Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navajo Silver Bolo Signed

alhartman

New in Town
by Tom Bahe--Navajo silversmith 1924-2009 famous for his overlay work.

This is after the famous “End of the Trail’ plaster at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma city. It is signed on the back and stamped sterling. It is about 2 3/8 diameter. This was an auction house item from about 20 years ago and marked at $147 then. This was likely crafted before the late 70s as he changed his mark to T Bahe from the earlier Tom Bahe. Tom's work is a very collectible and appears occasionally in the Native American auction house circuit. This was worn by a relative at the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Also including an unsigned malachite bolo with nice cord lock. Good heavy silver with very tight bezel work. Unsigned.

Both for $370 shipping included in lower 48.

My grandfather would wear bolo ties with his Open Road-- sartorial Wichita bankers in the 50s.

I will try posting some photos next but this is my first attempt so give me a few hours to figure it out!!

alhartman

New in Town
bahe3a.jpg bahe2.jpg

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
I might be interested in the first one, unfortunately not at that price though. If you are interested in dealing let me know.

The sculptor of End of the Trail, James Earl Fraser, also designed the buffalo nickel. FWIW.

alhartman

New in Town
Tom Bahe work is fairly hard to find and very pricey. I really prefer not to deal with the hassle of selling the malachite bolo separately as it isn't collectible. But for a Lounger (and someone a fan of James Earle Fraser), I'll sell the Bahe piece solo for $290.

Wally in Cincy

One of the Regulars
I had never heard of Tom Bahe but after looking around the Web I see that his work does indeed command a premium price. I really can't pay that much for the tie but I appreciate your taking the time and effort to make a reasonable offer. Good luck with the sale.

alhartman

New in Town
No problem. I just wanted to offer in Lounge before going off to some Indian American art auction--less trouble and know the piece would be in good hands.

alhartman

New in Town
Not sold yet. Sitting in a pile of other family Native American stuff (mainly pots) to await picking an auction house. Still happy to sell privately....al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou