Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Handwriting Day, January 23rd

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The Writing Instrument Manufacturers Association has declared January 23 to be National Handwriting Day. The date was chosen as it is the birthday of John Hancock, he whose bold signature on the Declaration of Independence lent itself to the term "your John Hancock" being synonymous with "your signature."

I thought this would be of interest as we have many members who bemoan the rarity of the written word these days.

Regards,
Tom

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
That's interesting, as I have been trying to improve my handwriting recently, I have another thread on this forum regarding this subject. I have a caligraphy fountain pen and it does make a difference. I was always getting into trouble at school with my bad writing, the masters were always making me write lines to try to improve it. They would be pleased to hear my boss praise me a few days ago for having good writing! ;)

Last edited:

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
As one of the aforementioned bemoaners, thank you.
1.gif

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
My handwriting has never been what I would call particularly lovely (people say left-handers don't have nice handwriting - anyone else hear this?) but I have found in the last few years if I have to write even a small paragraph by the end my writing has degenerated and my hand feels so tired - however I could type reams and reams....

I love seeing nice handwriting but I think in this day and age of technology that sadly it is now a dying art and in the coming years we will see less and less of it.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I'm a left-hander and used to have very good handwriting. I can still write well if I really take my time, but I rarely have occasion to write anything down. I pay all of my bills online so I don't write more than a couple of dozen checks a year, if that. Whatever handwriting I do these days seldom amounts to more than just scribbling a note quickly. I know what you mean by your hand getting tired. Writing utilizes a completely different muscle set than typing does.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
It does not take a lot to impress. I was using a Varisty fountain pen to take notes at a Boy Scout meeting. The kids were so impressed. I loved those bulky foutain pens that came out in the seventies.

My kids (now in high school) can barely read cursive.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Right now I am collecting data. I handwrite my notes during the interview and handwrite my notes after. I probably spend at least 4-6 hours during a typical week day writing constantly, probably for the last two months and probably will do this for the next 6 months.

Years ago I knew that my writer's bump would never go away, I have bone and scar tissue changes in my middle finger on my right hand due to holding the pen too tightly (I am a lefty but was taught to write with my right hand, so I think that is part of it). After the next 6 months, I am sure that my writer's "badge of honor" will never go away. :)

amador

A-List Customer
My handwriting was never very good but legible when I use block letters. As a physician over the years cursive has gone from bad to gostesque. I use Electronic Medical Records now. I once got a call at 0300 in the morning. Nurse telling me that she could not read my writing. I explained that I deliberately used block letters on orders so that there would not be any error. She said that she could not read my signature. If you cannot read my signature how did you know it was me? Should be able to read my orders and RECOGNIZE my signature. Nurses have little to do at 0300, so let's call the Doctor about something or other for entertainment.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Being a teacher, I write constantly. I don't write for long periods of time. I write notes that are mostly a paragraph or two long. I've been using pencils almost 100% of the time, as I don't like to cross out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy