Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Some Screen Cap Know How

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I am both impatient and techincally inept. I can't take decent digital pictures to save my life and find it time consuming and frustrating saving them onto my computer then putting them in photobucket and all that. I would love to be able to get some screen shots of a few of my dvds though, but I have no idea how to do so. I press Printscreen but never get anything but a black field where the dvd image should be. My print screen program is not part of my Dell or Office package, it is provided by something called Gadwin systems.

If anyone can help me figure out how to capture images from a dvd I'd really appreciate it. I hate being the least technologically savvy guy in the room. Oh shame!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, a Stock Apple iBook G4 will take screen-grabs with a specific technique. A PC requires software for screen-grabs. I'm sure someone here will recommend a good software for you.

My expertise ends at the Apple... sorry.

Irena

One of the Regulars
I use PowerDVD to watch DVDs on my PC, and all I need to do is press "C" while the movie is playing or paused. The images save automatically into My Documents, but I think you can go into "Properties" and change their destination. I hope this helps!

Oh, there is also a little option button on the little player bar, but it's much easier to just use the keyboard.

Baggers

Practically Family
You may need a DVD player. I use an earlier version of PowerDVD that came with the PC I bought about two years ago. It also came with the Gateway Laptop that my wife got for her birthday last year. It uses either a hotkey stroke or mouse click to capture frame grabs like this one:

Quartermain.jpg

And, yes, I'm amassing a collection of stills in order to pursue the Quartermain Vest. If anyone's interested, I'm willing to share. ;)

Cheers!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Now I can spend my spare time :rolleyes: gathering screen shots to share with you FLoungers! Thanks guys.

jackandidako7.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Always interested, Baggers!

Well, I won't hijack this thread. Suffice to say that I'm collecting frame grabs at this point. I'll post something in the General Attire and Accoutrements section as soon as I can sort through them and pick the best ones for the purpose.

But back on topic, jake_fink, what was the secret to sorting out your problem? Is it something proprietary to Gadwin, or is it something that could be used with, say, Windows Media Player (with which I have the same issue)?

Cheers!

P.S. "FLoungers," I like that!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
interesting stuff

someday Maybe I'll get the screen grabs of the fictional Jake Speed books that are shown In the movie "Jake Speed". Then again I'm still trying to figure out the basics of my computer and Word programs.:eek:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Etienne

A-List Customer
Maybe we should have a ''Technically Challenged" award one of these days! Frankly, despite the confessions some have given, I would nominate ME!!! I cannot believe how dumb I am about computers!!! I should just break down and take a class or two, I guess, because I am quite mechanically adept and decent at a number of other things, but the computer remains a mystery to me in SO many ways! Do you just have to be young or what????????!!!!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use a freeware program called ScreenHunter version 4.0 that will do all you need www.wisdom-soft.com. Like most utilities, there is a free version and a pay for one that usually doesn't do all that much more. Do a web search for additional downlaod sites.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I tried the VideoLAN, but the quality of the video is really poor. I used the default settings, but followed the instructions here to turn off the hardware overlay. Are there some special instructions to set the video quality higher? Here's the quality that I got:

CliffSecordandJenny.jpg

Pretty crappy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo