Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name that Hat!

Al

One of the Regulars
I recently saw a hat that had a ridge down the middle of the crown from front to back. Not a crease or a dent, but a small ridge about the size of a pencil, maybe smaller. Anyway, can't remember what it's called. The style, type. Any guesses, thanks for jarring my memory. Must be getting old.

Thanks

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I have seen some Panama hats that have a ridge down the middle of the crown and I believe the name on that one was a Patron.

But if the ridge comes across the crown and down the front I believe it is called Optimo...

Keep in mind I am new to all this and learning, but I am sure you will get some more answers here quick.....

Edited to say , I see I took too long typing my answer and Gene got it for ya....

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Gene has it. The feature you're describing is an optimo ridge. When the crown of a hat only has that ridge, the hat is described as an optimo. Sometimes, hats will have some sort of crease, like a C crown, with an optimo ridge running through it.

optimo
art200906.jpg

optimo ridge as a feature in another crease
art200908.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
I had a conversation with JP about this recently. The ridge is easily obtained when reblocking a straw. He simply affixes a string to the part of the block where he wants the ridge before putting the hat on the block.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Lefty said:
optimo ridge as a feature in another crease
art200908.jpg

That is the style I saw with the name Patron.... So it is an Optimo also...

Guess the company I saw just gave it another name...

So much to learn, but every day is a another bit of knowledge. Thanks.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know that the optimo is more formal, but I believe that it's the more traditional style of panama - at least among Brits and Americans. I'm guessing on this one.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here's the thing (as I understand it):

Panama hats often were - and sometimes still are - rolled up. That crease either became a desired 'look' as the result of hats being rolled, or it was blocked in to facilitate the rolling process as is done today for rollers and just for style. Not sure if form originally followed function or the other way around, but I always associate this style trend as having its roots in the roll-up history of Panama straws. Note that not all optimo crowned Panamas are for rolling since many have leather sweat bands and somewhat brittle straw. But of those that can be rolled (fine weave, supple straw, no leather sweat), the optimo design is considered best for popping back into shape afterwards.

Whatever I think I've learned about this, and that I feebly share, has come to me via exposure to the knowledgeable Fedora Loungers. If I have mangled the message, please feel free to correct me. :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
My understanding is you fold it in along the ridge and then roll it up. I saw the 5th Doctor Who (Peter Davidson) do that on TV many years ago. He wore an optimo.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's about right. The way it works on rollers is to flip the brim down all around, then collapse one half of the crown into the other half along the center line running over the crown from fore to aft. Then, not too tightly, roll the doubled over brim around onto itself. The hat creases along that crown center line and ends up in an acute cone shape. Some would then tie that or use the hat ribbon in a couple of loops to hold it in place. There are also tubes and pie slice shaped boxes for roll-ups.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Courtesy of Art Fawcett

This can also be done with a felt hat- in this case, "The Faulkner:"

DSC_6351.jpg

DSC_6347.jpg

Now that spring is on its way, I have started wearing it again!!!

Cheers,

RC

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I thought AlanC was the only one with such a hat - I was under the impression that it was his idea (not that there's anything wrong with copying Alan's great style). Does anyone else have a felt optimo styled hat?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yep, and I think it's a great style. :)
A plain optimo in felt, though, seems to be a pretty rare thing.

Just for the sake of illustration, here's Art's Spumoni (the above panamas are from Panama Bob, and blocked by Art)
Spumoni_1.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Back in the '20s, Langenberg offered a felt hat they called the Welted-Crown hat, a Homburg style that looked like it had an Optimo ridge, but it was stitched into a welt, a step beyond just blocking the ridge into it.

Brad

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I saw the 5th Doctor Who (Peter Davidson) do that on TV many years ago. He wore an optimo.

I heard from a customer recently that the good Dr. had three different versions of the hat. One was always rolled up, one was always halfway and the other was always opened. TV magic did the rest.

Patron. The Patrons that I've seen have been similar to gambler styel crowns with the ridge.

Tidbit: Lots of people are asking about roll up Optimos this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic