Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Some Help With Valuation

CRAZYBUBBA

Familiar Face
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right forum but I have a vintage 50s? Californian jacket I'm considering trading/selling can't seem to find any eBay comparables for. Where can I go for advice?
1659443e82e58eb398b390511bc0718c.jpg
cb08094a119b68ac5d1515fbfba9c3f4.jpg

Yeah Max is killing the value I'd think. Without that jackass I'd think around $350-$500? Fairly rare and from a highly sought after vintage maker.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Hey guys, I don't know if this is the right forum but I have a vintage 50s? Californian jacket I'm considering trading/selling can't seem to find any eBay comparables for. Where can I go for advice?
1659443e82e58eb398b390511bc0718c.jpg
cb08094a119b68ac5d1515fbfba9c3f4.jpg
Unfortunately even if you remove the patch, it will still have needle holes, spoiling it. Some may not care, but I would pass on it at any price. Without patch, and no holes, probably around $500, if you're patient.

lina

Practically Family
Looks like the Californian label with pink mountains, is that right? If so, Rin Tanaka says that's the first label (the second had green mountains). So possibly older than 1950s..? Though it sure looks like a 50s jacket.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Is Max sewn on or glued on? If glued on, you should be able to get rid of it if you get the right stuff to loosen the glue. If sewn on, the jacket is worth close to nothing, as it's a "stupid Max or many holes"-situation. Maybe for someone who wants to put a different design onto the back? America flag or something..

edit; just noticed, is the left part of the belt sewn on lower than the right? Looks asymetrical to me. If so, it was altered which again may affect the value.

CRAZYBUBBA

Familiar Face
I made that mistake with a M-422A once and it sold for $385.
I think it doesn't fit me as well as I'd like anymore, but I'd hate to lose it again to curiosity.

Edit: Max is painted on, and I actually liked that when I first bought it!! :D

You can find it's value by putting up and eBay auction and letting bidders decide. "Worth" is only that - what someone is willing to pay for something...who knows, if you find a donkey loving guy like my Dad, it may be valuable.

I made that mistake with a M-422A once and it sold for $385.
I think it doesn't fit me as well as I'd like anymore, but I'd hate to lose it again to curiosity.

Edit: Max is painted on, and I actually liked that when I first bought it!! :D
Yeah, well, that's what it was worth at the time...so to speak.
What size is it? Sometimes larger vintage can get more $$$

That's my old man (he has donkeys!) -"horses are dumb as hell". Any time I point out a nice horse, he repeats it LOL!

I couldn't agree more with your dad. And aside from being dumb, horses can be real asses as well. Vengeful, spiteful and plain mean.

Seriously, though... If you're looking to sell it, wipe off Max as it's really might be killing the profit and the jacket could bring in a clean $500. Californian as a brand is always sought after and it's a very nice jacket. Hell, I want it. They're around $400 to $800 and up, depending on the style. Good thing it's a popular style. A nice motorcycle jacket like that could bring in some good money.

Max would be a huge plus in Japan, tho. I'm willing to bet he'd probably bring you in even more money there.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Nice Jacket.

The Californian labeled jackets are always the nicest quality. I like this style, but probably not as popular as the D pocket. This one has something extra with the pocket trim. all the zips have to be original and well sewn, no fraying on lining. Lot of competition in this style.

I've seen quite a few Californian labeled MC jackets in various configurations. they show up on ebay.

The back patch would be of no interest to me.

Larger, 42/44 sizes are more in demand.

Everyone I read is talking 4-$500. sounds in the range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot