Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help ID'ing Harley Davidson Police jacket?

lucky23

One of the Regulars
I impulse bought this cool center-zip Harley jacket. Its a 46R and will probably be too big for me, I wear a 44R, but it was a steal ($86+free shipping) so I thought Id take the chance that it maybe, possibly might fit! Ive never seen an AMF jacket in this style anywhere. Judging from the badge grommet holes, it may have been a police coat. Anyone have any info on the date of this jacket?
bzvyQU5.jpg

fn6OOEK.jpg

Qer7e9v.jpg

YYJWzs0.jpg

de7t4L9.jpg

lucky23

One of the Regulars
That I know, thank you. What Im really perplexed by is that this label doesn't say AMF, which leads me to believe it may be earlier? All the other AMF era jackets Ive researched have the AMF logo on the tag...

TREEMAN

Call Me a Cab
The owner probably ripped it out !! Looks like it's in good condition......

Last edited:

lucky23

One of the Regulars
Its in great shape. I cant wait for it to get here! Ive been researching Harley jackets for 3 hours and haven't seen one like it. It has brass zippers and buttons, and I haven't seen ANY Harley jackets with brass. I thought for sure someone would have a page dedicated to old Harley jackets.

Last edited:
I believe these labels immediately predate the bowling conglomerate's acquisition of HD. So that would put your jacket around '67-'68.
If I'm not mistaken they returned to this style in 1982, before wille G got friskie with designs. So it could be '82 or later as well. Hard to say.

IXL

One Too Many
Its in great shape. I cant wait for it to get here! Ive been researching Harley jackets for 3 hours and haven't seen one like it. It has brass zippers and buttons, and I haven't seen ANY Harley jackets with brass. I thought for sure someone would have a page dedicated to old Harley jackets.

I purchased a new H-D jacket sometime around 2010 that has all brass zippers. It was out of production and on a sale rack. I've been unable to find it in any catalog, but it is one of the better-made H-D jackets I've ever encountered. I have no idea who the vendor for this jacket is, but they took no shortcuts on quality.

lucky23

One of the Regulars
I purchased a new H-D jacket sometime around 2010 that has all brass zippers. It was out of production and on a sale rack. I've been unable to find it in any catalog, but it is one of the better-made H-D jackets I've ever encountered. I have no idea who the vendor for this jacket is, but they took no shortcuts on quality.
The closest thing to it I could find was an HD Cycle Champ jacket on eBay that had the same tag with no AMF and the same typeface and they claimed it was from 1979.

lucky23

One of the Regulars
Well, I got the jacket in the mail and, alas, its a bit too big for me): It seems to be a true 46R. Im truly bummed because its a GREAT jacket. The leather is very thick, like my Langlitz. It's way better quality than my buddys Harley Cycle Champ jacket. Plus, I love the center zip CHP style. Oh well, bummer. Here's some better pix if anyones interested.
SYoEBJZ.jpg

ABBSHq1.jpg

KXgX5RY.jpg

nhpsext.jpg

Z11Ykci.jpg

nCjiqdC.jpg

lucky23

One of the Regulars
Heres the measurements:
Chest, armpit to armpit: 24.5"
Back, bottom of collar to bottom of jacket: 27.5"
Waist, cinched in: 20.5"