Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help to find ladies hat

nihil

One of the Regulars
I've promised my girlfriend to help her finding a vintage style hat that she likes. She decided on something along these lines:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The initial problem is that the seller offering this hat, doesn't want to ship to Denmark.

Then I figured that there probably are lots of the fine ladies here, that can point me to a vendor who carries similar hats?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
And make sure that you order the right size. That is very important. Apropos, here is a quote from Mary Ann's site.

The average hat size for women is 22 1/2 inches. Many of the in stock hats you see in the store are this size. If you need a hat in a different size, this is considered a Custom Order. Prices are as stated and no additional fees are charged to make a hat in your size.

nihil

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the suggestions. Is it also possible to find something similar, located in Europe, and at a lower price?

nihil

One of the Regulars
As little as possible really. It's for my girlfriend who just want to 'try out' a 1930/40s look, and therefore doesn't want to spend a fortune on it to begin with.

It's very inspired by this look, popularized by Faye Dunaway in Chinatown
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-v9ZW5XZyN...AUo/mUW66WGDmEM/s1600/chinatown-1974-07-g.jpg

After looking a bit more on it, it looks like a regular mens felt hat, that have been extensively reshaped. Perhaps I could 'make' a similar hat by acquiring a fedora and reshape the crown and brim, and then replace the ribbon with something more feminine?
I'm even considering wool felt, as I imagine the wool felt would be easier to rework into the right shape?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As little as possible really. It's for my girlfriend who just want to 'try out' a 1930/40s look, and therefore doesn't want to spend a fortune on it to begin with.

It's very inspired by this look, popularized by Faye Dunaway in Chinatown
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-v9ZW5XZyN...AUo/mUW66WGDmEM/s1600/chinatown-1974-07-g.jpg

After looking a bit more on it, it looks like a regular mens felt hat, that have been extensively reshaped. Perhaps I could 'make' a similar hat by acquiring a fedora and reshape the crown and brim, and then replace the ribbon with something more feminine?
I'm even considering wool felt, as I imagine the wool felt would be easier to rework into the right shape?

Have you tried asking some of the ladies in the "Powder Room" here on the Forum? With as many that are into vintage clothing you might get MORE and BETTER response to your question from them than what us guys can give :)

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
Mary Anne from Couture hats does wool too. I suggest you email her and get a price quote from her; or call her. Not that I am advertising her work, just that she is local :) and lady-hats are her thing.

regarding spending as little as possible: I am sure you can find something made of wool or some other material in a costume shop if you really wanted to. if this hat is going to get actual wear then I suggest you go to a store, try on as many hats as you can both tolerate and find what suits her. if she likes the look, go custom either with Couture hats or a similar vendor/milliner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner