Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on cleaning a vintage dress

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
How old is it?

Has it been cleaned by a pro before?

Are you looking to clean it yourself, or have it taken somewhere?

How was it stored?

If the fabric is stable there are a number of places that specialize in wedding dresses. Because it is a cotton, and linen, you could glean it at home. If it were silk Id suggest taking it someplace. If you are looking to do it yourself, hand wash of course, but Ill let the other ladies suggest as to what to clean it with. :)

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
I was going to suggest French's in Pasadena, too, if you're willing to wait until you make it to the area again. (I wonder if they might let you ship the dress to them? But that's a whole new set of risks.)

They've done amazing work on white pieces for my husband and me, both new and vintage. I took them a white jacket once that has steel backed buttons, and they removed the buttons for cleaning and resewed them perfectly in place. I trust them to know stain removal and to stop before damaging an antique far, far better than I.

They have very odd hours and sometimes close for vacation, so make sure you call ahead. We don't go there every time, because their hours are difficult and they are a little pricey, but anytime a white piece needs a deep cleaning it goes to French's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183