (Survival,Evasion,Resistance,Escape) Instructor. He originally wanted to be on a flight crew, like an in-flight refueler, but he messed up his eye test (on his original physical) when he didn't understand what the tester was saying and said the wrong thing. But he'll be doing some traveling anyway as he trains in different environments. He also wants to sign up for the HALO (parachute jumping)--its an option that goes along with the SERE stuff. Scary-sounding stuff to a mom. :eek: Besides, his job as a SERE Instructor will be teaching flight crews how to survive a downed aircraft crash--whether in a hostile or non-hostile environment. I consider that an important job. Remember, Captain Scott O'Grady whose F-16 went down over Bosnia in 1995? He credits his survival and eventual rescue to the SERE training he received (as well as his faith in God and his comrades).

dostacos said:
As I understand it, the Eagle actually bumps him up one rank, and I believe there is a device for eagle that can be worn on the uniform [the only non military award] They were doing the same with the amount of college completed.

Yes, John did get bumped up one pay scale for his Eagle. But I didn't know about the device for eagle that can be worn on the uniform. I'll have to ask him about it.

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
I have never heard of a device for Eagle, but then again, I am not an Eagle Scout, and may just not know of it. It will help him that he was promoted for it though. The SERE friend of mine is HALO jump qualified, and that is not an easy thing to do. Like I said before, the best of luck to him. The SERE guys get all the fun, or at least most of it. Regardless of where he ends up, there will be plenty of opportunities. I started out as a jet engine mechanic, and now I am an AFOSI federal agent/criminal investigator (the NCIS of the Air Force). I would have never made it into a career like this had it not been for the Air Force. And travel he will, if it is his desire. I have traveled some, but my partner credits the Air Force for the 15 countries he has worked in. In my job I get the unfortunate ability to deal with the worst of the Air Force. However, it sounds as though your son will serve as a great asset to the service. Thank you. Keep us informed of his progress.. I hope the SERE works out for him.

VegasMike

One of the Regulars
Man, this thread kinda makes me miss my days in the Air Force.
I remember we used to mess with the SERE and PJ's when I was in Tech School. We were at the Medina annex at Lackland in Electronic Principles school, in the same Squadron as all these uber hardcore guys.
I don't recall specifically if it was the PJ's or SERE, but one of them had this little statue called "Murphy" that they had to carry around all the time, and keep secure at all times.

Some newbies had the statue one day, so one of our EP guys went over to their table in the Dining Facility, asked if he could see it, picked it up and walked off with it.

We used it as a guidon for our flight for about a week before their Major got into a yelling match with ours and they made us give it back :p

342trs.gif

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Good evening!

Hello all from beautiful downtown Tulsa. Bonniejean and I are on the way to San Antonio for John's graduation. we will try to post pics as we can. Thanks for all the words of support.

Harry

carter

I'll Lock Up
Harry Pierpont said:
Hello all from beautiful downtown Tulsa. Bonniejean and I are on the way to San Antonio for John's graduation. we will try to post pics as we can. Thanks for all the words of support.
Harry

You folks have a safe and enjoyable trip. It'll be great to see your son and you'll certainly notice some changes.
Can't wait to share your photos. :)

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Whew!

Well here we are in beautiful San Antonio, TX. We've been here since Wednesday but, haven't had time to post. It's been HOT but that's Texas. The graduation went well, he's now an Airman instead of a trainee. He will be in tech school for around 9 days here at Lackland but then will be heading to Fairchild AFB, Washington, state. We spent most of the day with him and his cousin, our niece, at Sea World. She's training to be an Army combat medic at Fort Sam Houston here in San Antonio. We will have some photos to post as soon as we can. Thanks

Harry

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harry Pierpont said:
Well here we are in beautiful San Antonio, TX. We've been here since Wednesday but, haven't had time to post. It's been HOT but that's Texas. The graduation went well, he's now an Airman instead of a trainee. ...

Harry

Congratulations to your son on graduating from basic. I know that is an occasion for him (and you) to be proud. I remember my son's graduation like it was yesterday. Of course it was anything from hot, as he did his basic and AIT at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri - in February. We skidded in on snow and ice for his graduation. It, too, was a time to remember (for more reasons than one).

Again, congratulations on achieving this milestone. Once he has a more "permanent" address, let me know and I will continue to write to him from time to time.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Photos from the road

Here are a few pics from our adventure;

Packing_Tulsa.JPG

Here I am packing Wednesday morning in Tulsa. (Forgot to change the camera back to color)

Graduation.JPG

His flight on the parade grounds, graduation day.

Shine_Dad.JPG

Shine_John.JPG

Here we are getting a shine.

End_of_a_long_day.JPG

Me mugging for the camera after all day at Sea World.

Sunday_after_church.JPG

Last day, Sunday after church.

Thanks again all for the words of support!!

ASimpleLady

Familiar Face
BonnieJean said:
OK, so I'm feeling a little blue. Harry Pierpont and I took our son to start his career in the Air Force this afternoon. The house seems a little empty after having him around for 19 years. Our son, John, the Airman trainee, has been the "adventurer" all his life, so I kind of knew he would take the "high" road. He's been fascinated with flight and planes most of his life and the Air Force is a natural fit for him. I know he'll do well, but its still kind of tough to watch your kids grow up and go out on their own.

It did get me thinking about the mothers and fathers who watched their sons/daughters go into the military doing those Golden Years and especially during WWII. Some of them would never return home. I wonder if they had the same anxious thoughts as I do and tried not to think about the 'what ifs'. I realize that children have been growing up and leaving home for centuries (myself included), but I really couldn't connect with it until I experienced it first-hand. I thought what I was feeling was a female thing until Harry told me on the way back home that he had a hard time concentrating on the drive taking John to his drop off point. He said he had to keep fighting a lump in his throat. Bless his heart, he misses him too.

If any FLoungers can give us newbie empty-nesters some advice on how to cope with these mixed feelings (Glad our son is making something of his life, but sad that he's left the "nest".), it sure would be appreciated.

(Well, we're almost empty-nesters, our other son just landed a better paying job and says he'll be moving out soon.)

I think keeping busy will help, but there will be many reminders that he isn't here. The good thing is that we'll be traveling to San Antonio, TX in early October for his graduation. Can anyone tell me what the weather is like in that part of Texas in October? Harry and I plan on wearing our vintage/vintage-inspired attire. He told our son that we would probably be easy to spot in the crowd of spectators at his graduation.

I think the real cure for my blues calls for shopping for new vintage/vintage-inspired outfits to wear on our trip south! :D

My mother had a hard time when my brother left two years ago but it was the best thing that EVER happened to him. He's a mechanic now and in stationed in N.C. and then will be going back to Little Rock.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Just an update

Well he didn't make SERE so his next available job is Aircraft Structural Maintenance. Currently he's at Pensacola NAS at tech school, after that he'll have his choice of several bases. He will get to come home for a few days for Christmas.
Thanks to all for your words of support, and to all other veterans out there... THANK YOU!!!

nubsnubs

Familiar Face
Harry Pierpont said:
Well he didn't make SERE so his next available job is Aircraft Structural Maintenance. Currently he's at Pensacola NAS at tech school, after that he'll have his choice of several bases. He will get to come home for a few days for Christmas.
Thanks to all for your words of support, and to all other veterans out there... THANK YOU!!!

I have many friends who are structural maintenance. I used to be a maintainer myself, though I was jet engines, and have since changed career fields. I am sure he will enjoy the job. Keep us informed of where he gets stationed.

P.S. Appx one day till I start my trek home from the Middle-East!!!:D

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harry Pierpont said:

I know you will be glad to have your son home for Christmas. When he gets a permanent duty station, let me know and I'll drop him a line now and then.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
This should be my last post on this thread. John tells me he will be stationed at Nellis AFB after tech school ends the first part of April. PM me or Bonniejean for the address after that date.

Thanks again!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran