Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Geographic Culture Section Montecristi

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
On an unnumbered page in the Geographica section of National Geographic's November 2005 edition is a one page article about Montecristi Panama Hats. It is a decent article and I'd like to quote a few lines:

"Weaving's pay is low but its physical demands are high: artisand hunch over for hours over wooden blocks..."

"In the past little profit from hat sales trickled back to Montecristi. But that's changing. Brent Black, a Hawaii based hat dealer, started a nonprofit group to help weavers' villages. He plans to pay master weavers commissions based on what each Panama sells for--and his hat prices often top five thousand dollars."

""I'm hoping more will stay with the art or be drawn to it." Black says."

"Perhaps the brightest prospect...Simon Espinal. Spinning neat, snug rows as fine as 50 to an inch, Espinal turns out only six or so hats a year."

MY COMMENTS:

After nearly 2 decades of selling hats (that are in my opinion incredibly high priced) it is nice to see a sudden urge to help the people out. I'm sorry it seems that only the best and brightest will be helped out since there are only a handful of weavers who can produce a hat of the caliber of a master weaver.

I think selling more hats will draw people to want to work.

The mentioned weaver told my brother-in-law Wilson Espinales (011-59-35-275-8890) that he could not sell any hats to us because he had an exclusive contract with one Hawaiian company and he was committed to giving them hats first. When offered $500.00 he said that it was more than he was contracted and that he would think about it.

Simon Espinal lives in what we would typify as a shack and when we showed him emails stating that he lived in among the nicest houses in Montecristi he scoffed.

6 hats X $400 a year is even lower than the avg. worker in Ecuador. It will be great when Espinal and the others get their fair share of the huge profits gained off of their backs.

Please don't compare this to shoe companies, clothing companies, etc. These are artists handcrafting items, not people working in sweatshops.

With the advent of the internet they can see their exploitation first hand. Unfortunately weaving is their livelihood so they can't turn a sale down.

Some people say shame on the Delgados, Pachays, Francos, and Meros who serve as the middlemen. I've got news for you, they don't make 1000s of percentages profit. Shame on the man who takes a $40.00 hat and sells it for $450.00.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again. There isn't a hat in Montecristi that costs more than $600.00. Let's go on down and I'll show you where to get it. You pay my way and you'll still spend a lot less than $5,000, let alone $20K or $30K.

And to those that have bought from us...Thank you!

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Bob -- thank you for the information. You might consider writing to National Geographic so that they know, too. I'm sure their readers would be interested to know that there's another side to the story, and that it's not the weavers who have the best of it.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I know there are dozens of men and women here who know the truth as well. My letter will fall on deaf ears, I'm afraid, as I've been asking them for months not to quote only one side.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi Bob hi to all,
the next january my sister's husband will go in Ecuador.
He's a free-lance photoreporter,he'll go there for a tour operator who have requested him a reportage about Ecuador.
I think i could meet you or your hats makers and take them some pics...if you like it.
I don't know if it could be a good thing for you and your friends, but i would like to know your idea about it.
Let me know if it could be possible.

Best regards.
Riccardo.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
profit

Panamabob ,are you saying that the guys here selling the monticristi hats that are handmade are not worth $5000 or more ? They claim that they pay alot of money for the bodies and that they finsh off the hats which cost a lot of money . :cool2:

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
The price one pays is up to the individual and isn't any of my business.

I heard a lot of stories about hat prices and people taking care of people in Ecuador. When I lived in Ecuador I found the prices much lower than people said and the taking care of people was a once in a while thing and was purely self serving in offering more hat blocks, eyeglasses so they could see what they were weaving...etc.

I'm telling the honest truth when I say you don't have to pay $5000.00 for the finest hat in Montecristi.

You don't see any of those hatters getting on here and disputing me. They can't. I can take you down tomorrow to Ecuador and you'd spend more on your flight than on the finest hat in town.

I see it sometimes as someone artificially manipulating the market. I'm sure he would tell you it is "his" market because I believe he firmly believes it is. Pathology is a strange thing.

If my wife wasn't from Ecuador and we weren't looking for her family to make an "honest" living, then we wouldn't have even thought of exporting these hats.

As many members here know, you can get a very good hat in the $50.00 range. A hat that looks suspiciously like the hat I have with a $450.00 price tag on it from somewhere. Or even like the other hat I have that had a $750.00 tag on it from somewhere else that I would wholesale for $35.00 and sell for $50.00.

I may be mistaken on many things, but I know these hats very well and I know the people that do not benefit from their high profits are the people in and around Montecristi.

Getting to the $5,000.00. Yes it does cost money to fly to Ecuador and it might take an hour or so to block the hat. So if you eliminate the trip to Ecuador you have a decent hourly wage in there. Then you pay a seamstress $25.00 to sew in the leather and make a ribbon. Heck, you could get a body for $600.00, pay a blocker $200.00 to block and finish it and have about $1000.00 into the hat including postage and a $4.00 leather band and $.30 worth of grosgrain ribbon and still make $4000.00 for doing literally not much at all.

I'm not a good storyteller, so I don't try to make $4000.00 per hat on my name alone. My name means nothing when I am gone, but my deeds will last generations.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Code:
the next january my sister's husband will go in Ecuador.

I can set him up with many people from the Andes to the Coast to photograph. Tell him he can't miss Cuenca. Cuenca is the nicest city in Ecuador (sorry Guayaquilenos y Quitenos!).

www.cuencanet.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner