Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a leather MC jacket religned

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Forgive me for asking a question that's been asked a thousand times here before, but my quick and dirty search didn't turn up what I needed.

I have a co-worker with a 20 + year old Harley-Davidson jacket that is very nice - cord caller, zip-off sleeves, nice heavy leather that's been aged to perfection. The lining is pretty well shot and he would like to get it relined. The jacket is in the Southwestern United States and it's a given that there is nobody around here who is willing to try it, much less competent to do it.

Can anyone recommend someone domestic to do the work?

Thanks.

Mark

nick123

I'll Lock Up
If by "domestic" you mean in the U.S., this company is highly recommended here:
http://johnsonleather.com/

I know it's a pain to ship but if the jacket is valuable to your coworker I would recommend it greatly. If your coworker need anything else done to it, (new zipper, etc.) I would recommend JL highly.
The ONLY thing I would not recommend doing is sending it off to be conditioned with leather conditioner until your friend does some research on what kind of leather it is/how it was tanned, etc.
Of course one should not interfere with a renowned jacket maker's advice, but, it is your friend's jacket and leather conditioning can be a sensitive issue for people.
Alan at JL recommended mink oil to me when I bought my jackets there, and Im guessing this is what they would use by default if he was to get it cleaned up.
Mink oil is probably fine, but just be sure that this is your coworker's treatment of choice.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If it is a nice jacket, maybe ship it to Carrie at Insurrection in Seattle. She is an outstanding surgeon of leather. Won't be inexpensive though.

jamac

New in Town
Upon calling Insurrection seeking a main zipper replacement I was given the name of someone in the Modesto California area who appears highly regarded and qualified. Apparently Insurrection will only work on garments they have sold. Otherwise, happy hunting.

I had a no-name leather jacket relined a few years back.
Tried to do a search to find who I used but no luck.
I'll check some receipts at home to see if I can locate them again.
I think it was in California...www.leather.com = San Diego Leather Company = "We also repair jackets that we didn't make for slightly more. "

frussell

One Too Many
Avoid LA Leather Cleaners. They supposedly do re-lining and repairs as well as cleaning. I sent a jacket there to be cleaned (eBay purchase) and to have the pockets repaired, buttons stitched back on. They charged my credit card, and sent the jacket back untouched. Waste of time, after complaining enough, got most of my money back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran