Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need to shrink Akubra Please help

texcowboy

New in Town
My 11 year old daughter brought an Akubra Snowy River back to me from Australia. It is size 61cm. My head measures 23" or size 59cm so I need to shrink it to fit. I have tried putting felt inside the headband and that is not enough.

Can I soak it in hot water and oven dry it at about 120*F or so and actualy shrink it enough to reduce the size? I don't want to return the hat to Australia because it is special to me that she picked it out.

Any ideas are welcome, thank you

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Try flipping the sweatband so that it sticks out. Then wet the inside part a little bit. Leave the sweatband in it's stick-out position and place it on a lampshade in your house. Turn on the lamp and let the hat sit there for about 10 minutes. Check the fit. If it's smaller but not tight enough, sit it back on for 5-10 more minutes but don't leave it unattended.

I've also been told leaving it in a car during the summer can shrink it. Looks like you're in Texas, so your car probably gets really hot like mine does and that might work too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy