Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name This Plane...from the inside

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, how about this bad boy of the air?

F4U_cockpit_300.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

phyllis1753

New in Town
staggerwing said:
I'm not an expert, but I've seen pictures of tailwheel versions. I assume these were the earliest models. So, does that mean I get to keep it?

The first Me-262 was a tail-dragger. It was immediately obvious that tail wheel jets melted the asphalt. Quick, Willy, back to the drawing board! (There were other drawbacks as well) All other 262s were tricycle gear. Cheers!

phyllis1753

New in Town
The Wingnut said:
I'd imagine it probably blew a lot of debris through the elevator surfaces.

No. The elevator was high up enough on the tail for that. I'm assuming that you know something about tail-draggers. One has to get the tail up quick enough for the elevators to provide control. Early jets accelerated soooo slooowly that test pilots on the prototype 262 had the trick of tapping the brakes "just so" on takeoff and this would force the tail to come up. (As if you have nothing better to do on takeoff.) Anyway, this was the main reason all other 262s (and most other jets) have tricycle landing gear. The Smithsonian Institution published a book on the Me-262 some 25 years ago. Excellent book if you can find one. Cheers!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
P-61

Very cool aircraft. The whole idea of being able to use radar alone, plus a solid wall of lead, as a means of knocking down the enemy. Must have scared the hell out of Luftwaffe pilots.

Musta scared the heck outta everybody--with that black paint and the exhaust-flame suppressors, it'd be nearly invisible unless directly illuminated. Unless you put a searchlight right on it, you'd never know it was there until you were goin' down... I recall several "mistaken identity" hits on B-29s.

See why I like it so much?:eek: :D lol

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
nubsnubs said:
Not sure of anyone has heard, but there is a company building brand new me 262's from scratch, off of original blueprints. God how it must feel to sit behind the stick of such an aircraft. Please see the link below for details:
http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

Actually, they used our 262b (from the earlier posts in this thread) as the "blueprint". The original blueprints were destroyed years ago and they took ours apart to use as a template. Since ours was a 2-seater (& the only dual control trainer left) it was very valuable to them to manufacture & sell a 2-place version. And naturally, we got ours restored as part of the deal. :) If you're interested in learning more about that, PM me...

If you have a couple million, there is still one remaining repro for sale! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24