Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

N-1 Deck Jacket (repros)

Satori

New in Town
Does anybody know where I can get a decent N-1 reproduction? Any reviews on N-1s?

Eric

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not really - high-end cotton flight jacket repros are pretty much a Japan-only thing. Except for the materials, they cost just as much to make right as leather jackets. Only in Japan will people pay those prices for something made of cotton.

Satori

New in Town
I've seen the ELC/Rickson jackets which are very good but ridiculously expensive. Are any US manufacturers making N-1s?

Eric

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I asked Indy Magnoli awhile back about reproing an M-421 or similar type belt-back jacket. He said fine, but he'd have to price it more or less like a leather one as most of the costs were in the tailoring.

I've since found a Willis & Geiger 421 repro on eBay for $100. They're out there, but you need to wait awhile.

Corto

A-List Customer
I own a Spiewak N-1 Deck Jacket repro that I bought from anchortex.com.

n1.jpg

whitehot.jpg

deck-1.jpg

To be honest...it's not the most functional coat in the world (it's "short" and a bit drafty if you don't use the pull cords at the bottom on days well below 30 degrees. Also the range of motion could be better for us "husky" guys). However, I think it looks super-cool.

I think Spiewak discontinued them (I couldn't even get the olive drab color I wanted), but Alpha makes one. I just didn't want to have the logo printed on mine, so I went for the Spiewak.
If you get an Alpha, let me know what you think.

Obviously, if you have the cash, I'd go with Buzz Rickson. THOSE look HOT.

OR (why didn't I think of this first) you can get a REAL one from Vintage Trends.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Deck jackets

As autumn is upon us and winter isn't far away, I thought I'd re-start this thread. I recently bought a Buzz Rickson deck jacket, the short one. It's an incredibly warm and practical jacket. Ideal for driving. It's lined like the originals with some kind of cellulose (?) membrane to keep the rain out. That means it makes a bit of a rustling sound - especially when new - but this gets less noticable over time. It's a big jacket in that I got the largest size (44) but it fits me and I'm a 46-48 chest with broad shoulders. It has an original period zipper - always a nice touch :) - and the Bedfor Cord is a lovely looking and feeling material.
I recommend it to anyone !
I'll post better photos if there'e interest, including being worn, as flash photography doesn't show the colour or details very well.

Deck01.jpg

Deck02.jpg

Deck03.jpg

It looks good whether you are wearing chinos, jeans or cords.

I've just ordered the BR version of the N-1 and hope to receive that by the beginning of next week. I'll post photos of that in due course.
Cheer,
DDR

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I have an original Vietnam era foul weather jacket that I wore both as an enlisted sailor and officer. It was issued to me on the first destroyer to which I was assigned and I just about lived in it while at sea. One of my treasured possessions. It's a bit faded and worn...but then so am I.

green papaya

One Too Many
52Styleline said:
I have an original Vietnam era foul weather jacket that I wore both as an enlisted sailor and officer. It was issued to me on the first destroyer to which I was assigned and I just about lived in it while at sea. One of my treasured possessions. It's a bit faded and worn...but then so am I.

I also have a VN era foul weather jacket, they are nice for casual wear on a cold day

brownbanana

New in Town
US Wings has the spiewak N-1s...

Don't have the cash for a BR, but really considering getting an OD green spiewak from USWings. They only have Smalls left, but that may just be my size.

Hey Corto, if you'd happen to be reading this or if anyone can get into contact with him, may I ask how's the size and fit of your Spiewak N-1? Could you give me an idea of the length and chest in relation to your size? The shoulders also seem pointy but that may just be the angle. I'd really like to get an idea of the overall fit.

Much thanks if you may help me out.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
My recent ebay win

This picture of Paul Newman has always made me want a N1 deck jacket.
paul_newman1.jpg

I just won this on ebay.

a3b1_3.jpg

a834_3.jpg

If I look a fraction as cool as Paul Newman does in his I will be ecstatic.

Fredells

New in Town
"If I look a fraction as cool as Paul Newman does in his I will be ecstatic"

Hi Sir! From witch film is the Paul pic?

Regards Mikael

Michaelshane

One Too Many
52Styleline said:

I wish I still had mine.By the way I did two cruises to Viet Nam.

Riley Dee

One of the Regulars
Paul Newman's Jacket

Mikael,

I first saw this pic on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum. If I recall correctly, the original poster said that it was indeed Paul Newman's own deck jacket. I just remember being gobsmacked at how cool he looked.

I am mostly wearing the jacket with vintage 501's or APC New Standard jeans, a vneck tee shirt, and vintage Corcoran boots.

Fredells

New in Town
Riley Dee said:
Mikael,

I first saw this pic on the Vintage Leather Jacket forum. If I recall correctly, the original poster said that it was indeed Paul Newman's own deck jacket. I just remember being gobsmacked at how cool he looked.

I am mostly wearing the jacket with vintage 501's or APC New Standard jeans, a vneck tee shirt, and vintage Corcoran boots.

Thanks for the help!
Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy