Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My "Triple Crown" Birthday! (Pix of cut-down Borsalino)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Last weekend was my 56th birthday. My lovely wife bought me a Stratoliner for the event, and I took it, my midnight blue Borsalino and black Steven L. Stetson over to the Greeley Hatworks. All three needed blocked, and the Borsalino needed the brim cut down - so I figured for the event, I'd have all three done. As a result, I got back three functional hats. Here are the results:

The Stratoliner has become my immediate favorite. It has a 2.5" brim and 4" crown at the front. Overall, I really like its proportions.

Stratoliner-5.jpg

Stratoliner-8.jpg

And since the lining was missing, they found a beautifully color-matching replacement:
Stratoliner-interior.jpg

Next came the Midnight Blue Borsalino that I've had in storage for about three months. They cut down the brim to 2.75" and the crown is 4.5", so it's proportioned just the same as my Whippets:

Borsalino-1.jpg

Borsalino-3.jpg

Finally, I got my black Steven L. Stetson hat blocked. It's a bit more dramatic, with a brim at 3" and the crown at 4". it also evidently has some wool in it, as it's not as smooth as the others and it's harder to shape:

SLStetson-1.jpg

SLStetson-6.jpg

And incidentally, check the liner in the S.L. Stetson - it specifically disclaims any association with J. B. Stetson:

SLStetson-interior-2.jpg

So now I'm wearing the Stratoliner a lot, and waiting for slightly cooler weather to wear the blue and black. It was 101 here yesterday, but in the mid-80s today. This weekend while watching my daughter play softball, it will be Panama time.

I hope showing off these at once is OK - I know that a couple of folks have been waiting to see how this Borsalino would come out. Now I just need the Stratoliner pin for the Strat!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I was up there last Friday in Portland/Vancouver - just Friday night - flew back on Saturday night. I may be up there on the west side again before long - depends on what the alumni association needs me for. Seemed like everyone's schedules loaded up and we couldn't connect, so I took option #2 and stalked the wild microbrewski with some alumni friends.

Visigoth

A-List Customer
Happy Birthday!

Well, after counselling you not to cut the Borso, I think in fact it was very much the right thing to do. Looks brilliant.

NewMexExpat

One of the Regulars
Happy Day

Congratulations. The Strat is my favorite, too. They're all nice, and all look good on you. But the Stratoliner has your name on it. Great hat.

- Mark
:eek:fftopic: (p.s. - you guys are all a bunch of Enablers, or even Pushers! I started reading here months ago just because I wanted info to help me buy "A" hat. "A" = singular, as in one. So, months later I'm deciding to buy a Panama, and in the process getting hooked on the idea of either a Stratoliner or Open Road. Wrong thread, I know, -- All ya'll have great information, but I'm starting to think you're a bad influence.);)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
"A" hat. Suuuuuuure.

Let's say, a gray one. Then you realize you really need a brown one to go with earth-tone clothes. Shortly thereafter, you realize that a light colored Open Road with a fedora bash would really look better with casual outdoor wear.

And....

And....

And....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn