Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice for which shoes to go with this suit

nihil

One of the Regulars
Hello to you all :)

I've been reading on this forum for a long time, and just registered a few days ago. Here's my first post.

I got a double breasted charcoal pinstripe suit of a modern production. I do own dress shoes, but they are much too modern for use with this suit. Despite it being of a modern manufacture it still got a very vintage feel about it, and i would like the rest of the outfit to match this feeling.

I've been looking around and been looking at these.
http://www.biggerbids.com/members/images/13926/public/1621398_M802A.jpg

Any suggestions?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Nihil. The general consensus as far as CURRENT interpretations is away from black and towards brown. I am partial to the Allen-Edmonds Strand model in walnut.

Use this link to see the shoe with a gray pinstripe pant: AE Strand

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Nihil. The general consensus as far as CURRENT interpretations is away from black and towards brown. I am partial to the Allen-Edmonds Strand model in walnut.

Normally I would suggest brown shoes with gray, but this is so dark that it would seem off to me.

nihil

One of the Regulars
Yes, the fabric is very close to black. I think brown shoes, unless a very dark shade of brown, would look out of place.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Stick with black on these, and I favor the balmoral lacing that your sample has. Your suit has a very formal look and the closed-throat lacing is in keeping with that. Also, brown would detract from that feel. I'm partial to Allen Edmonds shoes, but I have no idea of what they may cost to import to Denmark.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Either wingtips or the cap-toe balmoral would work. My grandfather wore black cap-toe oxfords with his suits; it's a timeless look. If your first inclination is toward the shoes in your photo then go with those, they can be had from many manufacturers at various price points.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Black would be safest but depending on the situation you could go with burgundy or cordovan as well; at least I would....

b.jpg

nihil

One of the Regulars
Those are very beautiful. Both in design and color.

I must admit that I ended playing it safe and went with the ones I had been looking at to begin with. But the many great suggestions have inspired me to look for different shoes next time I'm out to get a pair.

Now I just need to find a new hat to go with the suit :)

Edward

Bartender
I thought those shoes in the photo in the first post were Oxford, Balmoral being where the bits the lacing is on (blanking on the term there) sit produ, not sewn down closed, under the vamp(?) Is this something that varies UK/US, or have I picked it up wrong?

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
While I just received a pair of Strands in Walnut for Christmas and I do strongly favor wearing brown shoes with gray pants I don't think it would work with that suit. It's quite dark like others have said and I think it lends itself to a pair of black shoes to be on the safe side, and I would choose wingtips for it. However, a shoe in a rich dark burgundy would work very well also and would probably what I would go with personally. Something fully brogued would be nice, like the Strand in burgundy or something similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner