Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name This Plane...from the inside

Mike K.

One Too Many
Looks like a Dornier 335.
Do_335_prototype_550.jpg

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Only two engines, I believe the other levers are prop and mixture controls. A fairly wide cockpit. I suspect it's a cargo hauler of some sort. I've figured out a lot of things it's not, but don't know what it is! Here's a really wild guess - a Douglas DC 5. Yep, I said DC 5.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Sorry guys...been away from the computer for awhile.

Here are your first clues:
It is a twin-radial engine aircraft of North American origin.
I may have broken the rules a bit as this is a post-WWII plane.
Here is the clencher - it was the first (and maybe the only) built-for-purpose aircraft of its kind.
...and look closely at that gizmo on the control yoke.

* I'll be on the road for the holidays, but will check back in this weekend. Good luck! *

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
OK, I'm looking at it. Assumed it was an add-on after the airplane was in service, probably some sort of switch box. The resolution isn't really good enough to make out more. I suppose telling us the purpose for which it was built would be a give away?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Nice job KilroyCD!!

My next clue was going to be "Smokey Bear" but you nailed it.
The CL-215 was the first aircraft (and to my knowledge, still the only one) to be built specifically for the purpose of aerial wildland firefighting. All other air tankers (as us firefighters know them) are converted DC-6s, B-17s, Catalinas, P-3s, and now even 747 jumbo jets. The CL-215 is a very unique and versatile aircraft when it comes to firefighting. The seat-of-the-pants, stick & rudder flying that air tanker pilots do is very dangerous but exciting.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Flieger said:
Hey, Kilroy! It took some digging but I think I got it - Curtiss A-12 Shrike :)

Good choise! It's one of those "Golden Era" classics I love.

/F
Yes, you got it! I thought it might have been a tough one...
Does anyone have one they'd like to post now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy