Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEED HELP!!

I apologize if this is not the correct place for this but I really didn't know where to put it. Here's the situation...

My girlfriend's grandmother passed away a few years ago. When we went to get some of her old belongings, my GF wanted this cedar chest. The only problem is, there are a few planks missing on the bottom and it has a lot of scratches and a few chips. She took it more so for sentimentality, but as it stands right now, it has no functionality. We've toyed with the idea of having it restored. My GF's mother's husband is a woodworker by trade and offered to fix it up. My question is, does anyone know the value of this chest? Do you think it's a good idea for him to restore it, or should it be done by an antique furniture restoration place? Finally, any idea what it would cost?

The chest is apparently from the Roos company, and has a date stamp on the paper inside of 1948. Here are some photos that show both the condition and overall chest. I would also appreciate any history on these kinds of chests if anyone knows it :)

chest1zm0.jpg

chest2uh1.jpg

chest3vt2.jpg

chest4bw2.jpg

chest5ai8.jpg

chest6gs8.jpg

chest7ht4.jpg

chest8un6.jpg

chest9xu9.jpg

Miss Brill

One Too Many
That is very pretty, I love cedar chests & usually see them for $200-$300 at antique stores. I'm big on leaving things alone & living with the imperfections. To some collectors you devalue things if you repair them, but if it is to be used, I'd say fix it up.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Here is a site that has a chest exactly like that one, except it has a base & feet. It says it is worth $200-$250.

The Ed. Roos Co. manufactured quality cedar chests from about 1916 to 1951. Most of those years they were located in Forest Park, IL. They were very successful for a time and made a large quantity of cedar chests. Because of that they are not particularly scarce. They are, however, of very good quality and were manufactured in quite a few styles. The style and condition are the determining factors in value.

The one pictured below is in the more common Art Deco "waterfall" style. It is, however, in better condition and would be worth about $200-$250.
roos20cedar20chest2-46runurpt.jpg

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Indeed, repairing antique or vintage things should always been taken with care. However, some things which are broken can be increased in value if repaired as well, if repairs are such that makes the item usable as well as looking good. For instance if you were to put in a new bottom in the chest without interfering with the rest of the chest that should be considered an okay repair since it increases the usability of the chest as a whole. Should definitely be done by a skilled craftman though.

With a chest of that price you can afford to fix up and use it. Since it looks rather worn you'd be lucky to get much money if you were to sell it, since the pristine ones go for under $300. Yours also seem to be missing the base, so that would decrease the monetary value further. Still a nice chest though and could look even nicer with a little bit of careful restoration if you want it to look new. I say, aside from cleaning and regular protective polish, to leave the outside alone though.

Great advice from both of you, thanks! :) I went back and took a really close look at the chest and I believe it once had those legs on the bottom. They must've broken off over the years or something. So, this chest IS the same chest as the one we have.....

Roos%20Cedar%20Chest2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou