Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Barber advice for a New Haircut Style

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Are there any barbers on here or anyone who has had this kinda haircut.
I have sported a 50's pomp for awhile but need to tone it down for the new job. The pic on my Avatar is what I'm looking to try for awhile. Classic late 50's early 60's " Dapper Dan" or Side Part. I've been told when you get a sharp part like this, that it's best to find a barber who will part it before cutting it, and will cut it the old school way, meaning leaving it long where the part starts and gradually shortening it as it goes over. I'm told this will help it lay better and form a better quiff in the front as well as make it easy to find the part each time, since the hair on the other side of the part will be much shorter. The only draw back I see to this, is if my hair falls out of place the bangs will be longer on one side. Hopefully there are barbers who still know this technique. Comments, Suggestions????

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I'm not a barber but a hairstylist, but this is a classic mens cut and most barbers should be able to do it with ease. My advice, look for one of the older barbers in the shop and wait for him. You are right that one side of the bangs will be longer than the other, but thats the way it's cut. Good luck!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I wear a similar style myself. But I had not been aware of making the hair shorter away from the parting. Sounds neat but difficult to do for a barber.

I get the top cut with a comb and a cut-throat blade.

TomHursonandBrianingreysuitMarch-6.jpg

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
woodyinnyc said:
I'm not a barber but a hairstylist, but this is a classic mens cut and most barbers should be able to do it with ease. My advice, look for one of the older barbers in the shop and wait for him. You are right that one side of the bangs will be longer than the other, but thats the way it's cut. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Woody. We have one barbershop in town that always has a couple of older gents cutting hair, the old fashioned kinda shop where they still do the straight razor shave and hot lather. I think I will give them a try. My girl-friend thinks this is style is too old fashioned, but I think it looks sharp if you keep it neatly slicked and grease the front up off the forehead.
Will let you know how it turns out. - Mike

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I think it's a great haircut and have worn mine similarly. While you're there go ahead splurge and get the shave. One of the best things you can do. Good luck.

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
woodyinnyc said:

Great advice! I am letting my hair grow out because I have grown tired of buzzing it myself and because I want to go back to my classic side-part. As such, I found a really great old time barber here in town and waited on him to cut my hair. I could not be happier with the result. It is still a little too short for a full part but it is well on its way. Those older gentlemen really know what they are doing.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Dutch McCoy said:
Great advice! I am letting my hair grow out because I have grown tired of buzzing it myself and because I want to go back to my classic side-part. As such, I found a really great old time barber here in town and waited on him to cut my hair. I could not be happier with the result. It is still a little too short for a full part but it is well on its way. Those older gentlemen really know what they are doing.

Glad to hear it! I'm planning to get mine done before next Monday when I start my new job, I'm still a little nervous, but I'm gonna try it. Mine should be more than long enough, if I pull down the front of my pomp, it's in front of my eyes.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Everything old is new again!

It all sounds good brylcream boy. Get the cut and the shave. It's a good experience and if you don't like it or if love ones doesn't well, just tell 'em that it'll always grow back after a few.;)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I think it looks sharp! Did you do it? Please show us!

Yes, it will be longer on the one side but usually the weight of the hair keeps it on the right side.

Nikki

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Did it and I'm happy!!

woodyinnyc said:

Your advice paid off Woody!! I finally went to get the cut yesterday. The barber is about 55, not real old. But I knew it was right place with the old time haircharts and all the Lucky-Tiger products he carries- he had it all, Hair Tonic, Hair Oil... you name it and he spent alot of time to try and get it right.
I ended up with a really nice short taper on sides and back and the top was left full but he used thinning shears, had never had that experience before, it sure made my hair lay alot better. The first thing he did was to expertly comb in and part it, their was a mirror in front and in back of me, I could see the whole thing. he basically cut off less hair at the part and as he worked to the other side he clipped it shorter and shorter, it keeps it weighted and the part stays in better. it was basically about down to my eyebrow at the part and mid forehead on the other side (it was angled). After he finished cutting it, I got the hot towel treatment and straight razor shave around ears and the neck.

He looked at the picture again and said you want it finished just like this?? I said yep, and he squirted out a handfull of tonic and massaged it thoroughy into my hair then he went to work reparting it and forming the flip (quiff) whatever it's called in the front. He then pulled out a stick (like a wax stick) and said this would really make it shine and asked if I was sure I wanted him to use it, as my hair would stay slick till I washed it. He worked it like a roll on gliding it over the parted hair and the front, it made my hair take on a oily kind of shine and made it look much darker and glossy. I asked what it was, he said it was called "Birken Brillantine" an old school product from germany. Then he made a final comb thru on the part and reslicked the front back over the top. Man did it look sharp in my suit. I decided to run back by my work office on the way home. I think it shocked a few people, but a couple of my office workers commented it was very classy. I think I am gonna keep it this way for a while. I must add the way he cut it made it pretty easy to comb the part in after my shower today and while I didn't slick it as heavily today, our VP of sales came up and told me I looked very professional!!!! I'll see if I can get a pic by the weekend, I'm really proud of it... sorry for the long post!! - Mike

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
I'm glad to hear it worked out for you! Sounds like a great experience with a truly old school barber. Next time, get the shave!

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I am also glad it worked out so well for you. Those old time guys really know what they are doing. Now that I have found my barber of choice, I just have to make sure he stays around a while. :)

griffer

Practically Family
Excellent. Sounds exactly like my hairstyle. In fact, need to get mine tightened up today.

I can still 'pomp' it up for weekends, but basically its a cut that works great at the commercial bank or with the gear heads, rocakbillys, and tattoo artists on the weekends.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
griffer said:
Excellent. Sounds exactly like my hairstyle. In fact, need to get mine tightened up today.

I can still 'pomp' it up for weekends, but basically its a cut that works great at the commercial bank or with the gear heads, rocakbillys, and tattoo artists on the weekends.

yeah part of me still wants to pomp it up, as I do like rockabilly, western swing, jazz and a place I frequent late week and weekends attracts rockabilly crowd... I'm not sure how well it will pomp up now.. with the part cut into it. Suppose I could pomp it and have a side part eh??

griffer

Practically Family
brylcreem boy said:
yeah part of me still wants to pomp it up, as I do like rockabilly, western swing, jazz and a place I frequent late week and weekends attracts rockabilly crowd... I'm not sure how well it will pomp up now.. with the part cut into it. Suppose I could pomp it and have a side part eh??

I do.

a dab of lay rite and a blowdryer.

Barry

Practically Family
I would like something like this myself. Lately, I've been getting a taper cut. I'm going on brief trip south and I think I have found the right barber to go to - provided he's still cutting hair. There was an article in the Virginian Pilot about him four years ago (March 13, 2003):

"A visit to Ed's Barber Shop on Colley Avenue is a trip down memory lane. No frills. No appointments. No blow dries, gels or highlights. Just a hair cut for $5.

"If we get weird stuff, we send them down the street," said Ed Siggers, the proprietor.

Siggers, 84, keeps it simple from his two-chair operation next to the Knitting Mill Grill. It's a trade he learned at his papa's knee."

I'll report back later on next week....

Barry

Practically Family
This might be a good place to start too....

http://www.archive.org/details/practiceandscien00thorrich

Thorpe, Sidney Coyne

Practice and science of standard barbering; a practical and complete course of training in basic barber services and related barber science. Prepared especially for use by barber schools, barber students, barber apprentices, practicing barbers in preparation for barber state board examinations (c1951)

(Includes hairstyling for men and women)

"The Art of Basic Haircutting; The Short Cut; The Medium Cut;
Medium Trim; Long Trim; Short Pompadour; Medium Pompadour;
Long Pompadour; Sideburns.

Special Problems; Hair Thinning; Shear Point Tapering; Beards;
Singeing.

Popular Hair Styles; For Men; For Boys; Principles of Men's Hair
Styling; Face with Regular Features; The Short Round Face; The
Long Thin Face. "

Great photos on pages 149-152....

Jerekson

One Too Many
As I've stated before in various threads, I got my hair cut last year based on the Indy haircut.

078.jpg

013.jpg

My barber now parts every time before he cuts it, and it turns out great every time.

It is cut to be parted, essentially.

What's cool about this haircut is that I can do it two ways. The first way is that I can gel/mousse and then blowdry, which gives it look as in the above picture. I like it like this; it fits my face. I do it like this most of the time.

The second way is to just gel it, part, and then slick back. That gives an effect like this:

PDVD_019.png

This is obviosuly more vintage-esque, and I believe this is close to the style you gentlemen are talking about.

I just got it cut this morning, actually.
What my barber does is he washes my hair, then slicks it back with his hands...parts it perfectly...and layers it accordingly to what you men were talking about; shorter on one side of the part and longer on the other. When I first got it cut he also used to use thinning shears on the parted side where it was incooperative, but since then I've trained my hair into the part and it stays nicely now.

If I wet my hair and press it to my forehead, it is not angled but straight across (think Dumb and Dumber). Once I style it up, it stays perfectly most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou