Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nazi V2 archival documents found

Stand By

One Too Many
We all know about the German V2 rockets and how they were used to such devastating effect against Allied targets in London - but what about the R&D stages and the test-launches? Where did they fire them to assess their effectiveness? I know I'd never thought about it before ...
These very rare Nazi documents have just shown up and get a load of the answer!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...veal-Hitler-used-cities-test-V-2-rockets.html

MikeKardec

One Too Many
I believe that we bombed Mexico with a couple of these after the war ... with some of those same Germans at the helm. I can believe the desperate need to test them on buildings might have lead to this, and certainly the Nazis would have been the ones to do it but I suspect that we also proved that if you didn't really know what you were doing they didn't go where you wanted!

http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/morgue/2009/01/v2-rocket-off-course-falls-near-juarez.html

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One of the smartest things that British Intelligence did, was to leak false information, stating that V2 rockets were over shooting London by 10 to 20 miles. The Germans fell for it and reset their guidance system, thus saving thousands of Londoners!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
We all know about the German V2 rockets and how they were used to such devastating effect against Allied targets in London - but what about the R&D stages and the test-launches? Where did they fire them to assess their effectiveness? I know I'd never thought about it before ...
These very rare Nazi documents have just shown up and get a load of the answer!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...veal-Hitler-used-cities-test-V-2-rockets.html

Wow!
Just wow!
I have never been in any doubt that WW2 was 'the good war', and that even the losers are lucky we won, and this sort of thing just confirms my belief.

Renault

One Too Many
Archaeologist son did some contract work at White Sands several years ago. Required lots of walking. There is still one unaccounted for V2 somewhere there on site. They were told in Their UXO class to be on the look out for it!!! They really want to find it.

This was not the reason they were there but they wanted them to make sure to keep an eye out for it.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
There are some comments from those who read German saying the story is bogus and the documents have nothing to do with testing rockets.

pawineguy

One Too Many
One of the smartest things that British Intelligence did, was to leak false information, stating that V2 rockets were over shooting London by 10 to 20 miles. The Germans fell for it and reset their guidance system, thus saving thousands of Londoners!

To the dismay of the civilians in Kent!

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The "daily mail" story is utter nonsense and total bogus!

I am disgusted how shamelessly the "daily mail" is making up stories.
That so many "readers" uncritically buy this sensationalist baloney is quite sad. shakeshead

As several of the comments below the article point out, the documents have absolutely nothing to do with what the "daily mail" claims.

These are German army (not SS) training unit documents regarding a "what-if" scenario of an allied invasion of Germany's Baltic sea shore from the South of Sweden... which of course never materialized.

Other parts of the shown documents are about the positioning of troops at the Baltic shore.

:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
The last casualties in England by a V2 was indeed Kent. More fell in fields though, so it did lessen casualties. Here is a list of all the V2 launches and were the impacted! http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/timeline.html

Absolutely. It WAS a brilliant stroke by either intelligence or Churchill, depending on who you believe. The V2 was inefficient on a "per rocket" basis, but there were some horrific casualties when the Germans got lucky.

GE-Man

New in Town
I am german. These documents have nothing to do with V2-rockets. They are a map-exercise to teach military strategy to new wehrmacht-officers.

Stand By

One Too Many
The "daily mail" story is utter nonsense and total bogus!

I am disgusted how shamelessly the "daily mail" is making up stories.
That so many "readers" uncritically buy this sensationalist baloney is quite sad. shakeshead

As several of the comments below the article point out, the documents have absolutely nothing to do with what the "daily mail" claims.

These are German army (not SS) training unit documents regarding a "what-if" scenario of an allied invasion of Germany's Baltic sea shore from the South of Sweden... which of course never materialized.

Other parts of the shown documents are about the positioning of troops at the Baltic shore.

:eusa_doh:

Well, thank you for the correction (I'm always happy to be corrected if I'm in error. It's all part of the learning process and I really enjoy TFL for what I learn here). That's very good to know and I would go as far as to say that I'm very relieved to learn that the story appears to be incorrect. What a relief for the locals.

But as a "sad" "reader" (who doesn't read German) who erroneously bought into a new angle of a well-known story that was new to me, I would respond that given the then-Nazi regime's catalogue of industrial-scale atrocities and complete moral bankruptcy, I hope I can at least be forgiven for finding the story that I passed along was plausible.

In future, I shall endeavour to exercise more care with my sentence construction when posting and include caveats where I am unsure.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
The "sad readers" was not directed personally at you. Sorry for writing it that harshly.
Non-German speakers of course are at a disadvantage.

The sad part indeed is that the "daily mail" is (again) resorting to lies and sensationalist fantasy to mislead readers.

Stand By

One Too Many
Quite alright.
It is disappointing how the press/mass media is often misleading with the truth in the name of sensationalism or their own agenda. It's everywhere and I see it all the time here in Canada too, alas; in what gets reported - or not at all.
Cheers.

Dumb&dumber

Familiar Face
Press was also misleading the world on the allied unnecessary bombing and flattening Dresden (officially declared open city by the red cross) hence all thousands of refugees fleeing from the red army and communist partisans(not only German origin but also Baltic, russians etc...)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav