Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nathaniel's Outback Explorer

leo

One of the Regulars
A couple of months ago I ordered my first custom-built hat and got it last week. Per request, here are a few photos.

It is an Outback Explorer in 50/50 blend from Nathaniel's of Colorado. The color is a tan called Sahara. The felt is very "dense", yet lightweight. The crown is 4". The brim is 2 7/8" but about 2 3/4" on the underside because the sweatband extends out onto the brim a little. I am told that is done to prevent sweat stains.

Co-workers, who are used to seeing me in fedoras, offered very positive unsolicited comments yesterday.

Bill

Nates_hat_7445.jpg

Nates_hat_7446.jpg

Nates_hat_7447.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks nice, Leo. I like the color and ribbon, and I'm finding myself liking the turned down front and back look more and more. That sort of tells me I'm developing a taste for more western looking hats, so tell me you hate it and save me from another money pit. Please?!

RBH

Bartender
BobC said:
That looks nice, Leo. I like the color and ribbon, and I'm finding myself liking the turned down front and back look more and more. That sort of tells me I'm developing a taste for more western looking hats, so tell me you hate it and save me from another money pit. Please?!
The turned down back can be found in alot of photos and films from the
1930's on quite a few fedoras. I believe it was more common than we think.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nice lid, Leo. It's nice to see work from hatters who aren't often represented here. Enjoy!

RBH said:
The turned down back can be found in alot of photos and films from the
1930's on quite a few fedoras. I believe it was more common than we think.

That's true. The turned down brim look was much more common in the 30's -- and vintage ads and photos reflect this. By the 40's, the brim up in back was certainly more the norm.

For what I call my "outdoors" lids, I really prefer the brim down all around -- outback or safari style. Protects the neck from sun and rain.

Sorry, BobC -- you're just going to have to pay your dues. So man up! :D

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Nice lid, Leo. It's nice to see work from hatters who aren't often represented here. Enjoy!

That's true. The turned down brim look was much more common in the 30's -- and vintage ads and photos reflect this. By the 40's, the brim up in back was certainly more the norm.

For what I call my "outdoors" lids, I really prefer the brim down all around -- outback or safari style. Protects the neck from sun and rain.

Sorry, BobC -- you're just going to have to pay your dues. So man up! :D

Cheers,
JtL

lol lol lol Oh, well. Here I go again.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:

That's what I love about my grey Akubra CEO: it's a dressy-looking bound-brim fedora with a turned down brim available in dressy colors.

On me there was something about the hat that didn't quite click. Then I got a light grey pugaree from David Morgan for a mere $5 the wider band transformed it. I intend to get more pugarees for it in hunter green, black, and burgundy (available from Miller Hats for $10 ea) to accent whatever else I'm wearing.

I've since also experimented with ribbons, and I've decided I'm going to replace the matching grey ribbon with a slightly wider black one. With that, the CEO definitely takes on a pre-war dressy fedora look. Then when I want to go more casual I can just put a pugaree over it.

I also like a downturn brim for the outdoors--it sheds the rain more evenly and shades the eyes better. These are both considerations in Seattle where we have a low sun angle and frequent rain. My CEO is like a buddy.

leo

One of the Regulars
RobFedoraField said:
Nice hat, if you don't mind me asking, what's the price range of the hat? what type of felt is it?

Sorry about the delay in getting back...something about holiday sloth.

This one is 50% beaver and 50% rabbit and normally sells for $525. Nate will also put a brim edge binding on it for an extra $25. He makes pure rabbit and pure beaver versions with a variety of colors and ribbon treatments.

gtdean48, I'm normally camera shy, but I'm considering posting such a photo. The hat passed the "wife test" so I must look passable in it. :p

Bill

RBH

Bartender
That seems kind of high for a 50/50 hat, I know Mike gets only gets $400 for a 100% beaver. Maybe a little more if it has a bound edge .. ect ect.
But as I said before that is a great looking hat.
Will we get to see it on???

sorry.. just looked back over the post and saw this....
leo said:
gtdean48, I'm normally camera shy, but I'm considering posting such a photo. The hat passed the "wife test" so I must look passable in it. :p

Bill

You know this bunch here ..we all love to see the 'hats' in action. :)

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Looked at Nate's prices and had a bit of sticker shock too. That is why I tried to find out which Akubra model Josh Bernstein wore before he started getting them from Nate! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy