Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sahuayo hats

milandro

A-List Customer
A few years ago I spent a holiday in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, and other places in the Yucatan ( visited Cichen Itza where one should certainly find the cheapest hats around and the cheapest souvenirs, if you haggle ) , I found that most hats were made of very good palm but they were generally too stiff to my taste and I had already a fair share of " western" hats (of which the majority were at the time) , but they left a lasting impression that Mexican palm leaf hats were worth exploring.

Later I found that many brands ( Stetson too) have hats made with Mexican palm perhaps even made in Mexico themselves .

So when I came across a sahuayo hat I decided to buy it and it was very cheap because the people selling it were surely looking more than the way the hat was or was made at the " made in Mexico" thing.

Well let me tell you this is a very nice hat, not only for the money but " per se" , the palm is nice , not too stiff, elastic and a great fit. I have another Mexican toquilla palm hat (so the palm they use for Panamas in Equador) good too, but the sahuayo hat is a great bang for your few bucks!

My hat looks very similar (I'd say is identical ) to this , I'd highly recommend it if you want a robust palm leaf hat which won't break the bank

1707917903562.png

Last edited:

milandro

A-List Customer
should someone be curious about the manufacture of these hats watch this video (in Spanish, I am sorry). The hat is not woven as a Panama would be, they use the palm fiber in a strip sawn together, pretty much like a Shantung Hat is made , the difference is the fiber used, this isn't paper, it is palm.

This palm is both sturdy and and elastic , unlike rafia which is a palm too , is nice and smooth. It can certainly be shaped without too many problems. There are many western hats made of the same material. I think this fiber should deserve more attention by hat makers.

Compared to toquilla palm, Mexican palm hats are heavier and thicker but I think that they are more robust and can take more punishment than toquilla which is a more delicate hat.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
So I got one of these just out of curiosity and the hat's palm fibers are okay. I would wear it except the "sweatband" is made out of cardboard.

I'm thinking to take the cardboard band out but i don't know how comfortable the palm fibers will be. I mean, it seems that the cardboard will just disintegrate with the first sweat, anyway, no? Or is there some kind of cardboard that one can sweat in?

So I got one of these just out of curiosity and the hat's palm fibers are okay. I would wear it except the "sweatband" is made out of cardboard.

I'm thinking to take the cardboard band out but i don't know how comfortable the palm fibers will be. I mean, it seems that the cardboard will just disintegrate with the first sweat, anyway, no? Or is there some kind of cardboard that one can sweat in?
I would look at picking up a cloth sweat on Etsy. It is fairly easy to tack stitch them in. Then at least you have an actual sweat band. Where did you buy the hat?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I would look at picking up a cloth sweat on Etsy. It is fairly easy to tack stitch them in. Then at least you have an actual sweat band. Where did you buy the hat?
Thanks, I didn’t even think to look on Etsy for cloth sweatbands. I actually want one for another hat.

I got my Sahuayho on eBay for $15.00.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
If you are buying a new sweatband and accepting the effort/expense to sew it in, I have to wonder if there is any price advantage compared to SunBody?
I don’t have a SunBody so I can’t speak to that. But SunBody seems to have a reputation for being a very rugged palm leaf hat - kind of the Akubra of palm hats. I wouldn’t say this feels as durable. But honestly, it is hard for me to see past the cardboard sweatband. It is quite handsome though with some nice touches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner